2000 Steel Grey ACR, Is This a Good Deal? Lots of Pics.

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a 2000 ACR Steel Grey with factory stripes. It has 17,000 miles on it and they are asking $54,999. The guy said he would go down to $54,000. Here are some pics, what do you think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Paint blemish behind the rear tire, seems normal for a 17,000 car with huge tires, no?

Bad pic of the rear brakes. Those are not stock rotors, are they?

Few more fine chips on the door sill where it bumps out.

Scratch on the door.

These are under the front bumper. Kind of impossible to avoid if you ask me.

Picture came out very bad as you can see. But there was a small chunk ripped off the edge of the bumper. Nothing major IMO as it is under the bumper and bound to happen.

Every thing look normal under there from what you can see?

Tread seems to be getting low.

If you notice right behind the shifter, a part of the center console popped out of place. I have no idea how Viper interior pieces are and how they fit into place, so is that a big deal or is it something that can be easily popped back in? Also notice the indentation on the center armrest area.

Warranty, only seems to be a month long??

VIN. I know it doesn't always show everything, but can someone run a carax for me if at all possible? Thanks in advance.

VIN 1B3ER69E3YV603022

So what do you guys think? Should I offer $52,000 and see if they counter with $53,000? Last week the guy said he would take $54,000....going down from the $54,900 sticker. Between the tires and the scratch on the door, I'm thinking I should offer like $52,000. I'm sure tires are expensive for these cars, correct?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

Blue Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car looks good to me. Looks like normal things. Has it had any paintwork on the rear bumper? It looks like to me on the third pic down from the top (Exhaust pic) that the stripes seems a little rough on the edges. Like they was taped off or something? Not for sure though.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you can find a much better deal. Maybe a few grand more than the 52k, but you should be able to get a cleaner car. While I understand it has 17k on the odometer it really does not look all that clean to me. The armrest looks busted BTW (cracked and would need to be replaced). Just my opinion but I would pass on this one.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice color combination! The body blemishes are acceptable for a car with that mileage.

The under carriage bolts are very rusty on the drivers side rear. Could be
from battery acid that ran down the frame rail. The bolt for the battery cover is not tight.

What does the engine compartment look like?

It does not look like the typical VCA member car that was pampered.

Even if they lowered the price considerably I would not proceed unless a Viper Tech gives it a clean bill of health. IMHO

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car looks good to me. Looks like normal things. Has it had any paintwork on the rear bumper? It looks like to me on the third pic down from the top (Exhaust pic) that the stripes seems a little rough on the edges. Like they was taped off or something? Not for sure though.
I'm not sure about the paint work. But I do see what you mean about the rough edges on the stripes.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you can find a much better deal. Maybe a few grand more than the 52k, but you should be able to get a cleaner car. While I understand it has 17k on the odometer it really does not look all that clean to me. The armrest looks busted BTW (cracked and would need to be replaced). Just my opinion but I would pass on this one.
Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice color combination! The body blemishes are acceptable for a car with that mileage. The console is cracked which is not uncommon. Jon B at Parts Rack would be a good source.

The under carriage bolts are very rusty almost like the car was stored in a very damp garage or possibly in standing water(as in flood). There is a bolt that is not tight. Looks like its for the battery cover. What does the engine compartment look like?

I would not proceed unless a Viper Tech gives it a clean bill of health. IMHO
So you think the console is definitely busted huh? Price to fix?

Yeah, I noticed how rusty the bolts were as well. Kind of makes you wonder.

Thanks for your post.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Nice color combination! The body blemishes are acceptable for a car with that mileage. The console is cracked which is not uncommon. Jon B at Parts Rack would be a good source.

The under carriage bolts are very rusty almost like the car was stored in a very damp garage or possibly in standing water(as in flood). There is a bolt that is not tight. Looks like its for the battery cover. What does the engine compartment look like?

I would not proceed unless a Viper Tech gives it a clean bill of health. IMHO

I noticed the same things and the rust and the loose bolt bother me. Good question about how does the engine compartment look? How does it run? Car looks rode hard and put away wet to me. :p I'd pass. If I was buying used I'd shop the VCA classifieds.

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah....the rusted bolts would make me nervous.

Console is definitely busted...but easily fixed.

The car looks nice from afar, but you should be able to find a cleaner car for that price.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only have one pic of the engine. It was taken last week, it was pretty dirty.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What the guys above said. Definitely proceed with caution. Lots of red flags to me. Some repaint, interior busted up, etc. I would think you can find several cars that are in better shape, although they may cost a little more. If a Viper Tech says it's sound and you still want it, I would beat them up on price a lot. What do you figure they really have in it? I would guess it was purchased wholesale for maybe $40 or so?

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said the guy that owned it called them up and said he was looking to sell it. Also, he was the second owner of the car.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The edges of the stripes are rough because those are decals, not painted on like the 'real' stripes. If you look at the picture of the NACA duct, the stripes are not even on both sides. There is more space between the stripe edge and duct on the drivers side than on the passengers side which means those stripes are aftermarket. $54,000 is too much.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed the warranty. 50% on parts and labor for 30days is not acceptable. Viper parts carry a HUGE TAX :eek: and 30days is not nearly enough since the weather will limit your seat time.

Call Bill at Woodhouse for a worry free transaction.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed the warranty. 50% on parts and labor for 30days is not acceptable. Viper parts carry a HUGE TAX :eek: and 30days is not nearly enough since the weather will limit your seat time.

Yeah, but some other used Vipers don't have any warranty at all.

What is the factory warranty, 5 years?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 in the VCA classifieds.....with lots of extras:

7616.jpg

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, but some other used Vipers don't have any warranty at all.

What is the factory warranty, 5 years?

The best deal would be a Viper that is covered by the Dodge Max Care (7yr.) extended warranty. It can be transferred to a new owner for a nominal fee.The standard warranty is 3yrs.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ultimately I would like an 02 for the warranty reason alone.

But they seem to be in the $60,000 range, more than I'm looking to pay.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price of that car should begin with a 4.
I agree, with no warrenty you have to build in a little insurance for yourself. Don't talk yourself into thinking the paint condition is OK for that mileage. Fixing the rear bumper tear, door scratch and other body panels just painting alone is probably 2K. Unless this price is significantly reduced I would run away fast!! Heck my 98 with 20K in track miles looks better than this car.

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gene

I have a perfect 00 GTS steel Gray with factory stripes only 6K miles. 19" Purners, cat-back exhaust.

e-mail me at [email protected] if interested.

I am going through PA. at the end of the week with an empty enclosed trailer. Could drop it off. A few of the NY members can vouch for the car.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gene

I have a perfect 00 GTS steel Gray with factory stripes only 6K miles. 19" Purners, cat-back exhaust.

e-mail me at [email protected] if interested.

I am going through PA. at the end of the week with an empty enclosed trailer. Could drop it off. A few of the NY members can vouch for the car.
I wish I could get it from you this week, but in all honesty, I plan to atleast wait until mid Janurary to purchase a Viper. I still need to sell my 03 Cobra before I buy the Viper.

If you still have it in a month or two, I'll most likely buy it from you then.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gene. Take a copy of this thread to the dealer and see if they will negotiate in the 4?K range. :bonker:

Some of us are very fussy, like me for example. :curse: Others consider their Viper as a driver, like the previous owner of this car, and will except the flaws.

How fussy are you? LOL

The stuff in the pictures can be fixed.I would be more concerned about the details we don't see and hear. Rick

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gene that car you have your eye on is very shady for all of the reasons mentioned above. Its obvious to most of us on the forum that you can get a car that is in much nicer condition for close to the same price. Twin Vipers (Jeff) has the same color car combination and year available. Jeff's Viper GTS was also well taken care of, is in mint condition, and needs nothing. If you want me to get more info on it let me know. Its a very original clean car worth taking a look at.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 DODGE VIPER GTS (1B3ER69E3YV603022).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

09/19/2000 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tarrytown, NY
Registered as
lease vehicle

09/19/2000 5 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tarrytown, NY