2001 GTS Water Pump Replacement

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Well, my 2001 GTS gave up its water pump at the end of last year. I was experiencing fluctuating temps, and noticed that the temp gage would read higher than normal. The temp gage never got anywhere near being too hot, I just noticed that it was fluctuating more than normal. I also did not have hot air blowing out of the heater like it should. I purchased a new water pump and gasket from Dodge and removed the old pump today. When I examined the pump, I could hold the shaft and spin the impeller in my hand. Great design by Dodge:mad:. I have attached some pictures. If anyone has any questions let me know. The Viper is sitting on my Kwik Lift. It's a really cool lift and makes a job like this much easier.

I am going to use the Snapon vacuum RadKitPlus Radiator re filler instead of trying to tackle the stupid air bleeder plug on the thermostat housing. I will let everyone know how that works when I am done.

Attachments

• P3140001.jpg
    P3140001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 91
  • P3140006.jpg
    P3140006.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 95

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to tackle this project in the next month or so...keep the pictures coming...a nice DIY description would be a plus :D.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I examined the pump, I could hold the shaft and spin the impeller in my hand. Great design by Dodge:mad:.

The
"design" works. The problem with those water pumps that ended up on late 00 and many of the 01's, is that the vendor assembling the impellers did not bring up the plastic impeller to the correct temperature for pressing the steel sleeve into the impellers hub. At the temp that they used, it would put small fractures in the impellers hub which has lead to failures. I was told at that time, that they [CAAP] did not know how many defective WP's there were and some of them had been sitting in stock for almost two years. "Keep an eye on your temp gauge when.... :drive: !"

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the pump isn't going bad on my 97. It's running a lot hotter than normal. Anybody got any suggestions on how I can check it without removing it?

OP
OP
S

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks since I started this project, but the end is in sight. I have the new pump installed and a new set of radiator hoses. I flushed the overflow bottle using a cool vacuum pump that I got a while ago from Griot's garage. I think you can get from a few other places too, but it does a great job of siphoning fluids. Differential, Power steering, brake bleeding, etc. It comes with different plastic tubes and attachments. I used a set of pipe plug sockets from snap on to get the engine block drain plugs out. 5/16 did the job. You can see the driver's side plug in the picture. It's the easiest one. The passenger side plug is easy to get to, but tends to make more of a mess draining since there is a sensor right below it. I covered the sensor with plastic wrap before I loosened the plug. Good I idea believe me. I will be doing the coolant refill process next. Any questions let me know.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice pics and progress write up

clean engine btw

i'm interested as to how the Snapon vacuum RadKitPlus Radiator re filler works out

:eater:

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone make a replacement water pump for an 01 that has a metal impeller? I have replaced my water pump twice now and it just went out again. I got almost 6k miles out if this last one. I getting pretty sick of this. I do an occasional track day and dont mind paying more for a better product.

OP
OP
S

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Water Pump replacement is all done. The Snapon Radkitplus works great on the Viper. It creates a vacuum in the cooling system and then allows you to replace the vacuum with coolant, eliminating air pockets and the need to burp the cooling system. All, I had to do was run the engine through a few heat/cool cycles to remove any final air, and that was it.

Also, when you create the vacuum before you fill with coolant, you get the added benefit of knowing if you have any leaks since you can see if you are holding a steady vacuum.

RADKITPLUSA, Vacuum/Filler, Cooling System

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up and pics. Just tackled this project a couple of months ago. Everything went smoothly except removing the old gasket. What a pain in the ***.

Thanks for your help Steve! (281Cammer)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water Pump replacement is all done. The Snapon Radkitplus works great on the Viper. It creates a vacuum in the cooling system and then allows you to replace the vacuum with coolant, eliminating air pockets and the need to burp the cooling system. All, I had to do was run the engine through a few heat/cool cycles to remove any final air, and that was it.

This sounds like an interesting procedure that I haven't seen mentioned before. I'd be interested in a little more description of how it is used. Where does it connect to draw a vacuum, and where do you put in coolant? Do you continuously draw a vacuum while filling coolant, or shut the vacuum source off? (Trying to picture how the vacuum source would not **** out coolant.) What I am thinking is, how could I try this with my cheap Harbor Freight venturi pump. I haven't had an issue with burping the system; but, I like experimenting.

OP
OP
S

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would agree that removing the gasket from the face of the timing cover where the water pump mounts was the worst part of this process. It's hard to get your hands and tools into that space. I used a gasket removal chemical, but it still is a pain.

OP
OP
S

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You connect the RADKITPLUS to the mouth of the pressurized recovery tank. It has various rubber adapters and attaches by expanding to make a tight fit as you turn a compression fitting to snug it up. First you create the vacuum and shut your compressor off. Then you use another part of the RADKITPLUS assembly to **** coolant into the coolant system via a hose. You control the fill rate with a valve. So instead of sucking back in air, the vacuum that was created ***** back in coolant. It's a very well made tool, like most of the Snap-On Tools are.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You connect the RADKITPLUS to the mouth of the pressurized recovery tank. It has various rubber adapters and attaches by expanding to make a tight fit as you turn a compression fitting to snug it up. First you create the vacuum and shut your compressor off. Then you use another part of the RADKITPLUS assembly to **** coolant into the coolant system via a hose. You control the fill rate with a valve. So instead of sucking back in air, the vacuum that was created ***** back in coolant. It's a very well made tool, like most of the Snap-On Tools are.

Thanks! I got it now! Don't know why that didn't occur to me right off. Pull a vacuum, and then turn a valve on that hose, switching from the vacuum source to the new-coolant source.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang