2001 hardtop problem

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always heard a rattle when I drive the car with the factory hardtop on.. today I bothered me so much right behind the driverseat I investigated it. and I found that even though both rear latches catch the one behind the passenger seat goes into the car about 1" to a 1-1/2" the drivers side only goes about 1/4" - 1/2".
So it latches, but doesn't latch tight enough to stop the endless
rattle!!
I have reviewed the owner's manual and owner's video many times so I know that I am installing it correctly.

Can this be fixed or will I need a whole new roof panel?????
has anyone else had a poor fit or rattle with the factory top??
thanks
JIM

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very easy to fix, I have a 99 which had the same problem when I bought it(even though the dealer said it was adjusted).
Here is the fix: Tools you will need are the two wrenches which were included with your roof.

1)look at your drivers side roof(off the car) and find the bolt which keeps the clips from sliding and loosen the clips. Slide them further out and tighten.
2)Install roof on car and see how they fit, if its still not right then repeat step 1 till it is.
3)Now if you are still getting noise after you adjusted it correct, then there is another fix which dodge does not tell us about. Use electrical tape on the clips to keep them from ratleing on each other. Most of the noise you hear is made by the clips which are just bouncing away against each other. This procedure may not be the most sattisfying but trust me its the only 1 I have found to work perfectly. And you will need to retape the clips everytime you remove the roof, 1 min of time and your rattles are gone.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ M

i will try it..
but i never got any "tools" with the roof just 1 alan wrench in a plastic baggie,to use on the front bolts..

Will this help the depth of the clip in the car as well????

again it only comes in about 1/4 "
besides the rattle it would be nice if it would come in as much as the passenger side...
i will let you know...
thanks
JIM

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, only 1 alan wrench? Mine came with 2, anyways just get the other at a local harware store. I am not sure what size it is, but that is the only you will need to do the adjustment.

PS. Dont move the clips too far out, that makes them even louder. You may want to slide the passanger side ones in a bit more if you want them to be equal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad