2001 GTS Alignment

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While my car was in the air for the winter cleaning, I noticed the inside edge of each front tire wearing badly. I looked at the alignment specs that the last owner had, left front has -1.9 camber, right front has -2.0, seems pretty aggressive for the street. I know the last owner did a few track days with the viper club, but I do not track the car at all. My question is, can I just knock the camber down to -.75 on each side, or do I need to get the entire car realigned?

Thanks all, springs almost here in Chicago:drive:

marty

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz had some numbers from his alignment. I used them. I can post them tonight if someone doesn't have them. Id do them all personally since things change.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is an aggresive street alignmant as that pretty much what I run. You could take it down to -1 or so. What were the backs @?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is an area I could learn more in, I'm pretty good with aliments, no matter what I take my cars in once a year even with limited added driving miles and have it put back to factory spec, I would like to learn what is acceptable "out of spec alignments" for different driving applications. I will be reading that link

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't get into the toe which should be pretty much neutral, the camber I had my 2000 Viper set at for everyday driving and track applications (street/track) was -1.3 in the front and -0.9 in the rear, it was a happy compromise.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car will never be driven in an auto cross or track event, mostly a highway car. Just wondering if I can leave the rears alone and knock out 1 degree of camber on the front end or align the entire car?

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had similar Qs before, here are the OEM specs and what I will go with for "aggressive street driving" (without eating through my PS2s within about 10k miles)

Service manual for a 2002: [pm=plusminus]
CAMBER...............front -0,20° pm 0,20°.............rear -0,50° pm 0,20°
CASTER................front +6,0° pm 0,50°.............rear +1,0° pm 0,50°
cross caster (maximum side-to-side differential) 0,50° front and rear
TOE (per wheel)...front +0,05° pm 0,04°...........rear +0,10° pm 0,04°
toe maximum side-to-side differential 0,04° front and rear

Conclusion (good for me)
Front:
Caster: +6 deg (stock)
Camber: - 1 deg
Toe-in: 0.04 deg (per wheel)
Rear