2003 RT pics avail from Dallas Autoshow

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the car looks real good with the top up -- better than I thought. Gives a hint of future GTS, if ever built. I just hope that Dodge puts all the neat stuff on the GTS that is shown on the GTSR -- like the roof scoop, over wheel air ducts, more dymanic rear face.

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay, and thanks to King for the great pictures. The 3/4 views are my favorite so far. The car looks more exotic than in other shots.
You must be registered for see images

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Shots King! I have a spot all warmed up in my pit for mine!

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kingman, enjoyed breakfast with you and Steve at IHOP this morning. Mike, Sam, Cathy, and myself went down to the auto show and saw it in person. Some things about the car I liked and some I didn't. Next time hopefully it won't rain. Thanks for setting up the whole car show deal we talked about. That was nice of you. The car sure drew a crowd but right next to it was the hemi c which almost stole the show. There were just as many people around that car than the Viper at any given time. That is one awesome hemi. Sure hope they build it. Thanks for letting us know the car was going to be there. I have been waiting a long time to see that thing. Make sure you let us know about other events and we may join you. And tell Steve we enjoyed meeting him.

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to the front view and take a piece of paper and cover up the bottom two horizontal grille openings and what do you think?.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures guys. Must admit the car is growing on me. Like the lower rear treatment (semi-diffuser like), interior, and really like the wheels. Really don't like the side scoops on the front fenders. MUCH too angular and need to be more rounded like the current cars - would keep more of the visual Snake heritage intact. Anyone know the drag coefficient on the car?? Also disappointed in the engine department; 500 HP and 500 ft-lbs doesn't seem like much improvement, my '97 GTS does better than that with just K&N's, smoooth tubes and cat-back. Maybe the aerodynamics will make it seem like a bigger improvement.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at these side sill covers. If you thought they were expensive before, then what do you think these will cost? The front part comes up the fender to make the opening for the brake cooling. Are they fiberglass or aluminum?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the 2003 Viper engine fit in my existing Viper? I would love the engine, but not the body.

To be fair, if you hadn't ever seen an existing Gen I or Gen II Viper you would probably think that the 2003 Viper is pretty interesting looking. BUT WE HAVE ALL SEEN THE BETTER LOOKING CAR! Is there anyone out there that can say they like the looks of Gen III better than the current models? I doubt it. Unless you go back to the first prototype pictures of the race bred GTSR that Frank describes.

Its like what Porsche did to the 911. In the 80's the Turbo was beautiful, then they made it look like a Honda in the 90's. Of course now they have the new prototype that is gorgeous but will it make it to production.

On the flip side, when Lamborghini was dropping the Countach I thought, "Oh no, they'll come out with something gaudy to replace it!" To give them credit, the Diablo is even better looking than the Countach was. So it is possible to improve on a great design and improve the looks and sex appeal too. Apparently Daimler isn't capable of that yet though.

SpeedRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the Dallas Auto Show, just to see if it looked better in person. AND IT DOES!!! I was definitely disappointed in the pics we had all seen, very much so, in fact. However, when you see it in person, there is no way you can make camaro/spyder/s2000 comparisons. Those other cars were at the same show, and they are definitely not in the same league. Did it attract the same attention as the original R/T did in '89? No. Has the *****'s expectations changed since then? Absolutely. Is that a fair excuse? MMMM...Maybe.
After checking out the 2003, I went to the section where the "older" cars were being shown. There were 3 R/Ts there, '96-'00. Suddenly, they looked a little less then new. Maybe it's because I've seen them so many times, but if I had to choose right now just on looks alone.... 2003.
Keep in mind that if you prefer the GTS w/stripes over the R/T, then you can't try to compare the 2003 to them. The only fair comparison is between R/Ts. With that in mind, I would have to say that it is a draw. If you take the 10+ years into consideration then the Gen I wins, otherwise the Gen III does.
I can't believe I'm saying this, considering how I thought BEFORE I went to the show, but you have to see it in person before you can judge it. You still may prefer the current R/T, but it will definitely be a lot closer. The more I think about it, it would have been impossible for Dodge to wow us as much this time as they did when the Viper was first introduced.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superb photos! Thanks for posting them.

My thoughts:

I still HATE the side air extractors. The hood scoop does nothing for me. The fuel filler door is still on the wrong side of the car.

Other than that, the car is fine.