2012 Tail of the Dragon Event by the AL/TN Club

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey IN/KY, here's the info on the 2012 Tail of the Dragon trip coming up this June.

Official Thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/651007-Official-2012-Tail-of-the-Dragon-Thread

Info posted by bboyer in the thread:

Tail of the Dragon plans are complete! All you need to know for now is to make that reservation! Remember, you can always cancel, but may not can book that riverside room when the plans are released to other states later this month. Any overflows can stay at Jim & Shirley’s place (club discount is $300/night for one room…bring your own sheets).

Greystone Lodge in Downtown Gatlinburg June 1-3, 2012

1-800-451-9202

Std King Deluxe (1st floor, balcony on river)
Thu $68 $77
Fri/Sat $77 $90

http://www.greystonelodgetn.com/greystonerooms.htm

Here is the tentative schedule of events:
2012 Tail of the Dragon

The following is the initial general itinerary of the 2012 Tail of the Dragon Run. This annual event draws participants from several states and appears to be growing every year. We'll try to change a few things this year to keep it hopping, but some things will never change! This is based on past experience, with delays built-in that will allow us to stay on schedule and possibly add a site-seeing stop.

Friday June 1st Knoxville->Cherahola Skyway->Tail->Gatlinburg (Atlanta, GA & Cleveland, TN meetups planned too)
9:00am Earlybirds begin arriving to eat, gas, meetup
10:15am LEAVING ******* Barrel to Cruise to Cherahola Market/Exxon
11:45-12:15pm Arrive Cherahola Market/Exxon, meetup with southern members, get gas/lunch @ market or Tellico Grains Bakery (Group will be ordering ahead)
1:00pm Cherahola Skyway to Robbinsville, NC
3:15pm Arrive at Deal's Gap, meetup with GA/SC members
4:00pm Tail of the Dragon @ Deal’s Gap
4:30pm Photo Shoot @ Tail End
4:45pm Cruise to Gatlinburg via Foothills Pkwy
6:15pm Check-in at Greystone Lodge
7:30pm Dinner in town (walking)

Saturday June 2nd Pigeon Forge->Smokies->Pigeon Forge->Gatlinburg
8:00-9:30am Breakfast, car cleanup, gas
9:30am LEAVING for Mountain Cruise (Lunch @ Wildwood Grill in Fontana Villiage, Fontana Dam stop, Tail of Dragon)
5:00pm Return to room
6:15pm Leave for Pigeon Forge (circle back for official Parade!)
7:00pm Parade
7:30pm Dinner @ Cherokee Grill

Sunday June 3rd G'burg->Home
9:00am Breakfast
10:00 TBD group cruising/drive home

In 2011 we had 4 or 5 of the IN/KY group attend this event and I believe that fun was had by all. I'll be setting up a convoy from Louisville if anyone is interested. If that is backtracking for you we can pick you up along 64 or 75.

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump.

If you're interested in a convoy from the Louisville area let me know.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful guys, there's cops on that road now. ......some trip about how it's a "public road" or something like that. Apparently, these mountain roads with all those fun turns and stuff, are actually highways designed for transportation and travel of regular vehicles. And there are also 'speed limits' or something like that. I thought those kind of roads were for sports cars, but I was wrong. They're for slow moving RV's as well, so have fun, but watch out for the cops!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth