3M or not?

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recieved my 13 Viper... just wondering what you all think of 3M? I swore I would never get it on another vehicle I owned but now I am feeling a bit guilty for not having it. Are the side sills too hot to have it applied? Where on your cars do you guys have it installed? Thanks.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recieved my 13 Viper... just wondering what you all think of 3M? I swore I would never get it on another vehicle I owned but now I am feeling a bit guilty for not having it. Are the side sills too hot to have it applied? Where on your cars do you guys have it installed? Thanks.

I got the Suntek which is a new product, much better than the original 3m which is orange peely. I think 3m has a new product to try and rival the Suntek but I don't have much knowledge on it.

What city are you in? Blackout Tinting in Edmonton did mine, and I would highly recommend them to everyone. I had some scratches on my hood, they offered to peel off the protection film when I got a detail, and re-install it for free. They held good on their word and the car looks great.

I have a 12" strip on my hood and fenders, front bumper, and mirror caps done.

OP
OP
C

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Suntek which is a new product, much better than the original 3m which is orange peely. I think 3m has a new product to try and rival the Suntek but I don't have much knowledge on it.

What city are you in? Blackout Tinting in Edmonton did mine, and I would highly recommend them to everyone. I had some scratches on my hood, they offered to peel off the protection film when I got a detail, and re-install it for free. They held good on their word and the car looks great.

I have a 12" strip on my hood and fenders, front bumper, and mirror caps done.

Thanks, for the reply... I'm in Sherwood Park I will be giving Blackout Tinting a call tomorrow. I'm just worried about being able to see the lines where the film ends. I'll let ya know. Thanks again!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, for the reply... I'm in Sherwood Park I will be giving Blackout Tinting a call tomorrow. I'm just worried about being able to see the lines where the film ends. I'll let ya know. Thanks again!

You can take a look at it on my car if you want to see how bad the lines stick out. I hardly notice them compared to traditional 3m. Blackout Tinting does 3m as well if you choose that route.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After the damage to my front bumper and hood on my black '99 GTS, I swore I would 3m clear bra my next Viper. I'm glad I did. The front bumper cover on my '09 has sustained a direct hit from a Turkey at 60mph, hitting a tire wall at Road America, and bumping a tree stump (don't ask). All three instances did damage to the clear bra. Significant damage from the tire wall. However, not one left a mark on the paint! I wish I would have covered more of the car or I would not be repainting the door, side sill, and rear quarter panel. All sustained paint damage from the tire wall.

Have a look at how the clear film protected my side sill. At least the part that was covered. This had been on the car for 4 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the damage to my front bumper and hood on my black '99 GTS, I swore I would 3m clear bra my next Viper. I'm glad I did. The front bumper cover on my '09 has sustained a direct hit from a Turkey at 60mph, hitting a tire wall at Road America, and bumping a tree stump (don't ask). All three instances did damage to the clear bra. Significant damage from the tire wall. However, not one left a mark on the paint! I wish I would have covered more of the car or I would not be repainting the door, side sill, and rear quarter panel. All sustained paint damage from the tire wall.

Have a look at how the clear film protected my side sill. At least the part that was covered. This had been on the car for 4 years.

Thanks... after seeing these pics I know my answer. Your sills still look new. Got it booked in for tomorrow morning at Blackout Tinting. Doing side sills, rockers and front end. I'll post some pics once I get it back. Thanks again!

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Xpel Ultimate instead of 3M. I had my '13 done at 800 miles and wish I had done it sooner. The side sills were already showing signs of sand blasting from the sticky tires. The film is self healing, I'm pretty impressed with it.

OP
OP
C

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Xpel Ultimate instead of 3M. I had my '13 done at 800 miles and wish I had done it sooner. The side sills were already showing signs of sand blasting from the sticky tires. The film is self healing, I'm pretty impressed with it.
Yup for sure... dropped it off this morning and will pick it up tonight. A little more expensive than 3m but from what you guys are saying, totally worth it.

OP
OP
C

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping he would want to check out the Suntek wrap on my car first, just so I could go take a look at the car. lol

Sorry haha.... been busy with work. Got the Suntek and they did an amazing job... sent you a pm.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I tried the 3M clear spray using my daily driver as the pig. The stuff works very well--did the whole front end of a 2013 Explorer for $25.00 and about 2 hrs of work--mostly taping off the areas I did not want to coat. I've put on 3K with no problems at all. The only thing you have to be careful about is getting a "run" if you spray too aggressive. They recommend 3 light coats to prevent "runs". I may do one of my Vipers.---Dave