3.55 COMPLETE Diff for Sale, also Unitrax 1/2 Shafts

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Viper owners,

So I have gotten the itch for MORE power and less weight.

So I am going to sell my 1 month old Heavy Duty Unitrax Half shafts, and buy the Heavy Duty LIGHT weight versions. Wish I had figured out I wanted to LIGHTEN my car before buying the normal weight ones. Great set, only have 1 month on them, in perfect shape.

The 3.55 (Complete Assembly) I am going to sell as I am going back to 3.07 since I have plans off adding substaintail power.

If your interested in either of these, please email me at [email protected] and we'll work out a deal.

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I wouldnt sell you it, although you have been known to buy other inferior products.. even I wouldnt stoop so low as to sell you anything.

How about you work on KICKING down that $25 you still owe me, and then we'll worrry about Car sales. And DONT try to blame american airlines again...

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did I read about a Vette guy with a 40lb beer gut bragging about how much weight he saved with his super expensive titanium exhaust? You won't save much rotational weight inertia effect, the diameter of the shafts isn't much. Should put the money into a mod..Enjoy!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks FE, and your right, BUT when the sum of the little stuff adds up.. it COUNTS. So for example look at my sig, my weight is 3460, and thus far, I was able to drop 7 lbs by going to light weight flywheel, and I am going to get some other lightened parts, so if I can get my porky (viper) down to 3300 lbs, I will be extremely happy. The Unitrax lighter shafts SAVE you 20 lbs over the Heavy Duty regular versions. So 27 lbs aint bad to start with simple bolt ons.

BTW, I weigh 155 lbs, so a 40lbs gut would look VERY wierd on me.. lol got your point.. but I think you get mine, saving 7 here, 20 there, another 5 here, 10 there.. will start to add up QUICKLY to a good savings.

Jon

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought you would save more than 7lb on the flywheel. I went from 24lb OEM flywheel to 8lb aluminum on a stock car.

Racing seats might save quite a bit.
Don't put big brakes on it. That might save some.
Would a gel cell battery save any?
Get rid of the cats and mufflers.
Drill holes in the heater knobs.
Use thinner plug wires.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought you would save more than 7lb on the flywheel. I went from 24lb OEM flywheel to 8lb aluminum on a stock car.

Well I have no clue what set up you have, but I did make a typo, I saved 17 LBS. As I weighed my production flywheel at 34 lbs, and my Fidenza at 17 lbs.

Total savings = 17 lbs on flywheel.

Jon

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK on the 17lb instead of 7lb. That sound's better.

I guess they asked what you are going to do with the car because some of the weight cut suggestions wouldn't be good for some uses.

Had I known you want to road race, I wouldn't have said to stay with the small brakes.

How about the gel cell? Did you look into the weight difference?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, I was thinking you were being 1/2 serious with your drill holes and no upgraded breaks. There is a good thread/list on here of whats possible with simple changes, so I wont bore people with relisting.

Yeah, fortunetly though I have 2002 ABS system and its really very good, so no need for bigger breaks yet, but perhaps eventually.

Gel cell you will have to enlighten me on. :-D

Jon

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gel cell is a different battery technology. Most car batteries are lead acid. You know how heavy these can be.

I think the gel cell is still a lead acid battery but it has no liquid in it.
I've seen them in use in aircraft.

I don't really know how much, if any weight can be saved by the use of a gel cell. That's why I said that you might want to check it out.

I believe that the "Optima" battery is a gel cell.

Also, you might simply consider a smaller battery. I'm sure you could save 10lb without hurting the starting capability.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks FE, and your right, BUT when the sum of the little stuff adds up.. it COUNTS. So for example look at my sig, my weight is 3460, and thus far, I was able to drop 7 lbs by going to light weight flywheel, and I am going to get some other lightened parts, so if I can get my porky (viper) down to 3300 lbs, I will be extremely happy. The Unitrax lighter shafts SAVE you 20 lbs over the Heavy Duty regular versions. So 27 lbs aint bad to start with simple bolt ons.BTW, I weigh 155 lbs, so a 40lbs gut would look VERY wierd on me.. lol got your point.. but I think you get mine, saving 7 here, 20 there, another 5 here, 10 there.. will start to add up QUICKLY to a good savings.Jon
Well good luck Jon! Just for a reference the, Doug Levin site's dyno calculator says that it takes 20hp more for a 3460lb car to do 118mph in the quarter than a 3300lb car. I know you're roadracing, but it's still kind of a drag race from corner to corner. Anyway, you'll gain the equivalent of about 20hp with a 160lb weight reduction. Years ago I used to drag a friend on our identical dirt bikes who was about 100lbs heavier than me. The weight difference seemed to show up only in the first 50-75 feet or so, then the bikes stayed even. That's the limit of my personal experience on the matter. Someone's making plexiglass rear windows for GTSs. I think it's Autoform-can't recall. They are making carbon fiber rear quarter panels for the GTS too I think. Good luck dood :)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks FE, I have already begon the process for installing the Paxton Supercharger, so the power is coming, but I am still going to try and get this Fatty at 3300 even. Its probably going to be a while before I obtain that goal. At least the power increase was near instantaneous. (2 weeks is close enough, when it comes to MOD POWER).

Jon