2001 GTS Passenger Headlight Problem

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my passenger headlight. It went out so I decided it was a good time to install a set of PIAA's. When I installed them the drivers bulb turned right on, but it took the passenger side a few seconds to turn on. Now the passenger headlight is out again I found out this morning. I haven't had a chance to pull the bulb to inspect, but I have a feeling the bulb is fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did a quick search on here and the only thing I could find was possibly a headlight switch issue, but that was on a Gen I car, not sure if they have changed between generations.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try clicking your headlights on, immediately turning them off, turning them right back on? Depending on what the startup voltage is required for those bulbs they might both be pulling too much at the same time and won't ignite. I run into this with my HID's. I turn my headlights on, one hid ignites, turn off, turn right back on the other ignites. The solution for my situation is to add a relay so they have more power.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: So I figured out my problem, the connector is partially melted around one of the two female terminals. Judging by the damage it was done before I swapped bulbs and I simply didn't notice it (shame on me for not being more observant).

So new question: what could cause the connector to melt?

I called my dealership to find out about ordering a new harness and the price tag was over $2k! So that is out. At the very least I need to get a new connector; KNG SNKE do you have any low beam headlight connectors, or harness? Supposedly the harness is 2001-2002 specific, but I would think the connectors would all be the same since it is a 9005 bulb.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, concerning your question, What would cause the connector to melt? First thing that comes to mind is a poor or dirty connection. If the connection is intermittent, every time it reconnects you could create an electrical arc. Do this repeatedly and fast enough, you can generate enough heat to melt the connector.

Anyway, that is one way it could have happened. Another way would be using bulbs with too high of a wattage rating.

Hope that you get it sorted out.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huge thanks to KNG SNKE for sending me the harness I needed, now I can get my headlight fixed!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235