2008=First 200mph Viper?

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that Vipers have always been in the 190 mph range with 450-510hp, but no viper has ever hit the 200mph mark. Does anyone know what the top speed on the new 2008 Viper Coupe will be? With 600+ hp i dont see any reason why it wont do 200 from the factory, unless it has some major aerodynamic issues..

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2001 viper GTS-ACR owners manual states that the stop speed of the car is only 180 mph. i tested my viper back when it was bone stock and my GPS verified that the top speed was indeed only 180 mph. i did headers, cats and cat back and that got me too a GPS verified 182 mph. then i did heads, cam, roller rockers and computer tuning, etc. and that got me too 198 mph on GPS. at that point it dyno'd 542 rwhp and 577 rwtq. all my testing was done on the same stretch of flat road with no tail winds or headwinds of anykind and similar atmospheric conditions (IE-density altitudes).

with all of that said seeing how my viper has a .35 coefficient of drag and the new viper is .39 its gonna be a challenge for the 2008 viper with similar power and inferior aerodynamics. it is my undestanding that the car is gonna retain the 3.07 gearing as well as the same transmission ratios as my gen-2. since the rear wheels and tires on the gen-3 viper are taller than mine this will put the car into a more advantageous power curve with respect to the peak horsepower that this engine will make at a higher rpm than mine so my guess is that this car will indeed go 200 mph under similar conditions as mine. CD's only tell half the story and my guess is that the new viper has a smaller frontal area and the that the rear of the cars profile is less sticky and that the diffuser helps to clean the air up too so i am gonna say 200 mph is realistic.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take Fastfreddy Advise,Start with a 200 mph car then mod it,I will get 08,
You can get the viper to go 200 but FGT is made for that speed

So a Vert SRT is hitting 196mph and and FGT will hit 201-205 average Ive seen in tests....That 6-10mph difference is going to somehow cause the Viper to be less of a car than the GT at those speeds :rolleyes: ...Last I checked the Viper has better aero than the FGT if Im not mistaken..Coupe that is...

I also recall a few FI Viper GTS's that have gone over 200mph and I dont remember any of them saying anything negative about the cars stability...

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question would be: if top speed is 195, will adding HP actually add more speed or just get you to the top faster? Don't the gears, tranny and diff, limit the cars speed? Not an engineer, just wondering.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question would be: if top speed is 195, will adding HP actually add more speed or just get you to the top faster? Don't the gears, tranny and diff, limit the cars speed? Not an engineer, just wondering.

adding more power will acclerate the car faster and give it a higher top speed both. a gen-2 viper is geared to go 202 mph in 5th gear at 6,000 rpm's. the new 2008 viper has taller rear tires and a higher redline, so i am gonna guess that it is geared to go 212 mph at 6,300 rpm's. but again you need the power to pull these speeds which bone stock neither of these cars have. now if you get a BIG tail wind and drive the car down a long stretch of road goin downhill then maybe you might just get close. but then that would be cheating now wouldn't it.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So a Vert SRT is hitting 196mph and and FGT will hit 201-205 average Ive seen in tests....That 6-10mph difference is going to somehow cause the Viper to be less of a car than the GT at those speeds :rolleyes: ...Last I checked the Viper has better aero than the FGT if Im not mistaken..Coupe that is...

I also recall a few FI Viper GTS's that have gone over 200mph and I dont remember any of them saying anything negative about the cars stability...

the ford GT's CD is the same as gen-3+ viper coupe at .39 > with that said i believe that the ford GT makes for a better car with respect to high speed. it has a 8 inch longer wheelbase. the motor is in the back and the center of gravity is more favorable to high speeds. both the front and rear wheels/tires are considerably narrower which provides for less rolling resistance and better aerodynamics. there is also less of a gyroscopic effect with these wheels as they are lighter in weight too. the ford GT has a more active underbody aero management system then the gen-3+ viper as well. the GT has a chin splitter, and side splitters which the viper doesn't. the bottom of the GT is sealed better than the viper for better airflow and management via ground effects. as far as the rear diffusers go both cars have them but for the aero reasons i have stated above i feel that the GT's diffuser works better. finally the GT has a smaller frontal area and the roof at 44 inches is lower to the ground than the gen-3+ viper.

the world record for a viper was achived by svs turbo in basically a stock bodied gen-2 viper at the bonneville salt flats at a speed of 246 mph.

i feel that a ford GT can go at least 240 mph and possibly 250 mph. speeds beyond that i would not want to test personally. the original design of the GT-40 was notorious for horrendous front end lift on the mulsanne straight at LeMans were the car was driven at speeds in excess of 200 mph. the new GT's nose has been redesigned with the chin splitter, etc and wind tunnel tested and is said to have eliminated this problem. but something tells me they only tested it up to wind speeds of 220 mph. beyond that i think you might be flyin a kite.

personally, i just wanna max out 5th gear in my GT which is supposedly 217 mph at 6,500 rpm's (redline). an increase in boost via the stock supercharger with a computer tune should get me there. i plan on eventually swapping to the bigger whipple supercharger which should get me to 230 mph with 800 rwhp. 240+ mph is twin turbo territory IMO and will take at least 1000 rwhp. to equal the veyrons top speed of 253 mph i am guessin would take close to 1400 rwhp. personally if were to go after the veyrons top speed record i would rather be in a saleen S7 twin turbo.

OP
OP
G

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My reason for suspecting the 2008 Vipers 200mph capability is the huge hp increase. With 510 hp, it could do 195, so with another 90 hp its gotta hit 200. Another reason for my thinking it can do 200 is cars like the Ford GT, Murcielago, and Pagani Zonda can do 200+ and they have less HP. 600 hp is generally enough for 205 mph, but it will come down to the New vipers aerodynamics i guess, maybe lowering it would help?

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a Vert SRT is hitting 196mph and and FGT will hit 201-205 average

the 201 you are referring to was on a race track NOT the flat out top speed. The GT is limited to 205 MPH per Ford but will do 212MPH without the limiter as seen at Nardo. I believe the aero of the GT and SRT are relatively equivalent due to similiar Cd and frontal area. The difference in top speed is due mostly to the GT having ~70 more RWHP (~440 vs ~510). The 08 Viper should have between 525-550 rwhp (~12% drivetrain loss on 618HP = 543rwhp) so it should hit 200mph fairly easily.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the ford GT's CD is the same as gen-3+ viper coupe at .39 > with that said i believe that the ford GT makes for a better car with respect to high speed. it has a 8 inch longer wheelbase. the motor is in the back and the center of gravity is more favorable to high speeds. both the front and rear wheels/tires are considerably narrower which provides for less rolling resistance and better aerodynamics. there is also less of a gyroscopic effect with these wheels as they are lighter in weight too. the ford GT has a more active underbody aero management system then the gen-3+ viper as well. the GT has a chin splitter, and side splitters which the viper doesn't. the bottom of the GT is sealed better than the viper for better airflow and management via ground effects. as far as the rear diffusers go both cars have them but for the aero reasons i have stated above i feel that the GT's diffuser works better. finally the GT has a smaller frontal area and the roof at 44 inches is lower to the ground than the gen-3+ viper.

the world record for a viper was achived by svs turbo in basically a stock bodied gen-2 viper at the bonneville salt flats at a speed of 246 mph.

i feel that a ford GT can go at least 240 mph and possibly 250 mph. speeds beyond that i would not want to test personally. the original design of the GT-40 was notorious for horrendous front end lift on the mulsanne straight at LeMans were the car was driven at speeds in excess of 200 mph. the new GT's nose has been redesigned with the chin splitter, etc and wind tunnel tested and is said to have eliminated this problem. but something tells me they only tested it up to wind speeds of 220 mph. beyond that i think you might be flyin a kite.

personally, i just wanna max out 5th gear in my GT which is supposedly 217 mph at 6,500 rpm's (redline). an increase in boost via the stock supercharger with a computer tune should get me there. i plan on eventually swapping to the bigger whipple supercharger which should get me to 230 mph with 800 rwhp. 240+ mph is twin turbo territory IMO and will take at least 1000 rwhp. to equal the veyrons top speed of 253 mph i am guessin would take close to 1400 rwhp. personally if were to go after the veyrons top speed record i would rather be in a saleen S7 twin turbo.

Interesting viewpoint but I dont see difference between a Viper hitting 200 and a FGT hitting 200. Really dont see why say start with a car thats made for 200mph if you already have a car that has already proven to go beyond 200mph with little trouble.....Garths car did it with ease in less than a mile with no body mod if I remember correctly..Also I believe Paolo and severel others have done it as well ...Dont think you need a Ford GT to do it safely...However I feel you on the Saleen S7 part if going Veyron hunting...I think it tops out around 243mph...Withing striking distance of the Veyron....

OP
OP
G

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting a front splitter on a SRT C would be a great areodynamic additon, and should make it all the more safe at high speeds. but darn prefix front spitters are $3,000 i expected like $500 for just a splitter jez!