2003 viper sold on ebay $63500 with 4k miles

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper did not sell that cheap. I bought for way more than what the buy it now price. It was close to my house so I asked him to use buy it now. I have taken delivery of the car today, what a beast. Thank you I Love My New SRT.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a few different factors at work:

1. Many people are nervous buying a car sight unseen, especially on eBay where scams are not uncommon.

2. This is only the fourth thing the seller has sold this year, with the most recent showing a NEGATIVE feedback. Would you be comfortable dropping $65K+ with "NOT as described. seller will NOT return calls" as part of the latest feedback? No dis on the seller, just an observation.

3. There was only one bid: The starting bid was the Buy It Now price. In other words, the seller (a broker and not the owner) chose to liquidate the car in one day. Heck, it could have been a bank repo like the blue/white '97 GTS that sold for $34K last year. Is that indicative of the market? No. I sold a similar '03 with more miles not even two months ago for $69K. And had other offers after that.

One of the biggest problems you have with the SRT-10 market specifically is with dealers that have not sold Vipers before. They ask over sticker on the car while leaving it on the showroom for five months. It gets bumped and smeared by hundreds of people (kids, tire kickers, etc.) and doesn't sell. The more likely buyers don't return based on price and showroom abuse. The dealer then decides to dump the car just to get rid of it. Usually at invoice or less. This does not help the resale market at all, especially when you can still find an '03 on somebody's lot for less than invoice.

In the good ol' Gen I/II days, the cars would be almost exclusively distributed to Viper dealers that knew how to sell them (slight discount off of MSRP). They were also distributed based on pre-orders: Most Vipers had a "This Car Built Especially For..." on the window sticker, meaning they were sold before they arrived at the dealership. When I was at CAAP this past week, there were numerous '05's ready to be shipped - and not one was "Built Especially For..." anybody. That means they aren't sold and are destined for some remote dealer that will sit on it until they dump it at a loss. This could also mean that less buyers are ordering them and more are just shopping for leftover new cars. Also note that besides the Mamba cars, there are no options to be had on the SRT - no stripes, no interiors, no performance packages - nothing. So why order one to your specs when you can probably find some smaller dealer dumping the exact same car in a town near you?

I could go on, but I think I have digressed enough at this point... ;)

PS. And nice car and great buy Bernie!

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Deals are few and far between. It took me 4 months of hunting to come across mine. I am very happy with it, but invested a significant amount of time searching and took a risk flying out to Houston, TX.

I NEVER beleive the eBay prices on these cars as often I contacted the winning bidders and found the transactions never went through. Many dealers have told me straight up they only use eBay to garner interest, get your contact info as a potential buyer, and advertise and do not actually expect to make the real sale there.

That has been my experience with Vipers on eBay.... and I should know! I was a mega bidder for awhile:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewBidItems&sort=3&userid=jknust&completed=1&all=1&rows=200&satitle=&sorecordsperpage=50&sspagename=h%3Ah%3Afitem%3AUS%3FssPageName%3Dh%3Ah%3Afitem%3AUS&sofocus=bs&nojspr=y&nojspr=y&pfid=0

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, looking at the number of bids you put in I'd say you invested way too much time- should of just called ol' Bill Pemberton and got the deal on the first go round. You could have been out enjoying your Viper for many more weeks during the summertime :shocked:

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perhaps.... but I got an incredible deal and a GIANT smile still. I'm looking forward to sinking the $$ saved into upgrades. A few small ones already ordered!!

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AG98RT10,

Maybe Fast Freddies this weekend! I went to the Radford car gathering last Friday (maybe 70 cars, kinda small) and everyone really liked the Viper. I was getting on I-81 today and saw a Red 00 GTS. His plate was a VA Plate and read "00 VENOM". Do you know this guy?

Bugeater,

Yes! No excuses!

I hope to get out to VIR this fall, I've got to check what events are going on and what days might be good for a Viper n00b like me.

I love having a Viper. Just slapped on the MGW First Strike knob and did the ole' oil change this evening. :2tu:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AG98RT10,

Maybe Fast Freddies this weekend! I went to the Radford car gathering last Friday (maybe 70 cars, kinda small) and everyone really liked the Viper. I was getting on I-81 today and saw a Red 00 GTS. His plate was a VA Plate and read "00 VENOM". Do you know this guy?

Congrats again! Nothing like owning a Viper. No, I don't think I've seen that tag. Might be the guy from Wytheville. There is a "Dr. Venom" in the ROA area I met at FF. Went to the Radford thing once in the Vette - pretty good event. Keep fingers crossed for weather Sat. :2tu: