2002 Viper GTS vs new Ford GT-40, if price was same which would you buy???

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on looks I agree. But I would take the original or new GT40 over ANY OTHER CAR EVER PRODUCED! I lusted for the GT40 way before I ever heard of any mention of a Viper.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT40. I have had Ford products before with no problems, the only thing that makes me leary about purchasing a Viper is the fact Dodge makes them. I love the looks and performance of both GenII and GenIII cars as well as the GT40.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take the GT 40 hands down over the new Viper...
Forget the power...that car is a true classic in every sense of the word.

It's fast and gorgeous!

Now, if we could just work on that sticker shock...

Matt

OP
OP
S

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See I am the opposite. I was a big Ford fan growing up, but each and every one I ever owned was nothing but a bag of cheap and unreliable poop (you get the picture). My Dodge experience on the other hand has been the exact opposite. I have had 9 years of problem free Viper and 4 years of no problem minivan ownership.

I, am actually one of the VERY few that is disappointed at how much more refined EITHER of these vehicles will be when compared with the original versions. If it don't leak and squeak it ain't all that special, since that pretty much defines the majority of all the OTHER vehicles out there today.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, your point is well taken...
I'm not a big fan of Ford...it is generally known that the quality is not job 1, 2 or even 100.

Then again, I'm not very impressed with Dodge either...

My Viper is rattle free and very well built, but I've had some pretty poor experiences with Dodge Durangos and such.

Then again, Vipers are hand built by craftsmen...Durangos and PT Cruisers are not.

I can only assume Ford will use a similar process for building their supercar...at least I hope so!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Steve said, always loved the GT40 and I agree that they ought to make the hipo stuff a little more raw too refined for me.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually when it comes to the quality issue I think unfortunetly it is all american cars. Every mercedes I have owned has been just unbelievable. When I sold our last one with 46K on the clock the leather seats looked like the day I bought it. Now my Z06 has got the cheapest leather I have ever seen and are starting to show signs of wear at 1700 miles. ***

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MarkO...a minivan guy...Oh my Gawd, I just fell off my chair! Tell me it's another joke? Please! No one with the serious old Mopar machinery that you have posted, I WANT THAT WAGON IF IT"S EVER FOR SALE! ,would buy a minivan..tell me it's not true..my daughters boyfriend worships you after I showed him all the threads with the Hemi motor going in the wagon...please delete this thread and all references to minivans before your Mopar reputation is ruined. No one will believe that you have a minivan anyway. Your poor wiper stands straight up?! After how many miles? HEEEHEE.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'96 Caravan.
58,000 miles
2 power steering pumps
one tranny replacement, second going out
on third fuel system recall

The Viper was the only reliable Detroit Iron I have owned in my life. But then, it was a garage queen. My Dodge pickup was in constant repair, I shudder thinking about all the times my Toreass left me stranded, two New Yorkers that always needed repairs. I have had many Nissans, Datsuns, Toyotas and now a Lexus- never a problem at all.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem I have with the GT-40 is the exact opposite of the SRT question. The GT-40 looks way too much like the original.

[CUT TO TWO CAR GUYS STANDING ON A CORNER IN CHICAGO, circa 1969]

Fred: "Hey Ralph, did you check out that movie, 2001, space odessy? Was that incredible or what?"

Ralph: "Man, that was one crazy movie. I dug all those monkeys jumping around!"

"Yeah--and it's gonna be so cool when they have jets that go up to the moon and stuff."

"Cat--lemme tell you, that's gonna happen way before 2001! We already walked on the moon, for criminy's sake!"

[A FORD GT-40 TURNS THE CORNER, DRIVES BY FRED AND RALPH SLOWLY]

"Woooooah...check that car out Ralph! Hey, what do you think the cars are gonna look like in 2001?"

[RALPH TURNS, LOOKS STRAIGHT INTO CAMERA, DEADPAN]

"About like that."
rolleyes.gif

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

I agree that the GT-40 looks very cool. It is of course real retro as a repro of the original. If I was in my teens (or younger) I would probably think the GT-40 was hotter looking than the current Gen II Viper (by a hair).

I ordered the SRT Viper; I think it looks great. No, it's not as cool as our original, but I don't care a bit.

Why? Because it's going to be a better, faster Viper. My Dodge dealer is great with service, and my Vipers have never needed any real repairs. It's American. And no matter what we think of the styling, the SRT is gonna be a seriously fast machine. I don't mind the thumbs-up folks and "nice car" comments, but I get real tired of the "follow you home" stalkers and stoplight rice racers.

The looks aren't everything! There is so much more that's great happening with the SRT all around. Beauty is more than skin deep (IMHO). I'm sold on Viper's. I am sure the GT-40 will be an awesome machine; but I think it won't be on par quality wise with the new SRT.

So, at 45, I sadly guess I must be part of D/C's dreaded new marketing scheme. I want my SRT!

Jim

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would push my Dodge before I would drive anything built by Ford!!!!!!!!! Or Chevrolet for that matter!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
There is so much more that's great happening with the SRT all around. Beauty is more than skin deep (IMHO). I'm sold on Viper's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well said!!!

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-40 as long as I could fit ( I am 6"3") Gt-40 meant that the cas max overall height off the ground was 40" I have actually sat in an orignal and I could not fit ( atleast to drive it correctly)....
If built right, the power to rate ratio will make it a track dominator.....We'll see...another ??? is how much will the dealers mark up over retial during the intial buzzzzzzz..My guess is $25,000 over msrp first year

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard:
OK - Just for fun, how about answering this question, as an interesting companion to the 2003 Viper comparison question.

For the purpose of comparison, lets just compare based on the preliminary info on the GT-40 thats out there now. The emphasis here should be on looks, as that's the big complaint people seem to have about the new Viper, but on paper, it looks like the GT-40 would kick a stock Viper GTS's asssp.

I'd take the GT-40!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I am confused. Are you asking GT-40 VS 2003 Or a 2000 GTS? Thanks.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'll be the one dissenting vote against getting the GT-40.

Mind you, I've always loved the GT-40, and I think that the restyle is a successful effort. But with roughly 10 months of sunshine here, I will always prefer to own a ******* car, which is the reason that I never really considered buying a ZR-1 or Z06, or any number of hardtops or coupes.

As much as I like the sleek fastback looks of the GTS, I wouldn't have bought a Viper if the roadster version wasn't available.

Compounding the GT-40 problem will be the fact that they will likely sell for over $120K, and possibly MUCH more depending on how many cars Ford builds. Which would also rule the car out for me.

Now if the GTS and the GT-40 were my two choices, and both were the same price, I'd pick the GT-40 in a heartbeat, even though I really like the GTS's looks. Now if you added $40K-$80K in mods to bring GTS/ACR to the same price as the GT-40, the choice would be tougher, as the GTS would be a MUCH faster car. But I'd still probably pick the GT-40.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte