$50K for a GEN-1 viper at B-J

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600 venom car with who knows how many miles on it. i bet i could sell my GEN-2 viper ACR with similar modz for more $$$ than that. my snake is only 6 years old though and this car is already 14 years old so...... i think when my snake is 14 years old it will be worth $100k. you just won't find me sellin it at barrett-jackson. on this here $50k viper the seller had to pay 8% in commmision which means he really only netted out $45k on the car. the buyer had it even worse as he had to pay a 10% commission so he really bought the car for $56K. this includes your $500 bidders fee. the only winner in this game is craig jackson.

doug fresh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$50,000 + 10% commision + $500 bidders fee = $55,500.00
And the $500.00 bidders fee you are counting towards one car, it would be less if you bought more than one car.
example: If you bought 2 cars it would work out to $250.00 per car...and so on

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the point here is that cars sold at Barrett Jackson are WAY over priced, comparable cars in general can be bought MUCH cheaper elsewhere.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big part of Barrett Jackson is the experience. The carnival atmosphere. I'm seriously thinking of attending next year. I have zero intention of buying a car (although, you never know! :D ). My understanding is that a bidders pass gets you access to areas you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

What is $500 these days? A good seat at a concert cost that. A not so good seat at a really good game cost that. Those events are over in 3 hours. For 5 hundo at BJ the car enthusiast gets a week of entertainment. That's a bargain! :2tu:

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big part of Barrett Jackson is the experience. The carnival atmosphere. I'm seriously thinking of attending next year. I have zero intention of buying a car (although, you never know! :D ). My understanding is that a bidders pass gets you access to areas you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

What is $500 these days? A good seat at a concert cost that. A not so good seat at a really good game cost that. Those events are over in 3 hours. For 5 hundo at BJ the car enthusiast gets a week of entertainment. That's a bargain! :2tu:

B-J is a very fun event to attend as a spectator. i went last year and have already been this year as i went saturday last weekend and will be there saturday and sunday again this weekend. you don't need a bidders pass to get access to areas that you otherwise wouldn't have access to. in fact last year i paid the $50 gate fee and has access to ever single vehicle on the property. last saturday with a mere vendors pass i drove my vette onto vendors row and had access to every car at the event before the event had even started as they were still in set-up mode. i watched the OCC shelby chopper start up and move into the tent. 131 cubic inches with a magna supercharger. this was one seriously loud bike :headbang:

on the way out i met craig jackson and talked to him for a little bit. i told him a story about how back in the 80's i went to this small private HIGH skool across the street from where the B-J used to be back in the 70's and 80's. i told him how i used to sneak out of skool and sneak into the B-J auction, lol. craig said he went to the same high skool as me and graduated from there in the 70's. yes, i do admire craig for what he has achieved and all of his success and i do think he has made the car world a better place. but selling or buying a viper at B-J at this time is a losing proposition IMO. if i were to sell my viper at B-J i would wait at least another 15 years before i attempted to do so as vipers will appreciate in value more by then and this will then offset all the fees incurred. :2tu:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved how the commentators were talking H.E.N. up they have no clue.. Hopefully its a solid car, with no issues for that kind of dough... I wonder if the stripes were vinyl, of if the car was painted??

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$50,000 + 10% commision + $500 bidders fee = $55,500.00
And the $500.00 bidders fee you are counting towards one car, it would be less if you bought more than one car.
example: If you bought 2 cars it would work out to $250.00 per car...and so on

this is true. but i see that you live in new york so don't forget to add up all your travel expenses to truck all your ridez in a semi across the US. your cars are required to reside on B-J property for 10 days as well. :shocked:

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm headed there this afteroon to take it all in...And to watch a 2001 Plymouth Prowler and 2002 Dodge Viper GTS/ACR go acroos the block, should be fun.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$400 for bidding if you registered before Dec 1. But who's counting?

Seriously, for those that have done this I was thinking about going as well next year and would love any advice. I almost went last year with the Viper folks but couldn't due to another trip. The bidder pass includs a guest so my wife can go as well. I was thinking of just getting a couple tickets on frequent flyer miles and popping over there for a week. I didn't like reading about a $6K down payment regardless if you buy anything though. Of course you get that back but that seems laim if you have pre-approved and validated credit. What do they do stick all these $6K payments in an account for a week and draw interest from it? Kinda cheap if you ask me. And it's not like $6K would cover the cost of a vehicle if you re-neg'd on a deal. I just don't understand that part.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect format for Jackson. Round up a herd of filthy rich old fat guys, serve them unlimited quantities of booze, put the cameras on them and have a middle aged brunette bidder's assistant squeeze their buttocks while they bid to defend their ego's on national TV.

This is the only place to sell a rare highly collectable car if you are interested in getting more than it's worth.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 Venom 600 was a 1995 black with silver stripes and and 18K miles. Car looked pretty sharp with hardtop, hard side windows and A/C. The stripes looked to be painted. This was also a magazine cover car for some magazine supercar shootout that year and this car was the winner.

I agree with a prior post that the documented enhancement package [*****], TNT etc. builders cars are going to be the Yenko and Baldwin Motion equivalents in 20 years going for megabucks. The bone stock cars will also be in high demand. Those heavily modded by "who knows who" are not going to have much collector value. Heavily modded cars are already selling for less than bone stock cars on lots of Gen 1 and Gen 2's under due to the assumption they were "rode hard and put away wet".

The unmolested ACR's and competition coupes should also do well in the future.

Red with white stripes 2002 GTS Coupe went up this afternoon with 6K miles. It was one of 34 final editions with ACR racing package. Don't know what it went for.

A 2004 1000HP [*****] twin turbo goes up Saturday. It is a white Mamba edition with 1432 miles.

Good to see Vipers in the auction. Lots of the 60's and 70's muscle cars selling for big bucks today have the advantage of growing up in the pre-CARFAX
era. Who knows what happened along the way or how many owners they have had. All Vipers are going to be pretty well documented from that aspect when they reach their heyday. Drive carefully!!!!!

I actually saw a 1969 COPO Camero today where the body was built to COPO specs around an original COPO 427 engine. I guess half genuine is better than not at all. Whatever happened, the engine was all that apparently survived.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bidder's package includes 12 drink tickets a day for a week. That's 72 drinks for $500 and only $400 if you register early. That makes it seem almost like you are getting to bid for free and may also explain some of the excessive bids. I saw $11,500 for a 66 VW Bug today and $65,000 for a 66 Porsche 911. It's like play money out here. A friend of mine refers to it as a father/daughter dance with all the old guys and their young trophy wives. I am here from Florida for the second year in a row. You have to come experience it at least once in your life. There are at least four other lesser known car auctions going on here this week also.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect format for Jackson. Round up a herd of filthy rich old fat guys, serve them unlimited quantities of booze, put the cameras on them and have a middle aged brunette bidder's assistant squeeze their buttocks while they bid to defend their ego's on national TV.

This is the only place to sell a rare highly collectable car if you are interested in getting more than it's worth.

LMAO thats hilarious :nana:

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lot #717 which is a 1999 corvette with lots of modz (618 hp via supercharger) and customization just sold for $51,000. thats more than the GEN-1 viper sold for.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but BJ is a joke and hurts the car market. Great revenue for them. But it is slowly destroying everything fun about our cars & their predecessors. I have no respect for someone who exploits the insecurities of others... Might as well be a ****. :nono:

I just hope important car people like Leno, ban "train wreck" events like this.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully....don't want to pick a fight....but how is it destroying the fun? I can understand that BJ is making a profit and that you may believe that it is excessive. I look at it as I get to see some very very rare cars that I would never get to see. The Cougar they had tonight was great! Would never have seen that car anyplace. A work of art that I thought was interesting and informative. I am not buying the cars, so to me I benefit with little to no down side. Better than people keeping their cars in barns.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully....don't want to pick a fight....but how is it destroying the fun? I can understand that BJ is making a profit and that you may believe that it is excessive. I look at it as I get to see some very very rare cars that I would never get to see. The Cougar they had tonight was great! Would never have seen that car anyplace. A work of art that I thought was interesting and informative. I am not buying the cars, so to me I benefit with little to no down side. Better than people keeping their cars in barns.

i agree with PLaw, that it is a blast to see all these neat cars come across our tv screens, but i also agree that the B-J has totally screwed everything up. hell, you cant even call about an old rusty ****** in the newspaper anymore, without the seller immediately trying to justify their ridiculous asking price, by starting the conversation with "well on B-J, i saw ....."

i dumped my Hemmings Motor News subscription last year because of my frustration of it all.

here is a great example. rusty, 318 car, and they want $5,000?! challenger

how about this beauty - $8,000?! PLEASE. challenger

how about this beauty for $8,000?!! another joke

how about this car for $400,000?! $400,000?!! gimme a break. cuda

one day this B-J auction craze will be over, and these people are going to wake up and say to themselves, "i cant believe i actually paid that much for that car!" in fact, i think we saw some of that trend tonight. i saw quite a few really neat cars sell very cheap tonight when compared to last years dollar standards. you could really hear the shock in the commentators voices tonight. we will see what happens over the weekend.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the 1930's bodied hot rods are going for way less this year. Some very well done cars going for $30k-$40k. I'll bet many of those guys have 2x+ that in them.

Also, a 1958 (I think) Porsche sold for $90k. Commentators said the car sold at last years BJ for $135k. Ouch!! And I'll bet the one year owner didn't even drive it. Double ouch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456