692.25 RWHP... What simple mods next to break 700?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

1st in all sincerity, Thanks to MikeR and ILLSMOQ. I initially thought I was 'fast' but only after meeting these guys and being 'pushed to perform' did I realize I wasnt fast enough. They pushed me to go fast, make more power, and get more mods ;-), thanks guys, it has actually increased my enjoyment with the car!!

Today, and probably only Today, I am currently documented between the three of us as having the highest RWHP. Matter of fact, when I checked the dyno runs on my WinPeP program it says I am 694.60 (SAE), but the dyno shop told me 692.25, but I didnt look at what correction they were using (and I had no need for their print out, as I just wanted the dyno files).

Now moving on to the point in this post. I know Mike and Kurtis are NOT going to let me hold the very small title... so I need to think of 'reasonable' power improvements.

The only one I will not do at this time is headers. I now have the perfect exhaust sound for me, and I dont want to mess it up. So I stick with stock headers, corsa track, NO cats and vortex cones and an additional muffler.

I have dlm tensioner (kinda flakey design), DLM intercooler (not the best thoughtout installation/mounting system from DLM), DC performance tune (new one being worked on now), Paxton (stock boost).

So the only power mods I can think of left to do, that are 'safe' or reasonable are:
Roller rockers w/ increased ratio?
X-Metal Throttle Body (because I am boosted, might help flow)
Under Drive pulley set (which I probably cant use on a paxton)
Headers (I would Like the power gain, wouldnt want the increased noise)
Anyone do a ported intake? Make any verified gains?

Not interested in going overboard, because I have a stock bottom end, so no more boost, no heads, no cam.

Thanks for the help!

Jon

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen people report a hp loss with x-metal throttle body. I think it was for non boosted cars though.

Headers are expensive when it comes to horsepower/dollar ratio and could make it too loud. And what are they gonna add 10-15 hp?

Sounds like there is only little gains left unless you start beefing up the internals.

I'm pretty sure you have the lightweight brakes do you have lightweight rims too?

What about a quaife for better traction and one less thing to break in the future? Then maybe change gears with the added traction.

PS change your avatar to your new car, its time.. :)

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the paxton has its own intake setup it completey changes the whole intake and filter from stock, the stock airbox comes out.

Also check with RTTTTed, hes got 720 rwhp in a gen 2.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I'm new here but. I've had several turbo/supercharged cars. last one was the s2000. one main gain you could have is ****/water injection. Just the fact that you have to fill it often if you in the power alot.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually Jon, will now have less power, he added vortex cones and a extra muffler. We did a friendly bet and I said I think he lost 15hp. Definatley quieted the car down. So Im assuming it lost some power too. So Jonny, your only at about 680rwhp now. lol

Good to see your car with power again. We did a friendly 3rd gear pull and though he jumped me, we were neck in neck. I need to redyno also with my new tune. I should be close to 700 rwhp now. If you have 694 but light flywheel, lighter wheels and smaller wheel diamter, better gearing, for my car to be even with you, I must have more power ;)

Its also interesting, that ILLSMOQ, you and I are all at about same power level with different mods to get there.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would upgrade the fuel system.. Probably wouldn't get any horse out of it.. But you would get rid of the crappy Paxton setup...

If you have the cash.. do heads... I have a set of stockers if you need to swap out..

Joe

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats some good power, congratulations. I have a question. Which shop in San Jose has a dynojet?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats some good power, congratulations. I have a question. Which shop in San Jose has a dynojet?

Dyno Spot Racing, off Almaden near hwy 87-San Jose
Mustang Ranch, off ElCamino, Laffayete- Santa Clara

I could name 5-6 more, but those are the tw0 we have used.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roller rockers should easily bump you over 700rwhp, some people have seen 25rwhp gains on lightly modified cars in your case it may be a lot more.

Out of curiosity how much boost are you running? A buddy of mine has a stock paxton setup and his car only makes 540rwhp on Dan's dyno with stock boost. I know you have some DLM upgrades but if you are still on stock boost thats alot of power for 7 psi.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
692rwhp with a paxton on stock boost running standard bolt ons, that is a nice gain. Usually I only see 600rwph with stock paxton on a GTS (going by your avatar) or is this a SRT?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
540 rwhp seems low. Most guys are getting about 630 rwhp stock. ILLSMOQ made about 630rwhp on Dans dyno, but they found out it was only getting 4-5lbs of boost. He had belt slip, the stock tensioner *****. He added DLM tensioner and got back anothe 30 rwhp.

My car makes 8-9 lbs at redline, it is stock kit. I assume Jons is the same. ILLSMOQ has a 10lb pulley , so he is running more boost.

But most guys with a stock Paxton 8 lb kit, DLM tensioner, exhaust without cats and a aggressive tune will get near 700 rwhp. All of these are what help make the bigger power, otherwise you will be running around with about 630 rwhp.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one have an idea of what a GTS would put out stock with stock paxton, I would assume 610 rwhp with same mods as above.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its looking like maybe roller rockers are the way to go?

I already have a quaffe, 3.20 gears, SSR Rims, B&M short throw shifter, ACT Clutch, Fidenza Alumn. Flywheel, and prob other stuff I am forgetting.

Jon

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MikeR,

I am assuming he is talking about a gen 2 because of his avatar, if not then changing the rocker arms will most likely do nothing cause the SRT ones are already 1.7 ratio.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The TBs would probably cost you more than you'd gain. Since you have a Paxton (I have a Roe) you would lose torque and throttle response at all lower rpms. Gaining a tiny bit of hp just before redline would still end up a power loss overall.

Roller Rockers/pushrods are probably the way to go for just a little bit more.

Ted

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dyno Spot Racing, off Almaden near hwy 87-San Jose
Mustang Ranch, off ElCamino, Laffayete- Santa Clara

I could name 5-6 more, but those are the tw0 we have used.

Thanks Mike. I was always curious about the Bay Area. Because there arent any good vipertechs over there.
Mike out of those shops you listed. Which one do you reccommend the most? Or I should say , trust.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the RRs, dyno to document the power, then get the X-metal TB, but make sure you can return it if you see no gain in HPs. If they are confident in their product, it will be a no brainier. :2tu:

come back here an post up the results.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont know where everyone is getting their facts about the throttlebody results in power loss. both companies Roe and X-metal claim minor increases with greater throttle response. While 0-10hp gain is crap, the increase pedal response is noticable and with the money.

In this case it is worth a shot since at a minimum it should increase peak power with the added breathing and the paxton.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please clarify if this is a Gen 2 or 3. Your avatar is a Gen 2 but your sign says Gen 2 sold and list Gen 3s.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He has a Gen 3 , hence the post in the Gen 3 forum. Look at his sig. He keeps the pic in avatar for memories i guess. haha

I have heard from a Viper tuner in L.A that roller rockers are good for about 20hp on a boosted Gen 3 car.
He could also do a pulley swap like ILLSMOQ and net another 20+ hp. But Id be worried on stock motor. Anything above 700 upwards to 750, I hear these motors will blow. We all drive these very hard, so unless you build it I wouldnt go much over 700 rwhp.

And as far as question about shops. Theres actually only one Viper tuner or shop that works on Vipers in Bay area. Its Valaya Racing. Mixed results on feedback. The shops I mentioned are who we go to simply for dyno. Anyything big I need Id make the drive down to Los Angeles and see DC Performance or A&C Performance a little further down towards San Diego.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

1st in all sincerity, Thanks to MikeR and ILLSMOQ. I initially thought I was 'fast' but only after meeting these guys and being 'pushed to perform' did I realize I wasnt fast enough. They pushed me to go fast, make more power, and get more mods ;-), thanks guys, it has actually increased my enjoyment with the car!!
Jon

you made me smile Jon ..!.. ..!..