2006 Viper - NO START problem

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started having a problem with my 2006 Viper. Scheduled to go into the dealer but wanted to run this by the group here.

1. After driving the car and it gets hot enough for the fans to come on - if I turn it off and then go to restart, press the button and nothing. Will not crank, no clicking - nothing. All 4 side gauges are red light and at 0. Have to wait anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes for the car to apparently cool and then it starts fine. All the other electric is working no problems. Battery is fine - brand new. This only happens when the car is hot.

2. Took it to the dealer when it was doing this and they hooked up a scan tool. Found while looking through the menus PCM communications errors.

3. New issue, now went to start it and it cranks cranks cranks but no start at all. Tried the restart procedure as described in the manual - nothing - just cranks but will not start.

Thanks!

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked ASD fuses and relays? Open the fuse box, note labels, and do some swapping.

I'll check this for the other completely no start issue I am having as mentioned in the end of my previous post. But would this have an effect on the no start while hot issue as mentioned in the beginning?

Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Somehow, the PCM is not turning back on when you go to restart [PCM Bus error and gauge lights both = NO BUS]. It would not be the ASD relay, as that circuit is controlled by the PCM, it does not control it. I would check the RUN wiring from the key cylinder to the PCM and its fuse first, make sure the fust connecton isnt loose- as well as the grounds for the PCM.

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, went out to the car and it will not start at all now - hot or cold. It cranks but all gauges on the right glow red and motor will not fire up.

Off to the dealer!

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jim, Has the dealer looked at it since we talked last? Let me know if I need to get it and make it better.

Hey Tom, thanks for popping up. Had it carried over on Thursday and it has sat with nothing going on for two days. I'll see what they come up with in the diagnostics and get back with you.

Thanks again!

vertigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have simiular issues. My 03 has been sitting outside under cover here in south Florida for over two months. Heavy rain and heat. This weekend I went to start it, and had low battery. Only clinking, not enought to start. Connected charger for about an hour, and then cranked. No problem, but after 5 to 8 minutes the engine stopped. It started a number of times after this but would not stay running. Battery was only 6 months old, but I went and purchased another one anyway because I didn't have time to deal with charging. New battery install and started - no problem. Seems to run good. Drove around for 10 minutes and came back and let it idle while I put the battery cover on. When I got in the car I found the TACH, Speedo, and the 4 gauges reading (0) and the four red lights on. I shut off and re-cycled the key and re-started. All workng again, but only for a moment or two. Drove the car home about 12 miles in this condition. The gauges and tach/speedo would pop up working for maybe 20 seconds and then quit, sometimes coming on but mostly off. Engine seems fine and a/c good at all times.
I'm guessing maybe moisture build up somewhere in a connector, but if anybody has an idea I would like to hear.
Jim

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Viper came home today - good as new. I was told that they contacted Chrysler and were instructed on how to check several sensors (I assume Crank Sensor, etc) and they all checked out as well as the other "modules" with the exception of the PCM. Apparently the PCM completely died. The scan tool could not communicate with it and there was nothing. They ordered a new PCM and it came in today and was installed.

Took the car out and got it nice and HOT. Starts right up now - no problems. Also the slight struggling sound I noticed from time to time when starting appears to be gone as well.

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you just drove it once in a while, you'd have no problems!

That was the problem, tried to drive it some more this summer and had to make sure that I was going to be in somewhere for at least an hour or two so I didn't come out and have to sit in a parking lot until it cooled off.

HAHAHA

Anyway, had it out today (wasn't the weather great?) - life is good!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang