2003 cobra beats 2003 viper?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"You're mistaken. I have heard of speed shops dynoing the 03 Viper and them only pulling 360 RWHP.

I think I could hang/take one... From a roll, I think I could beat one!"

riiiiiiiiiiiiiggght, these nice men in the white coats are going to take you to a nice place.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robiferretti:
was on the SVT board and read this in the kill section, i nkow the "mustang03" guy, his name is matt but i was under the impression no 03 viper was on the road to any customers yet??? http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21389
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There aren't any 03s' sold yet. The guy says he seen the sticker on the Vipers' window, which means the Mustang was looking at a 02. The only 03s' out there are test mules and they don't have window stickers.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21389

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

iamwithstupid[1].gif

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, they qare multiplying! "I saw one in dallas at the vallet stand".

Yeah right! What idiots, they make fun of the car, but they don;t even knwo what they look like, obviously, since there isn't one....

I think they would know when we did start getting em (I mean after we break em in properly, right?) when they are getting their butts whooped...

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nsane1:
Yeah right! What idiots, they make fun of the car, but they don;t even knwo what they look like, obviously, since there isn't one....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, maybe they were confused and mistaken an S2000 for the 2003 Viper? I mean they look...
wink.gif
j/k

Don
Z06

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must say, the folks on the SVT mustang board were very civilised in their discussion about SRT10 vs 03 Cobra...Very refreshing!

Re the post about 03 Cobra's and changing the pulley and adding cat back etc, I agree totally, there are gonna be quite a few very fast snakes out there, and they are not all Vipers...

Perhaps its us Gen I and Gen II stock or nearly stock Vipers that are gonna have to look out for the 03 Cobras....dohhhhhhhhh

Tomer

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomer;

Really agree with you about the quality of the posts on the SVT site. Refreshing.

A neat thing about the Gen I and II cars is their potential for more power. Mods help us age gracefully.

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sax1031,
Have your ever heard of a corvette?
That is THE best all around sports car for
the money-period!
95yellovett(Z07)

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sax1031:
I love the Viper and a Stock viper vs. a stock 2003 Cobra will most likely beat it(unless the guy driving the viper just smokes the heck out of the tires) but I witnessed over the weekend, a 2003 Cobra with Cat-back exhaust and the pulley upgrade put 502 horsepower to the rear wheels and 506 torque. And just yesterday I read in muscle mustangs and fast fords that just changing a stock cobra's exhaust to cat back exhaust and K&N air filters, the car dynoed 50 more horsepower to the rear wheels and 44 more torque. So for about 1000-2000 dollars a Cobra could probably run with if not faster than the SRT-10.But I still like the viper alot better.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sax1031,
I happen to own a 2003 Cobra as well as a GTS Viper, and while the Cobra performs well on the dyno (mine pulls 400 rwhp SAE with just catback, X-pipe, and K&N filter), I find real world performance not to be commensurate with those kinds of dyno numbers. E.g., my best trap speed is 109 mph, and my best ET is 13.2. Admittedly, that was based on only one day at Carlsbad, which is a notoriously bad track for those with street tires (on the F1's, my best 60' time was 2.2), but still....I would've hoped for higher trap speeds at least.

Bottom line: don't kid yourself. With $1000-$2000 in mods, you're looking at 500 rwhp and low 12's on the Cobra unless you get some stickier rubber. Then mid-to-upper 11's. Meanwhile, the SRT will run mid-11's on street tires and low-11's on ET streets. But of course this is speculation to some extent since the SRT isn't even out yet, despite that thread on SVTperformance.....

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sax1031,

Thanks for the lecture on the relationship between trap speeds and horsepower and the relationship between 60' time and ET. Also, thanks for the reminder that ET wins a race, not trap speed. I'm sure that was a revelation for all of us.
tongue.gif

I don't really give a crap about numbers in magazines achieved by Evan Smith or someone else who can squeeze every tenth out of a car. I'm going by what I see at the track, and I'm sorry, but '03 Cobra guys with pulley/chip and DRs here in SoCal pull mid-12's at the same track where I ran my 13.2. Would ET streets help? You bet. And don't forget, with skinnies, you may even improve trap speed. I did on my GTS (traps went from 121 mph to 123 mph). However, you want to clue me in on where I can buy wheels for a slick/skinny set-up for the '03 Cobra (without going to a custom wheel or changing the brake calipers)? Answer: you can't, because none exist.

BTW, it's more like two tenths gain in 1/4 ET per tenth in 60'....If I do buy some custom wheels for slicks/skinnies, I expect to see at least a 1.8 sec 60' time, which means half second or so improvement in ET, which should translate to 12.6-12.7 ET. We shall see. Frankly, since I will need to sell the Cobra to buy the SRT I have on order, I'm not sure I want to waste the money on custom wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950