3.33 gear on 2006 Coupe ?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to improve the pull in 5th gear on my 2006 for landspeed racing.
I was thinking about installing a 3.33 gear.

I know that many guys choose the 3.50 or 3.70 ratio for drag racing.
However my aim is to hit 200mph with my Viper.

Anybody running this gear set on a Viper ?

What do you think about ?

Can I change myself the gear or it is better to go in a tranny job ?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be honest from what I hear its probably more cost effective and an all around better mod to swap the 5th and 6th gears and remain stock (also teh cost is about double of what you mention doing above but better benefits) DC Performance can do the work.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the diff ratio may not necessarily allow you to go faster on the top end in the standing mile. Mark J. has posted about this. The problem is the fifth gear itself. Revs drop 1700 RPM ( at least in the Gen III). If you change to 3.33, you will shift out of fourth earlier at a lower speed. When I shift out of fourth at 165 MPH, the rev drop kills the power. But, on the other hand, I have read posts that say that puting in a 3.33 or 3.55 made fifth gear usable.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be honest from what I hear its probably more cost effective and an all around better mod to swap the 5th and 6th gears and remain stock (also teh cost is about double of what you mention doing above but better benefits) DC Performance can do the work.

I agree with above-made the change on my CC and 5th falls on its face-change the transmission gears!

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does this cost to change 5th and 6th gear? I would pull the tranny myself.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the first Worlds Fastest Dodge Viper event at the Texas Mile several years ago & this is what was witnessed.

Forced Induction ( Super Charged or TT ) Because their is no substitution for Forced Induction when it comes to the Mile Run especially if you want a 200 mph T-shirt ( club ).

Rear Gear ratios were 3.07 for top MPH

Rear Tires were from 19" to 20" running on Michilen PS2.

The Vipers never got out of 5th gear The slowest Viper hit 199 mph and was a Paxton Supercharged 860 HP daily driver.

FYI

Let us know your final set up & your results.

Toddy

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will stay stock. I just want to hit 200mph.The perfect gear ratio would be 3.27 for my stock Viper.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the first Worlds Fastest Dodge Viper event at the Texas Mile several years ago & this is what was witnessed.

Forced Induction ( Super Charged or TT ) Because their is no substitution for Forced Induction when it comes to the Mile Run especially if you want a 200 mph T-shirt ( club ).

Rear Gear ratios were 3.07 for top MPH

Rear Tires were from 19" to 20" running on Michilen PS2.

The Vipers never got out of 5th gear The slowest Viper hit 199 mph and was a Paxton Supercharged 860 HP daily driver.

FYI

Let us know your final set up & your results.

Toddy

My Viper is supercharged and makes 685 RWHP. It has stock gearing and the stock diff ratio. My redline is 6200 per DC's blower tune. Fourth gear ends at 165 MPH. How did a Viper with stock gearing exceed 165 MPH in fourth? Please explain. I do not believe the above is possible. The cars would have had to shift to fifth.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is supercharged and makes 685 RWHP. It has stock gearing and the stock diff ratio. My redline is 6200 per DC's blower tune. Fourth gear ends at 165 MPH. How did a Viper with stock gearing exceed 165 MPH in fourth? Please explain. I do not believe the above is possible. The cars would have had to shift to fifth.

Bob,

I think you mis-read what Toddy said. Most Viper's never shift to sixth (get out of fifth) at the mile.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Originally posted by Bobpantax)
(Fourth gear ends at 165 MPH)

Your correct Emily with Stock gearing ( 3.07 ) I could always get 160 mph out of my SRT Coupe providing I had enough road & the right conditions ( no traffic ).

The reason some of the Vipers were running 20" tires was because they needed to maximize the 3.07 rear gear ratio in 5th gear to hit 220 plus mph. Going into 6th gear slowed them down with the .50 final ratio & was also the weak link in the T56's.

The guys that are talking close ratio 5th & 6th gears is the direction we are exploring also. It's nice to see that Dodge put this ratio into the ACRX-Track, because all the high performance guys were already doing it.

It cost less money to go with a rear gear ratio change, that's probably why it did not catch on years ago? I think the secrets out of the box & it's part of the future for standard high performance modifications for the Vipers owners across the board who demand only the best:usa:

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just ordered my 3.33 gear ratio. This is really for speed racing to hit 200mph in 5th gear.

This is what I want:

Tranny5.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang