2006 Coupe Clutch Problem

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 600 miles on my 2006 Coupe and almost from the start I've had a clutch problem. It seems worse when warmed up or in slow traffic. Sometimes the peddle feels normal with about 1 inch of slack before you feel resistance, but most of the time the slack varies randomly, sometimes almost all the way to the floor, making it hard to shift. The amount of slack seems to change constantly. One time I'll go through the gears with just a little slack and the next time the peddle goes most of the way to the floor before I feel resistance. I've talked with my Viper tech and he says there's only a couple parts that could be causing the problem, but he's not heard about this problem (this dealership in Virginia Beach only sells a couple Vipers a year, so I don't think they work on many). Before I schedule an appointment, I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this problem. Other than that, the car has been great. It's my first Viper, so I don't have any experience with them. I spent months deciding between a new Z06 and this.

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 Coupe did the same exact thing from when I received with 7 miles on the car.

I bled the whole system in an attempt to fix the problem, but that wasn't the problem.

It is the clutch master cylinder. I replaced it myself because I have zero trust in dealership service departments. Problem solved once I replaced the clutch master cylinder.

OP
OP

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...its nice to know there's a definite fix. I'll make an appointment and let the tech know. I'm not good enough to do the work myself. I was dead in the water today in the middle of a busy street. It wouldn't go into any gear until I pumped the clutch a few times.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM !! 06 Coupe... but... my 02 ACR did the SAME damn thing..(so much so, I asked Janny and Henry cone, the FIRST time I met them to check my peddal, they both responded back with "yep, thats a viper clutch pedal for ya" after trying it out). There is air in the line.. and it has now FINALLY gone away. I dont think you have to replace the slave on all of them, because I had them do it in my 02 ACR too when I first saw the problem and again it did the same thing, so I let the air work its way out of the system on the ACR and then on my new coupe, and it goes away.

But I TOTALLY had the same issue.. kinda ******** of dodge to NOT have gotten this sorted out better by now.

Jon

OP
OP

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have over 650 miles on it now and the problem is getting worse, not better. The reservoir has always been full, but I don't know if that means anything...I'm thinking maybe if the air works its way through the lines, it will end up in the reservoir, making the fluid level go down. I'll pass all this info on to the tech. Thanks, all this input will help.

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first I assumed air in the system, which is why I tried to bleed the system first. Let me tell you I bled all the old fluid out in an attempt to not have to change any components! Didn't change a thing!

Since the problem I had resided in the pedal, my first analysis was the clutch master because if you pump the pedal it would come back for a short amount of time. Had it been the slave cylinder, the slack in the pedal should remain constant but the pressure plate would fail to release completely because the slave was failing.

I went 200 miles before I finally changed the clutch master cylinder. After I changed the clutch master, I have not had one issue from that point forward, 900 miles and counting.

OP
OP

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great! All your symptoms are just like mine. Is the Viper clutch master cylinder unique to Viper or should the parts dept have some in stock for other dodge vehicles? (wishful thinking, I know.) I'm hoping I won't have to go a weekend without it.
Thanks for all the info,
Nick

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the master is used on other vehicles. They did have to order it, but only took 3 days to get.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys have warranties.. but I guess you dont trust the viper techs. Find a good one, and you'll be fine. Ask on here who is good in your area, and some owners will let you know of good ones in your area that they personally know.

Anyways, I now have 1500 miles on mine.. so.... mine went away, I can only speak from my experiences with 2 vipers.

Good Luck

Jon

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 FE had the same problem out the gate. A simple bleed took care of the problem. I have a great tech in NorCal at Folsom Lake Dodge named Randell Stowe if anyone is in Sacramento area.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can also be clutch line to close to the engine causes the pedal to be fine when cold but get worse and worse as it gets hot.

Several SRT's over in the Uk have heat wrap on the lines

OP
OP

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the input. I have an appointment tomorrow. I'll see how it goes.

OP
OP

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the car in today and got a call back saying it was the master cylinder and the slave cylinder, which they have to order. The service team set up my appointment for today (Wed) and the Viper tech is not going to be at work Thur or Fri. So, if the parts come in this week, it will have to wait until Mon anyway. Well, as long as the problem is taken care of, I'll be happy. Even though I don't think they service many Vipers, the random young mechanic that told me which bay to put it in temporarily took my key and went directly to the Viper tech and gave it to him. It's nice to know that they know not to touch it.