#209 Ready to Hit The Road

OP
OP
V

viper209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard and I appreciate all the advice and thoughts you have shared. AND WE ARE LISTENING. #209 was towed to Palmer Dodge in Roswell GA last Friday. Roberto the performance manager has completed initial inspection.
Has ordered:

rotors
pads
all hoses
all belts
yes head gaskets
tires
and wipers

Some pictures
her home last 15 years
leaving home
journey to shop
at shop

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 313.jpg
    Picture 313.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 82

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this is the next best thing to an actual "Barn Find"...:eater: If you post a map with your planned route we should probably set up a support network...

Richard and I appreciate all the advice and thoughts you have shared. AND WE ARE LISTENING. #209 was towed to Palmer Dodge in Roswell GA last Friday. Roberto the performance manager has completed initial inspection.
Has ordered:

rotors
pads
all hoses
all belts
yes head gaskets
tires
and wipers

Some pictures
her home last 15 years
leaving home
journey to shop
at shop

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on a can of Fix-o-flat. A small tire problem may mean your passenger gets a lap ornament otherwise. Seems the good folks here have offered all the best advise! I'll add that you should keep a few old towels stuffed behind the seats... Just in case. With only 5k miles on the clock, you may not know how bad she'll leak in a good hard rain. Gen 1 cars leak, some more than others and some not at all...(with that dust cover, I suspect she's never seen water).

You're gonna have a great time!

I love viper road-trips and just got back from a good one myself, adding another 2k to the O-meter in my '94 over the last week...

Cheers!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I'd mention a little must-see piece of roadway. If you have any intention of passing through Yellowstone Park on your eastward journey be sure to leave by way of Beartooth Pass, (the NE entrance)... Spectacular!

OP
OP
V

viper209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
209 is ready and am picking up Saturday 7/10. Roberto, performance manager, has driven 500-600 miles and feels it is ready for cross country. Will post after pictures Sunday.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were the headgaskets replaced with the paper-style ones or the multilayer metal ones?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is awesome! Look how dirty it was, how can you forget that beauty? Must have gotten grounded...

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the filth on that car and I cringe. I couldnt imagine letting my car go for that long let alone not driving it. Glad your putting some miles on it finally, these cars are meant to be driven.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should try to find other 92's along the way and hook up with them. Over the weekend I met a gentleman with a 92 with 30 miles on it and he also has a 93 that he drives on a regular basis. He is the original owner of both.

Bruce

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a great and safe trip !
Where in So Cal are you planning on visiting and when?
Shoot me a PM and maybe we can get a bunch of the SoCal Vipers to meet up with you.

V

Venomiss

Have a safe trip and enjoy the scenery!

We hope you will consider joining the VCA too.
These are the prorated prices for new viper owners to join the Viper Club of America.

The prorated amount for new regular and new venom members is
$75 for Standard

$110 for Venom

These prices go from July until September for 2010 membership.

As a Viper owner you are eligible to join the VCA with a VERIFIABLE Dodge Viper VIN. If you wish to join the VCA simply call VCA headquarters at 800-998-1110 with your credit card and VIN in hand. You can also join online 24/7 simply by clicking here. Now if you are currently listed as an Enthusiast and want your status upgraded to Viper Owner, drop a PM to either Lee (Lee00blacksilverGTS), Tony (ViperTony),or Kelly(kcobean).

OP
OP
V

viper209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Metal part #5245157-ba @ $502.00 each
I will post invoice. total cost to replace head gaskets parts and labor = $3387.79

OP
OP
V

viper209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper209 back on the road. Put 200 miles on this morning and it was GREATTTTTTTT. Forgot that feeling. Lots of highway and stop and go. Ran great and turned lots of heads. Only frown is brakes squeak a little. Look to add another 200 tonight when it cools off outside. Total cost to restore was 10K. Will post invoice and during and after pictures later today.
Thanks to everyone for all comments, suggestions and kind offers.
Looking forward to the BBQ in Dalton, GA. on July 31st, meeting other owners and getting back into Vipering.

Rick and Richard
Viper209

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is just one exiting story!! Those pictures are just gold, I have #223 and I see your car wears the same had, remember this head is not a rain jacket, so it keeps most of the rain outside, but 10% going through is annoying enough in a big rain moment!! This trip of yours is going to be gold!!!!I have just putten mine in order too, so there are 2 92's back on the road! Go on and drive it like you bought....once long ago.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool! Keep us posted on your adventure! Travel safe!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awsome!! Keep posting your progress etc.

On another note; I remember seeing pics of that dusty '92 a few years ago... It's so cool to know the car's on the road again!!!

BTW, we like pics around here.....

=J

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like a "barn find" in your own barn. He! He! I just did the same thing on a 69 Mustang Mach 1 I have owned for 24 years now. Pulled it out last summer with about 2 inches of dust on it. Had to replace quite a bit of new parts with new parts. Radiator, carb, fuel lines, all fluids, belts, hoses, etc.. Amazing how bad it deterioates from doing absolutely nothing.

Only additional advice I can give is either avoid Colorado or purchase two tickets to get home after I take the 92' off your hands when you come through the state. :lmao:

Seriously though, beautiful car and enjoy the trip with your son!:2tu: That's one happy kid and I can't blame him!!!!!!!!!

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son and I are taking our 1992 Viper #209 cross country. It has 5000 miles, all original and has been hidden and forgot about in garage last 15 years. We are replacing all belts, hoses, fluids, and tires. We are original owners. Please share with us any concerns we should be aware of in this venture.. #209 has never been out of city and never driven more than about 1-2 hours at a run. Never been over 70MPH. We plan on going across lower states to southern California then up to Washington across to Maine then back to Hilton Head SC.
Thanks Rick and Richard

Is it worth the risk? Added to what others have allready warned you about the car hasnt even been used enough to determine if any other factory problems could potentialy arise. Thats a long ride on a flatbed or too the nearest guy that knows vipers. It gets real hot in the So Cal desert.

Hey its your vacation. Good luck!

Last edited:

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Suggestions:

1. Bring earplugs. The mirror on the '92s flow directly into your left ear. I only use them on long stretch driving since I like hearing the engine.

2. I assume you don't have AC since it was only offered a year later as a retrofit. The soft top is use less and a hard top works but you have to leave it in a hotel room and then place it back on the car before driving to your next destination.

3. I have never had head gasket issues and don't intend on replacing them unless needed. I have 25K miles on my car.

4. Replace the transmission and rear end fluid

5. retorque your wheels and check tire pressure

6. I always keep an extra quart of oil in my trunk just in case

7. Replace the wires and plugs! You'll be glad you did.

8. I would check the right side air intake on the hood and vents. Mice, water and debri can build up.

9. change or clean the air filters

10. Bring a hat, sunblock and jacket

11. You may consider flushing the gas tank to prevent water from entering the gas system. I always use fuel stabilizers when storing the car but the previous owner probably did not!

12. Tighten the side exhaust bolts. 1992 RT/10s had a unique hanger system of springs and bolts. They work loose and rattle loudly. They might not loosen until mid trip and then you'll hate life. They make a racket!!! You can still purchase a kit from Dodge that anchors the exhaust similar to 1993-1995 systems. It's a one day job. There was an illustrated guide to the installation but it is no longer in the VCA section of the site. I do have the guide if you decide to purchase the kit. The provided instructions are less than desirable.

13. Don't install the glass rear window if you run with the top down. Wind buffets around the cockpit dramatically more than with the window removed.

14. You'll love your introduction to viper hair (or wear a hat!)

15. Enjoy your RT/10. They are reliable and great fun.

James Taylor
1992 RT/10 #53
1996 GTS

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice series of pictures!! I would love to see some detailed pics of the dash and interior, i'm very curious in what kind a state they are by now!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diggin' the pics!!!

Have a blast!! ... (I cringe to hear the $s you paid for the headgasket job! I've now done the job twice, once for me and once for another owner..) at a cost of $600 ea. +/-... and my time.... which is free.

BTW, It'll be nice to burn the rust off the piston heads!!... If/when you make it to the Wash.DC. area.. I'd be more than happy to ride a few hundred miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway with you.. Shoot me a PM on your east-bound journey. (Don't even think about rolling down rt.95 along the east coast.. Boston to Richmond, VA. is a parking lot compared to your trip from the west..)

=J

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viper209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice series of pictures!! I would love to see some detailed pics of the dash and interior, i'm very curious in what kind a state they are by now!
A little frown there. The gray is a little sticky. Other than that all is fine inside

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd take JonB's phone number along with you in case you need emergency parts or advice on where to get service. Jon's located in the south of Washington State.

If you'd like to see the best scenery in N. America we are having a car show at Nimpo Lake, BC Sept 11 and 12th! Couple weeks before VOI 11 at Salt Lake City, Utah. Which one will you choose? If you're out here in the Pacific Naorthwest post on the regional forums and see what's happening along the way. There'll be convoys all over North America driving their vipers in groups to Salt Lake City end of Sept.

Ted