2001-01 Engine Noise Revisited..any ideas?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The posts earlier this week got me thinking about this engine noise issue, and caused me to come back to it. It was my understanding that the newer Vipers (00-01) did indeed have considerably louder valvetrain noise than earlier Vipers. Is this really true? I can hear the valves in certain conditions while driving. With the hood up, and the engine at operating temp, the valve noise is quite evident, especially considering hydraulic lifters. Friends at the local Sunoco seem to think one side is louder, although I can't hear that myself in my driveway. I can imagine that the cam profile and synthetic oil could cause this, but I am not a tech. Anyone have any thoughts?
(I know that my '94 & '96 did not have this much noise in this area) Also, any Viper techs in the Philly area that could give a listen? In closing, I will say that if indeed this is a normal condition, I have no problem with it...I'd just like to get it off my mind.

Rich00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

I have often wondered about the valvetrain noise on my '00. I may have mentioned it to you at the Carlisle show.

If the weather holds for this weekend the SAE society has a big car show near me. There should be 10+ Vipers there. If any are '00-'01 we can start them up and compare.

I'll let you know.

Rich

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Comparing the noise of valve trains as best as I can with 95, 96, 97, 99, and 01.....01 seems noticeably "busier", louder.

Rich00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from SAE show. Lots of rain during last part of show. There were only 4 vipers present, '95,'96,'00,'01. The owners of the earlier cars say that the early cars were even noiser ( more valve train noise) than the '00 and '01.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help much.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich-thanks for the try. I am sure that our cars are "normal", but it's always nice to have some reassurance. I'll let you know what I find out.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget, there is a perceived noise and sound pressure level, which differs given the individual, and the setting.

Depending on the person, their mood, and the conditions or settings, the perceived noise or sound level will be different in each case.

At the same time, I doubt if all similar Vipers are adjusted exactly the same. Check the specifications.

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt- I am on my second '01 GTS. The first had a very annoying lifter tick, especially at 1500 rpms in the first 3 gears. At 250 miles , it was evident to me at all rpm ranges. I used to build motors and have a sharp ear for this stuff. Some friends thought it was normal- I said no way. My tech ran it throgh some simple tests and called DC who confirmed it was a bent cam. They crated the motor and sent it to Arrow who did a great job, but I refused to settle for anything less than a new car. I was able to use the arrow viper until my new GTS came in. Guess what-same noisy valvetrain and it runs much weaker so far. The first motor had no end to its power, this one flattens out. I'm pretty certain its the new Rhoads type lifters causing the problem. Since it is normal for 2001's and 2000's to sound this way, I guess I'll have to live with it until I install a cat back system . Good Luck

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '00 has a noticeable click even inside while driving. I was told this was the fuel injection system.

Car drives strong. It is also my understanding that an arrow rebuilt engine is better than stock.

Any thoughts on either of these?

Jeff

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first viper I own. A 2001 R/T. I don't hear anything disturbing from the engine. Have had it in for this and that to the Vipertech and he never mentioned any noise problems so i guess mine is fine.

Like someone had mentioned I guess it is what your used to.

Tony, it is nice to hear you made them give you another car!!!
that is the only acceptable option on cars that cost this much.

hope this helps alittle
JIM

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also built many motors & I too have a good ear. The valvetrain noise in my Vipers has always bothered me. I'm always wondering if something is wrong and have pulled the valve covers off a couple of times to check. What it comes down to is that Vipers have a noisy valvetrain! Nothing to fear, they all sound that way.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm going with Jeff! INJECTORS! Always were noisy, but since the creampuffs are much more quiet, each sound becomes more noticeable.