2001 GTS and NOS

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those experienced with Vipers and NOS, what would you consider a safe amount of NOS to run on an 01? What would you consider the max I could run? I probably won't use it all that much (well, at least that's the plan), but it would be nice to have just in case I need it :) . Right now the car is completely stock.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true, but most will agree on an NX or BTR setup and a good tune.

hard to go wrong with either one of them.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run a TNT system on my 01. First couple times at the track stayed at a 100 shot and the last time I used the 150 and made a few passes. Have used the 150 shot quite a bit on the street. It has been tuned with the VEC2 and runs really strong. I also have a set of heads and a cam in the car, but yes a 150 shot is considered safe but definetly do some initial tuning.

John

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 150 shot on my '02, After my heads /cam, my car was running really rich. Last time at the track, I ran 136 mph in the 1/4 with street tires.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe most nitrous manufacturers feel 150 is safe based on what they have learned from all the V8 motors. Since there is an abundance of fbodies and vettes running around using 150, for the most part, reliably, they feel the same holds true for the Viper with hypercrap pistons.

But maybe the motor will hold more safely. We are working with more volume so maybe a 200 shot would be safe or a 250. I know there are several vettes running 250 shots all day long and other blowing up on 150, so go figure. It is a gamble either way, but that is why I have an extra set of pistons waiting to be installed if need be. But honestly, if it is tuned good than spray away and let us know where the limit is.

Nice mph PJ.

OP
OP

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just curious, what would be your guys best guess be for a stock Viper (just smooth tubes and filters) in the quarter on street tires? ET and MPH?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just curious, what would be your guys best guess be for a stock Viper (just smooth tubes and filters) in the quarter on street tires? ET and MPH?

Depends on the driver, but anywhere from 11.8 to 12.5. Most get 118-120 MPH.

I do have a new NOS 5180 Nitrous kit (minus bottle and heater). Can be dialed from 75-125. New they cost $1200 from Summit, but selling mine for $550. :2tu:

OP
OP

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have read over what I typed... I meant an otherwise stock viper with a 150 shot. PRVT JET said he trapped 136mph on street tires, but he has a heads/cam car. I am wondering what I could expect with just a 150 shot.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
PRVT JET,

Get some tires. You won't believe what drag radials can do for your performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala