2002 RT/10 clunking noise when shifting

Kincaid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2002 RT/10 with 8500 miles on it. Sometimes when I upshift or downshift at lower speeds I get a clunking noise. This does not always happen but when I have slack in the shift process this occurs. I checked the universal joints and they seem fine. I have the car on the lift in neutral -- spin the back tires and I cannot hear any noise and all seems to be tight. Any suggestions? Thanks

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clunking noise you describe sounds like driveline slop to me. I find it to be pretty common among Vipers. If you have any other owners around you, I might suggest you try going on a ride with one of them. Chances are you will hear something similar.

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you are hearing the same thing i hear. It sounds like there is slop in the gears or rear end. It happens when you coast then jsut tap the gas and then there is a little thump or knock. I was kinda worried about this too.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I let one of our club leaders test drive mine for the same problem when I noticed the clunking noise the same day I bought the car (5400 miles). He said it was normal, especialy for the GenI and II Vipers. It hasn't gotten any louder and I now have over 10k miles. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you must, try the suggestions of tightening things up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine