60 mph in first gear??

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at the old articles testing the 2003/2004 SRT-10 they state the viper could hit 60 in first gear. In fact the first comparison I read between the Ford GT and the Viper was clear that both cars could hit 60 in first.

Now I read " the viper looses 2/10ths to 60 because of the first/second shift" while the Z-06 can do it in one gear blah, bla.......

Maybe my Vipers speedo is off (and I may have nudged the rev. limiter just a tad with my VEC II) but I can hit 60 in first what about the rest of you??

Rich

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the electronic fuel cutoff point on the earlier cars '03(don't know about '04 and '05) was at 6,050 rpm and has been raised to 6,250 rpm at some point which should allow the car to reach 60mph in 1st gear.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guys,

Check this out. http://chuckware.net/viper/gears.asp

Make sure to enter the Gen III rear tire size in inches, 27.4 according to tire rack, a first gear ratio of 2.66 and a final drive ratio of 3.07. Speeds with the stock set up in 1st are 60 mph at 6000 rpm, 62 at 6250 and 65 at 6500.

The stock SRT-10 has taller tires than the Gen II's and will rev higher so it can make the run to 60 in first gear. I'm not sure whay car and driver can't figure this out.

Though my car is now modded, I did it almost every time I drove the car before the mods and I do it almost every time I drive the car now. My current rev limiter is set at 6400 and the car will do 6500 the way it's set up, though I try not to go there.

Dan

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan did you make any valvetrain changes to allow the higher speed?

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my 2005 Srt-10 to the rev limiter in 1st gear in order to get a 0-60 run with my Gtech Pro. It looks like it got up to 60.5 mph before it hit the rev limiter. Gtech meter says I ran 0-60 mph at 3.907 with a 2.111 60' time.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my 2005 Srt-10 to the rev limiter in 1st gear in order to get a 0-60 run with my Gtech Pro. It looks like it got up to 60.5 mph before it hit the rev limiter. Gtech meter says I ran 0-60 mph at 3.907 with a 2.111 60' time.

so she DOES hit 60 Mph in first.

kinda of subject but not really, all the new 1K bikes hit OVER 100 Mph in 1st gear thats f*ckin nuts!

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Does it strike anybody else as odd that original Viper SRT-10 road tests all documented 0-60 times of 3.9 seconds, and now all the tests against the Z06 report a 4.2 second time. I smell a rat. :mad:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does it strike anybody else as odd that original Viper SRT-10 road tests all documented 0-60 times of 3.9 seconds, and now all the tests against the Z06 report a 4.2 second time. I smell a rat. :mad:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree 110%

as a matter of fact I saw 3.7 on more then 1 of the the initial tests.

set if tires your looking at 3.5 easy IMO

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SO one of the big bragging rights was that the z could hit 60mph in first gear. Now we find that the viper can also do this. In the last few months my 04 viper has gained 11 hp and 35 in torque. Amazing :2tu: :headbang:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would someone be kind enough to answer my earlier post?

How can one raise the rev limiter on a 2003? Is there a real easy way to do it?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if it is a rev limiter or fuel cut off, to answer you question you need someone who has the ability to get into the pcm programing, i dont know if the dealer is able to "re-flash" the pcm for this change. there is also the ability to remove the skip shift, amongst other changes you can do once you have gaind this access

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the car mags also said that the new coupe needed a shift to 2nd to make 60 ?????? How can that be???
My opinion, I don't think they really know how to handle a Viper. They just don't know how to drive a car that really needs some know how. Vettes tend to be more self drivers, I know I own one, along with my SRT 10.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good questions and conclusions, all.

Cris, yes, if you check my mods, I have installed Jessel roller rockers, cnc ported heads with larger valves and bumble bee springs, B&B headers, exhaust, etc., etc. The Paxton also helps.

Atro, on the subject of increasing the rev limiter, which is a fuel cut-off, West Coast Viper has a tuning device that allows them to change the rev limiter, among other things. I suspect that other tuners and the dealers could do the same thing. Proceed with caution. The stock valve train doesn't seem to like to go above 6000 rpm. I try not to, but I can actually run to 6500 due to the higher fuel pressure of the twin supplemental fuel pumps in the Paxton kit. You guys with Paxton's know, the darn thing runs up so quickly that sometimes you just don't shift soon enough.

Yes, these magazines amaze me with their different findings / reportings with the same car. Read Road and Track's story and then read Car and Driver's. These car magazines seem to behave about like the main stream media does on many issues, i.e., they "get" the numbers that they want to get to support their stories or to sell magazines, or they just don't know how to handle or drive the Viper, as stated above.

There is no way that the times to 60 can vary that much between the coupe and the convertible, overall.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4