8" speakers in a GTS? where to install?

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got tired of very weak midbass out of the polk audio db speakers, so I bought a set of 8" dayton midrange speakers. They sound fantastic even in a cardboard box. now the question is... where can I fit them? hahaha.

Definitely no room in the stock place, because they will prevent the door opening unless I do some heavy cutting. which I don't want to do.

Under the dash, there is also no room, since the driver's side has that pedal adjustment knob.

Trunk... last resort. I won't hear much over the exhaust.

Right now, it looks like I have 2 options. Right behind the seats, on the trunk divider (tight fit) OR right along the transmission tunnel. There seems to be some room there closer to the seat, where its wide, and the seating position is off-center anyway.

Has anyone here successfully installed 8" speakers in a GTS?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't be able to install them into the trim panels unless you make a custom panel. If you put it in the trunk you will have to make a custom box. And if you do that you're better off with a 10" or bigger sub.

Why do you want a 8" midrange speaker? A 6.5" will cover the mid range spectrum just as easily. What you're missing is the low end and a sub will cover that much better.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I put one 8" JL Audio sub on the pasenger side rear. It is in the space on the side and sounds great. It can produce more than you need for such a small area and I have a very loud exhaust.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have two 8" subs in the trunk powered by a JL 300/2. I get more than enough bass. My polk audio 6.5" drivers have really really crappy midbass (perhaps they're underpowered by the aftermarket headunit). I'm not looking for more bass. I just bought a 4 channel x 125rms amp, so I'll have some fantastic bass in the trunk, and really strong and loud mid-bass in the front.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
music is more important to some people than others. I still turn it off sometimes to hear the car run

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you need to have someone tune it. With any decent speaker you can properly tune it to sound great. Most speakers are capable of producing good sound it's just the EQ is not right. I've heard systems that sound awesome with cheap paper cone drivers.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there's certain things a 30 watt powered 6.5" speakers can't do that a 8" speaker powered by 110 watts can do

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for mid bass a 30W 6.5" surely can do that. If you want lower bass the 8" can do it easier. Have you ever seen a 4" subwoofer? It's possible, just depends on how much excursion you want to build into it.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm starting the fiberglass work tomorrow (tranny tunnel area). I'll let u know how it goes

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to design everything so its removable for the track. My current setup weighs 50lbs, but its mostly because of the heavy MDF. the fiberglass will be a little lighter

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still at a loss why you would have to use 8" speakers for mid bass. It seems to me there are a lot easier and more elegant solutions to what you want to achieve.

It's like killing an ant with a cannon. Personally I think it's a waste of time and energy but it's your car.....:dunno:

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the car is just too damn loud inside to hear anything unless you're using a "cannon". I decided to put 2 8" woofers and a single 8" sub right on top of the gas tank area. (at least I THINK its the gas tank =)

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's everything taped up, then covered again with a sheet of foil.

You must be registered for see images attach

I plan to cut my rear view off by about 1/2, but later add a rear backup camera with nightvision. (since I can't see anything at night anyway)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers have intrinsically horrible acoustics, and make no mistake I am not complaining about it because it is just not that important. But investing much more than a grand in a Viper stereo is like putting sugar on a **** to make it taste better.

But hey, it's your car.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about the acoustics. I'm not putting way less than a grand into it. $160 in drivers, $200 used amp, plus about $150 for raw materials