96 rear brake pad help needed !!!

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the pads off. Is there a trick to compressing the pistons? I have the tool that I used to do the pistons on my 02 GTS, can I use the same tool?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely positively use a tool (honestly don't know if the '02 spacing is the same, but hope so!) and turn the piston. It should screw itself in. If not, push and turn and feel free to push hard. Do not use a hammer or c-clamp. It it won't go, something else is wrong.

Examples of using hammer:
You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The tool for turning the pistons on the rear brakes of 2001-2002 is NOT the same as that used on 1992-2000 Vipers....AND, there is a marked difference in the size and space between the "tips" of the two spanners...with the pre ABS cars having a smaller and closer spaced set of "tips".

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From one of Tom's ( Tom, F&L GoR ) EXCELLENT posts on brakes where he mentioned making a rear brake "tool" for non-ABS cars by grinding down a socket:

"If you want to make a tool, the two holes are about 4mm diameter and 20mm apart. (nerd engineer remembers odd facts) Make the pins undersize, since the pistons aren't all exactly the same. "

as found in this old thread:

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...true#Post321295

AND, from 1Tony1...a photo of the tool he made:

"That tool won't fit, you can buy it at any parts store. I made mine out of a socket....17mm. "

--------------------

...as found in this old thread

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...true#Post565724

HOPE THAT THIS HELPS !!!!