3.55, 3.73 or stock?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want more kick in the second gear but don't want to be shifting too much on the road track. Should I keep it stock or upgade?
Thanks

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey EL, I put the 3.55s in my 96 GTS and I love them!! My car is modded about the same as yours, and you will see a bigger improvement in pull , more than all of your mods put together. The car pulls real hard in 2nd, traction may be a problem, but you can practice the launch and overcome it. I live in CT and its kinda like NY, its hard to find a long open spot, the gears will get you around better in tighter driving arenas...AL...00PROWLER...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55's in my RT/10 and love them. The car pulls like a ***** ape! I have the 3.07's in my GTS since I track the GTS I've kept the stock 3.07's. If you track the car I would keep the gears stock as you will be shifting more often. Some of the fastest people on the track such as Jon Dearing (Viper Days "Prepared class") run the stock 3.07's. I had thought about changing to the 3.55's before I began to track the car, now I'll keep the 3.07's. Hope this helps.
supergrin.gif

-Jonathan

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to track down some 3.45s and they are a great change from the 3.73 that came w/ my car. Do not go with the lower gears if you plan any more mods to your car - you will have severe traction problems and will blow through the power band too fast to enjoy it
smile.gif
3.45s allow good hookup and make 6th a perfect cruising gear. The only advantage to a 3.73 is that you NEVER hit the skip shift - I've hit it 4 or 5 times in traffic after the change and it drives me nuts...