510 or 522? Which is better?

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a couple places where people have been doing stroker kits..

What types of setups are people doing?

Who is doing the engine work?

THanks,

Joe

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not Larry.

There are several reputable engine builders out there. If you are serious about it, figure out your combination first and then interview shops.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats pretty funny...

Have any recommedations?

I was just thinking in the long term... Figured I might start buying some of the parts here and there until I get all of them and then have someone install.....

It's easier to put down little chunks of cash.. Instead of the one big chunk...

Also what fuel setups do people run with this??

Joe

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that cubic inches aren't the way to go, but if your concerned about cash..........why not go the safe route and put all your money in the heads? I trust no one and a stroker motor will likely get you STROKED! Offset ground cranks can be problematic and are not as strong as OEM. Billet cranks will cost you a fortune, and most engine builders want to be in control of the entire project. If they supply all the parts, they will most likely be matched and correct. If you supply the parts they will cost you less and most likely be wrong. If the motor goes South and you supplied the parts, they will blame you. If the motor goes South and they supplied the parts, then they'll figure out an excuse how you screwed up anyway. Sorry to sound negative, but the further you get from the OEM design parameters the more likely you are going to have issues. I am sure there are a couple of reputable builders out there, but they aren't going to be cheap, nor am I saying they should be. Just some food for thought, a relatively stock motor with the best possible heads will always outperform a slightly bigger motor with average heads. It'll last longer too. Don't ask me how I know this.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting post...

Not to get away from the original question.... Are the strykers worth it??

Will a blown car with stock crank and strykers really be better than a stroked one with strykers????

I have read that the strykers are the best for cooling reasons on a blown car... Is this really true... Or can Mr. Good really make your stock castings that good????

Thanks,

Joe

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope... Pretty much decided to send the car down to Doug...
He's a great guy...

My only problem is my car has 3 bad tires.... Hard to test a car like this...
I am waiting to get my rims from Iforged.. They said probably late next week...
It's killing me ... I have brand new ps2's sitting in my garage.....

I just have no time with traveling soo much and my wife is getting on my case for messing with the car...
So I will just leave with Doug and have him make it all nice....
I figured I would have him do the new wires and plugs I have and then tune it up for me...
I might try to just replace the o2 sensor to see where that gets me.... doubt Ill have the time though..

How's your car doing??

Joe

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting post...

Not to get away from the original question.... Are the strykers worth it??

Will a blown car with stock crank and strykers really be better than a stroked one with strykers????

I have read that the strykers are the best for cooling reasons on a blown car... Is this really true... Or can Mr. Good really make your stock castings that good????

Thanks,

Joe

Yes Strykers work amazing, Are they worth it? That depends on you. No stock ported head will match them, and my car runs noticeably cooler with them. Castings are far thicker and more stable than stock.

Your second question is far too vague, and it really depends on your application and desires. Some desire N/A, while some like blown. My original answer to you was based on your desire to piece a motor together, not what is best.

I have heard nothing but great words about Greg Good, and he can probably port a set of stock castings to near Stryker power levels. It's just the simple fact that the Striker head is a much better design.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is running very good. I added the DLM tensioner tightener and his intercooler last week...it's fast and stays fast Only had a few run-ins with the odd high HP car, but it's still undefeated....the latest victim was an 05 Cobra with a bigger blower claiming 710 at the wheels...walked him good a few times....I think his numbers might have been inflated a bit though.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab,

I am talking about in a blown application...

What are people doing with there fuel systems?
and can the cams be bought or ordered? or do you have to get a custom cam made??

Joe

Yes Strykers work amazing, Are they worth it? That depends on you. No stock ported head will match them, and my car runs noticeably cooler with them. Castings are far thicker and more stable than stock.

Your second question is far too vague, and it really depends on your application and desires. Some desire N/A, while some like blown. My original answer to you was based on your desire to piece a motor together, not what is best.

I have heard nothing but great words about Greg Good, and he can probably port a set of stock castings to near Stryker power levels. It's just the simple fact that the Striker head is a much better design.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab - wish I could say the same thing regarding heat with my Strykers. I can get 4 or 5 hard laps on them before the water temps are at 250 degrees. Prior to the swap I would run 220-225 on hard laps. End of races I may reach as high as 235 if it was a hot June/July. Before they get super hot they do seem to make power though. Its a bummer right now though because the improved water jackets and design was a huge factor in my purchasing decision.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to the original question:

you should be asking yourself not what size, but billet crank vs. non. you see, 510/522/whatever is achieved either through a new crank or an offset grind of the stock crank. and some cranks will only grind so much. that plus an overbore (assuming as much as .040 over) gives you the displacement. 510 vs 488... not much of a difference, BUT if you are doing a rebuild, you may as well b/c the incremental cost when you have all the parts out anyway is pretty small. BUT if you are going w/ a billet crank then you know your specs beforehand. and the 4500-6500 cost for the crank alone. offset grind stocker is usually under $500... but it may not be an exact 510 or 522. might be a 508.5 or a 512 or a 518... all depends.

but the cubes are more important N/A rather than forced induction.

i could go on for hours but i haven't seen my kid all day...

JD

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe consider trading it in on an 08. Comes stock with bigger motor, better flowing heads, and lots of other high performance goodies, all under factory warranty.

Real answer to your question depends more on what you want to accomplish with the bigger engine. Most tuners will set down with you and advise you on the pros and cons of the build you are considering. Looking for torque, hp, revs, strip, track, street performance, etc.

In addition you will want to consider any further modifications you may plan on adding further down the road. SuperChargers, Turbos, NOS etc.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't want an 08... It's going to take a while before you will see real big hp number from any 08... I want to to see in the 800 to 1000 rhp numbers... not 540..

I can spend money on heads and get what the 08 gives me....

Joe

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not gonna get those type numbers without Turbos, NOS or SuperCharger.:drive:

Can get almost 800 hp (RW)with properly tuned Paxton and exhaust. No engine work needed. Then it's time for stickey tires.:headbang:

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, I know... Thats why I have a paxton now...
Thinking of what would be next....

Joe

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab - wish I could say the same thing regarding heat with my Strykers. I can get 4 or 5 hard laps on them before the water temps are at 250 degrees. Prior to the swap I would run 220-225 on hard laps. End of races I may reach as high as 235 if it was a hot June/July. Before they get super hot they do seem to make power though. Its a bummer right now though because the improved water jackets and design was a huge factor in my purchasing decision.

Wow Bugeater, something seems really wrong. Did you do a head swap only or did it accompany additional motorwork? If you haven't already, maybe you should give Jeff Morys a call and see what he has to say. Is your car a GenII or III? My original decision was based on performance figures, but the cooler temps came as a nice surprise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang