3.55 gear Vendor question

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is everyone buying there 3.55 ring & pinion and speedo calibrator from? I've found two shops so far(no names mentioned) both great shops and they are $50.00 apart from each other on the gear and $50 apart on the speedo calibrator also. Just need some suggestions

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a used calibration box and it ended up being the old version which is no big deal, but bad, which is a big deal. Bought a new version from Unitrax and after a boneheaded mis-splice during install which was totally my fault, it has worked flawlessly. IIRC it was about $90-$100. They built my diff with 3.55 and their posi upgrade (whatever that is) too but I bought that used so there was a middle man.

pickeralbc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered and installed myself a 3.73 complete differential from DC Performance. The gears were setup by Unitrax. DC Performance also supplied me with oil, straps and bolts. Also got a Unitrax speedo calibrator from them. I could return my stock diff for a $400 core credit but will keep it incase I ever want to switch it back. So far, very happy!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Specmo in MI used to advertise their speedo recalibrator on the VCA marketplace.

I called them last year, and while their Woodward Ave office is closed, they do sell the box for approx. $130 out of their Flint office.

Their box used to be larger than the Unitrax box, so depending on the installation location, it might be worth spending the extra $$ on a smaller box.

Otherwise, I still plan on using the 3.55 from Reider Racing in MI.

-------------------------------
For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is unitrax the only company making gears for our cars? Just wanting to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples, when I see the $50 price difference. The cheaper place I priced was unitrax gear and speedo calibrator.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is unitrax the only company making gears for our cars?
They don't manufacture them. They are a Dana/Spicer resellers. Their stock-in-trade is quick turn around, good customer service, quality work, and some "secret/magic" upgrade they do to the GenII posi units (for extra $$$). Bad thing is the dang carrier unit weighs 75 pounds so packing/shipping is a PITA.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a call from Reider Racing that my $175 Dana 3.55 r&p has arrived... Hoo-hoo !

I'll pick it up early next week :)

-------------------------------
For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unitrax has a great reputation here in SoCal. They often have them when others are back ordered. Most of the local shops use them as their source.

They are most expert at setting up the pumpkins so the gears are not too tight (noisey) or not too loose (weak)

They offer cryo treating as well as some other special treatments to make the gears quieter and stronger.

These people know the difference between the different gear availability and will sell you the proper gears for your application.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ordered my 3.33 through Roe when availability was scarce. Everything actually came from Unitrax. Dana/Spicer gear, speedo box, fluids, rebuild kit. Everything labeled with instructions and break-in procedure. Very nice package.

Unitrax half shafts and safety hoops from Partsrack.