2004 crank damper bolt 1200 mile car

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Completely loose. I wil tighten tomorrow to 130lbs. How do you guys hold the pulley when you torque?
Thanks Mark Jorgenson

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uhhhh you need to use a small amount of locktight on those threads

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just for sanity purposes, check the build date (build date is on driver's door area) of your car and let us know if was before 02/04.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Torqued it down today, with some licorice. Someone was sleeping when they put this car together, that's all I'm gonna say. Quality control was no where to be seen.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Torqued it down today, with some licorice. Someone was sleeping when they put this car together, that's all I'm gonna say. Quality control was no where to be seen.

This is a known issue in some of the '03's and '04's (built prior to 02/04). The reason why I asked you to check the build date. A TSB was issued against this problem so whomever owned your car previously failed to address the TSB or maybe something else is going on. The service records should indicate if the TSB was previously addressed.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So, you think that the guy that assembled your engine was asleep at the wrench ? !!!! If that's the case, then, for your peace of mind, perhaps you should drop your oil pan and check the torque on the rod and main bearing caps !!! Also remove the valve covers and check the torque on the rocker arm hold down fasteners.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car did not fall in the area you mentioned. Dealer checked it for me. Someone just probably missed one, is all I can say. And speeking to the Wizard confirms that this was pretty common in 04. I drove the car 300 miles, no vibration, nothing. Ran smooth as silk. Even got on it a couple times. Just thank God I checked the bolt.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a known issue in some of the '03's and '04's (built prior to 02/04). The reason why I asked you to check the build date. A TSB was issued against this problem so whomever owned your car previously failed to address the TSB or maybe something else is going on. The service records should indicate if the TSB was previously addressed.

Actually, it was all 04s, and early 05s I believe. According to (I think) one of Steve-Indy's old threads the 2003, late 2005, and 2006 bolts are the same part number, while the 04s and early 05s are the problem children. Someone else chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Here's the quote I found searching (look especially at the part numbers; 03, later 05 and 06 are the same):

ALL Vipers EXCEPT the 2004 and maybe some EARLY 2005's have a "big dog" of a crankdamper bolt...that should be checked periodically, especially if running high HP. For whatever reason, 2004's and MAYBE some early 2005's have a "teeny weeney" sized crankdamper bolt, which was torqued to MUCH lower specs...and, in my opinion (as well as that of several of the better known Viper Techs' opinion) was prone to getting loose with potentially disasterous results. There IS a fix...but I personally worry about the loose ones that were "owner-fixed" as well due to their potential propensity to "rear the ugly head" of delayed failure down the road as it is hard to estimate likelihood of damage from the harmonics that could have been unleashed. For bolt specifics, see my post below:

"Actually, the search key reveals a lot:

From this thread in which Dan lays out the problem: " Re: My Crankshaft Damper Bolt was falling out. "

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/sho...mp;o=&vc=1

The Text in part that I posted says: "Earlier in this thread I posted:

" You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

03 Manual says "250 ft-lbs"

04 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"

05 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"
---------------------------------------

Now (thanks to Tim in Parts at Indy's Champion Dodge) here more info taken straight from the Dodge computer (with a little extra effort).

Crankshaft Damper Bolts:

2003 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2004 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2006 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH THERE WAS A RUNNING CHANGE SOMETIME IN THE 2005 MODEL YEAR.

By the way, I have ordered one

Last edited:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, it was all 04s, and early 05s I believe. According to (I think) one of Steve-Indy's old threads the 2003, late 2005, and 2006 bolts are the same part number, while the 04s and early 05s are the problem children. Someone else chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Here's the quote I found searching (look especially at the part numbers; 03, later 05 and 06 are the same):

04's up to the 01/31/04 build date with a "Z" or "H" in the 8th VIN position . Only covered cars up to this date per notification no. D19 (service action #04-006). Did not include any '05's or '06's.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
04's up to the 01/31/04 build date with a "Z" or "H" in the 8th VIN position . Only covered cars up to this date per notification no. D19 (service action #04-006). Did not include any '05's or '06's.

Not to quibble, but maybe this was just what the TSB covered, and not the entire run of cars affected? It's pretty obvious from Steve-Indy's research above where the issue actually lies. Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to clarify. The reason is is my 2003 (May 2003 build date) might be covered under that TSB (Z in the 8th position), but from Steve-Indy's post, it seems 03s didn't have the issue. I don't think mine does (and by 26,000 miles and 3 owners it would have been caught).

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Either way if out or warranty, I. Don't thing tsb's are covered. Only recalls. I could be wrong, but don't think so.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is correct sir. As I said, no matter what a TSB covered, it is evident from searches around this forum that the affected cars are all or most 2004s, and some early 2005s. I've been through this with issues on both my Cummins Ram and my 07 SRT8, both of which were affected by "common" issues by build date that weren't covered under TSB for those issues!

Steve-Indy is pretty thorough, and the quote and research I posted above is pretty detailed about the years and part numbers affected.

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have my car in shop now for spun bearings and by reading this site i saw about this issue and asked my guy to check it.... he said good find, it was loose .... locktite it and retightened it... still waitin on my car back... been 3 weeks... hes supposed to break it in this weekend for me... cant wait

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I am sure the small bolt came on all 2004's...but I really cannot say anything about the EARLY 2005's, as I only know what was speculated upon by trusted Viper Techs and the listing in the 2005 parts manual at that time.

That said, when it comes down to one individual Viper...just reach down and size the hex-head on the crank damper bolt YOURSELF...if it takes a 1 & 1/4 inch socket, it's the BIG, STRONG bolt...if it takes 13/16 inch six-sided socket it's the "teenie ******"...torque as outlined above (250 ft-lbs if BIG and 130 ft-lbs if "teenie ******").
As I have stated before...MY worry is not how to re-torque the loose 2004's (or any other damper bolt)...but what damage was done while the damper bolt was loose??!!!!! Scary stuff when one looks at the damage that has been observed on the crankshaft in some cases !!

And, just for the record...we should ALL check these bolts regularly on ALL years of Vipers...which I was/am doing...and STILL, that sly fox Tom Sessions found one of our Vipers with a "somewhat under-torqued" damper bolt !!!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure the small bolt came on all 2004's...but I really cannot say anything about the EARLY 2005's, as I only know what was speculated upon by trusted Viper Techs and the listing in the 2005 parts manual at that time.

That said, when it comes down to one individual Viper...just reach down and size the hex-head on the crank damper bolt YOURSELF...if it takes a 1 & 1/4 inch socket, it's the BIG, STRONG bolt...if it takes 13/16 inch six-sided socket it's the "teenie ******"...torque as outlined above (250 ft-lbs if BIG and 130 ft-lbs if "teenie ******").
As I have stated before...MY worry is not how to re-torque the loose 2004's (or any other damper bolt)...but what damage was done while the damper bolt was loose??!!!!! Scary stuff when one looks at the damage that has been observed on the crankshaft in some cases !!

And, just for the record...we should ALL check these bolts regularly on ALL years of Vipers...which I was/am doing...and STILL, that sly fox Tom Sessions found one of our Vipers with a "somewhat under-torqued" damper bolt !!!

Thanks Steve, good information to know.

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i guess i could if i had any disapline, but i dont.... first time im driving it "breakin it in" and i see a sports car im hitting red line... he knows this so he will be putting the first 100 or so miles on the car

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think a point is being missed here...EVERYONE should check the crankshaft damper bolt from time to time on an engine that makes as much torque/HP as a Viper makes...regardless of the damper bolt size. There are plenty of unmodified, "big damper bolt" Vipers that have been noted as having a loose crank bolt found incidentally by an observant Tech.

Jay...have you actually checked the SIZE of the bolt on your Viper ??

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx Steve for the heads up, its tight and 13/16" with a 02/04 production .
You make a good point. :2tu: Cheers Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96