3.55s??

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't have time to filter through the hundreds of "gears" threads, since "3.55" was too short to produce results. I

All this wasted time, all you had to do was call :D

I loved my 3.55's and wished I could still run them.
Make sure you check with me on pricing before you order ;)

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this wasted time, all you had to do was call :D

You REALLY don't want me calling every time I have an itch to modify the Viper. :D

Ken is getting the 3.55s installed soon, so I'm hoping to get some local feedback within the next few weeks. If it's not what I'm after, I'll go with Tom's 40mm brake upgrade, since that was on my list of things to do next before thinking about gears. That will also save me a trip to Dalton for the install. :D

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" So if you do lots of driving and like to harass others under 80/90MPH, it might be a good option."

That's me. :drive: I've only had the car over 120 a few times. It's not worth the ticket and imprisonment for me. I just want to get from0-100 ASAP.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great all around choice and the most popular one at that. Make sure you get a good Dana gear set with all the install parts and bearings if you are doing this yourself. Cheap gears are cheap for a reason and with 500hp you don't want cheap. :2tu:

Mark,
I see Dana, Unitrax and a few others on the market. Which are the best and who caries them at a fair price?
Thank you
Sal

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 355's in my 05. I enjoyed the feel of the extra power/tq, but the extra shifting got old on the street & track.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke an output shaft in the rear and had to put my 307s back in the car. The car feels like a neon compared to the 3.55s. Every gear is much more useable with 3.55s. As for it's not worth it for the seat of the pants feel? Isn't that why you buy a car like this? The more thrust the better!!!

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke an output shaft in the rear and had to put my 307s back in the car. The car feels like a neon compared to the 3.55s. Every gear is much more useable with 3.55s. As for it's not worth it for the seat of the pants feel? Isn't that why you buy a car like this? The more thrust the better!!!

Was your 11.05ET with the 3.55s? If so, it doesn't look like they hurt you too bad. :2tu:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked my 94 up from the shop and i already love the gear change (stock to 3:55's)...feels so much better to me and more responsive pulling out in first. Made a world of difference with a new B&M Short throw shifter installed at same time. Best mod you could do imho.

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thread on a very popular mod!

Personally, I can't wait to pop som 3.55 in there. Did it for my S/C BMW and it was one of my fav mods! The car came alive, snapped through the gears a little quicker (some state this as a bad thing).. I rev about 3k at 70mph, which is perfectly ok.. FOR ME.

It's all about how you intend to use your car... Most of us don't live in the 120+ mph each day.. For us, getting the extra tq off the line, and at each gear, makes a lot of sense even if it means rev'ing 100rpm more at highway-cruise speed (70mph). Shifting at 5mph slower than stock doesn't bother me either; in fact, I'd prefer it.

Oh, If you even list the improvement in MPG.. buy a fing Hybrid!

I didn't see a response to this question posted earlier:I see Dana, Unitrax and a few others on the market. Which are the best and who caries them at a fair price?

What's the options to buy gears and install them vs getting and swapping the whole pumkin?

Cheers!

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were Dana's from justdifferentials.com great service there too. I actually had 3:73's sent first but after reading here and talking to some other's i realized i wanted 3:55's and i am glad i sent the 3:73's back and exchanged them for the 3:55's. The man (Jeremy) at justdifferntials.com was very helpful. I couldn't be happier with the 3:55 change.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see a response to this question posted earlier:I see Dana, Unitrax and a few others on the market. Which are the best and who caries them at a fair price?

What's the options to buy gears and install them vs getting and swapping the whole pumkin?

Cheers!

All Unitrax gear sets are Dana's except the 3.33 and I believe it's made just for Unitrax.
All gears from anyone "may" be Dana products.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were Dana's from justdifferentials.com great service there too. I actually had 3:73's sent first but after reading here and talking to some other's i realized i wanted 3:55's and i am glad i sent the 3:73's back and exchanged them for the 3:55's. The man (Jeremy) at justdifferntials.com was very helpful. I couldn't be happier with the 3:55 change.

What I'm seeing on that website is the gear manufacture is "Nitro Gear" , not Dana. I understand it's a gear set for a Dana but was Dana the gear manufacturer ?

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to justdifferentials.com and have some Qs:

- Can't see a 3.55 ring pinion, closest is this 3.54:
Dana 44HD 44A M44 3.54 Ring Pinion Nitro Gear [D44HD-354-NG] - $214.99 : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

Is this the correct one? (96 Viper GTS)

- Why is there such a price difference between 3.33 ($400) and 3.54 ($215)? Both made my Nitro Gear.. Not that I will pick my ratio based on this price difference but I'm curious..

- Nitro Gear and Dana Spicer seems to be the choices; which one has better rep, any other brands to consider/not consider?

A
ps
Drove the beast into work today.. A WRX snaked his way through the traffic and snugged up behind. Up on an empty freeway, gunned it a tad and left him, slowed down only to see him haul ass passed me afew secs later.. :lmao: Guess I got beat..not..

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm,i may be wrong then. I saw it was for Dana and thought it was a Dana product. Now i am not positive. Either way they work great for me. Best advice is check it out good and make sure it is what you want. I am going to look some more and i will try and find out and post.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what it says ...from the site.( until now i thought mine were 3:55's) Does say for Viper,but now i say see for yourself and find out if it's what you want) mine feel great but i admit i thought it was straight up Dana and 3:55's)

Rear Differential: Dana 44HD 44A

Ratio: 3.54

Brand: Nitro Gear

Warranty: 1 Year

Pinion Spline Count: 29

# of Ring Gear Bolts: 10 (not included with gear set)

Vehicle Applications:

•1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
•1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ
•1994-1996 Chevy Corvette with Manual Trans
•1992-2008 Dodge Viper
Tech note: Gears originally equipped with 7/16" bolts will require 3/8" bolts & sleeves

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the link in my previous post.

Hmmm,i may be wrong then. I saw it was for Dana and thought it was a Dana product. Now i am not positive. Either way they work great for me. Best advice is check it out good and make sure it is what you want. I am going to look some more and i will try and find out and post.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the link but it wouldn't work. I emailed Jeremy at justdifferentials and asked if i could send the 3:73's back and exchange for 3:55's and he said sure,so i did and he did and i guess what i really got is 3:54's..but they are working great so far anyway. I don't know if it makes any difference to you but i am not complaining. I just know they worked with me about exchanging them and i like em so that's about all i know to tell ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant