3R Racing Reluctantly Heads to Mosport

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Immediate Release
August 29, 2005
3R Racing Reluctantly Heads to Mosport

Englewood, Colorado ? 3R Racing reluctantly heads north of the border to Canada for round ten of the SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge GT series race to be run on Saturday at Mosport International Raceway.

The team has endured a season of restrictions that has hampered the performance of the 3R Racing Viper Competition Coupes. Tommy Archer, driver of the number 1/c3controls/3R Viper, managed to win the first two events of the season, but has had to rely on the competition to falter to finish well in the races since.

“We had the opportunity to do a test with the series last week to show exactly where the Viper stands in relation to the other front running cars in the series,” said Tim Wiens, team owner and driver of the number 3/FirsTier Bank/3R Viper. “We believed we proved that the car, with its current 35% air restrictor and running at a base weight of 3,150 lbs., will not provide Tommy and 3R the opportunity to defend our title from last year. We were within an hour of not competing this weekend. We are frustrated and want the prospect to be a player in the season ending battle for top honors.”

“The car is saddled with restrictions and that makes its difficult to race at the front where the car should be running. The best measure of performance is qualifying. I have not been able to start anywhere better than sixth since St. Petersburg. It is very difficult to compete for the championship and defend my title from last year with the way the team is forced to prepare the car.” Archer has raced and won at Mosport many times, finishing third there last year. “Will Moody and I know what the car wants at Mosport and we will be ready. The track is one of my favorites; I have won there many times. We will give our best on Saturday.”

Archer is now tied for second with Porsche driver Liddell and both are five points behind Cadillac’s Pilgrim, 202 to 197, in the fight for the series drivers championship. Tim Wiens is currently ninth with 123 points.

Round ten of the SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge GT series will be run at Mosport on Saturday, September 3rd and televised on the Speed Channel on Saturday, September 10th at 1:00 p.m. EST.

3R Racing Viper Competition Coupe weight and restrictions:

· Base weight 3,100 lbs., minus 50 lbs. prior to Mosport
· 35% air restrictor
· Archer R.E.W.A.R.D.S. weight is 165 lbs.

Speed GT Top 10 Drivers Points:

1. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 202
2. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 197
3. Robin Liddell Porsche 197
4. Wolf Henzler Porsche 189
5. Max Papis Cadillac 145
6. Tony Gaples Corvette 137
7. Stu Hayner Pontiac 137
8. Leighton Reese Corvette 126
9. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 123
10. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 115

3R Racing would like to thank sponsors c3controls, Sirius Satellite Radio, FirsTier Bank and partners Red Line Oil, Performance Friction brake pads, Ron Davis radiators and Dodge Motorsport.

For more information or photos, please refer www.3RRacing.com

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REWARDS----- sure it is a real "reward" a punishment for excelling

Air restrictor--- both of these concepts have convoluted the idea of building the best car or letting the best driver(or luckiest for that matter), engine, win races.

the governing(sanctioning) bodies of numerous racing leagues/series have twisted the idea of what COMPETITION is. (NASCAR & Formula 1 ) are prime examples of how ridiculous some of the rules have become (not that any of the others are that much better)

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess there is some science behind the addition and subtraction of weight according to the place the car finishes each race.

The intake restriction however seems somewhat arbitrary and smells of manufacturer partisanship to me. Maybe if Dodge was officially involved it would be different for the Viper.

What is the formula for determination of the percent restriction according to the SCCA?
Is it weight/HP (prior to rewards)? Or is it just pulled out of the air?

It seems to me that the SCCA determines who the winning manufacturer is to be. Of course the driver matters but there are a number of very competitive drivers in the World Challenge series.

You (3R) guys are throwing a lot of money at this race series... not to be playing on a level playing field would frankly prompt me to boycott this last race if I were in your shoes.

There are enough Vipers in the field that it would be noticed if all participated. If you think Tommy can pull off the drivers championship with the ball and chain around his leg then go for it.

I will be rooting for you guys. Give 'em hell!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It has surprised me that SCCA has done nothing to the Porsche all year, and one wonders how they could not notice that the early fields for World Challenge were 30+ cars. Now with the constant restrictions , the make that often constituted 1/3 of the field is down to only 5-6 combatants. It is sad that the governing body is willing to look with the blind eye as the number of drivers dwindles - Viper Comp Coupe pilots are already serving notice to SCCA.