97 Dodge Viper GTS $27k obo

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you will be able to get 27k or 26k. I think 24k or 25k might be your maximum.

I think if the damage had not resulted in a totaled title then he would definitely be able to get that with the current fit and finish, but what buyer would pay that money if they just have to pony up a few extra grand and get a cleaner, newer viper with a clean title. That is now a 20-22K car with the tile problem and current condition IMO, I dont think bringing it back to perfect condition will result in the seller profiting anymore also. I would cut my loses and move on. Its a hard pill to swallow but you cannot change the reality of it :(

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if the damage had not resulted in a totaled title then he would definitely be able to get that with the current fit and finish, but what buyer would pay that money if they just have to pony up a few extra grand and get a cleaner, newer viper with a clean title. That is now a 20-22K car with the tile problem and current condition IMO, I dont think bringing it back to perfect condition will result in the seller profiting anymore also. I would cut my loses and move on. Its a hard pill to swallow but you cannot change the reality of it :(

You're right, but it depends on the buyer. If there is someone local especially who would save on having to get it shipped, they might be willing to pay. Depends on how much the damages would cost to be fixed too. I personally would never buy any car that wasn't in excellent or very good condition, especially if you're buying a car more then 10-12 years old. Realistically, anyone on this forum would most likely only pay 18k-20k if the damages were steep to be fixed, but as others have mentioned throwing it on eBay will allow you to possibly get slightly more than anyone through the VCA. I would say out of all fairness 22k seems reasonable. Now that I think of it, I retract my previous statement I made of you getting profit after fixing the damages. Value wise nothing will change I would imagine. As Johnny said, cut your losses and try selling the car for 20-22k. List it at 23-24k in hopes of getting that or possible slightly less. As long as you can get cash for this, you could always take out a loan through PenFed at a ridiculously low interest rate and use that to pay for the rest of a newer 03 srt10 convertible.

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry but a clean 97 GTS with 20k does not go for $30k. I have been looking at vipers for the past 6 months and the cheapest one I have come across other than the one I own was one in the east coast with 79k miles for $29k. I search cars.com, craigslist, autotrader, and the classifieds here almost daily.

I have $26k into mine without the tune up, I am not going to let it go for 22k, but I will work on the 26.

I have the cheapest GTS in the country by almost 8k

I wish you luck on selling your Viper, but I would hate to see you not be able to sell it because you believe it's worth a dollar amount that is high, at least that is the concensus on here. I agree with others on going the ebay route, most on here will pay a few grand more to get a car with no stories. As an examples, here's one out by me that's a nice car, he's been trying to sell it for a couple of months, but no takers. Quite frankly looks like a bargain compared to your current asking price. 1999 Dodge Viper GTS . Try to get $22K +/- and it should move, somebody from the Mustang world will be able to get that Viper they have always wanted. GLWS

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there are some deals out there too, but the 99 has 68k miles on it, that's almost 30k more than mine. Also I am only 19, and I have never taken out a loan in my life and do not plan to. I payed for this viper cash in hand, I own my own business for the past year, and don't plan on taking out a loan ever. I have also never received any help from anyone, especially my parents as they have and still are against my cars and my work.

And I will only consider going as low as 22k after I enjoy it for the whole summer and make a couple thousand more miles on it.

I also have all the service records, receipts, and all paper work since new from the previous owners.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad to see you're able to take the hard truth, I would do a "buy it now option" on ebay at 22k and list it on the classifies here for 22k and wait for someone to buy it. It will make a great track car for someone and should move at that price

Well there are some deals out there too, but the 99 has 68k miles on it, that's almost 30k more than mine. Also I am only 19, and I have never taken out a loan in my life and do not plan to. I payed for this viper cash in hand, I own my own business for the past year, and don't plan on taking out a loan ever. I have also never received any help from anyone, especially my parents as they have and still are against my cars and my work.

And I will only consider going as low as 22k after I enjoy it for the whole summer and make a couple thousand more miles on it.

I also have all the service records, receipts, and all paper work since new from the previous owners.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad to see you're able to take the hard truth, I would do a "buy it now option" on ebay at 22k and list it on the classifies here for 22k and wait for someone to buy it. It will make a great track car for someone and should move at that price

Agreed. Sounds like a very good idea to me.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is to replace the front fascia you are looking at $3,000-$3,500 and then probably $500-$700 for an airbag, and even then the car will still have a salvaged title. Personally I would take a car with 100,000 miles on it and not service records over a car with a salvaged title and I think the majority of people would agree with that. Odds are the person who is going to buy this Viper is either looking for a track car or someone that this is the only way they can afford one. In this market I would say this Viper is worth tops of $24k, but $20-$22k is more likely.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears to have the passenger airbag, but it had a aftermarket steering wheel when I bought it, I have since then purchased a factory wheel, and looking for an airbag

It appears to have? If one blew they likely both did. Air bags,(have to assume both if you cannot guarantee the passenger is there) controller for the bags, and having the dealer re-set everything (computer) could cost well over a thousand. Anywhere this car gets tagged it will need this done.

Does the A/C work? Often with a front end hit, the Air cond system is damaged.

Also with a rebuilt/salvage title most insurance companies will not touch it.

$20,000 is the right number.

Remember, it is always worth more in pieces. You could start parting it out. You will wait longer for your money but you will make much more.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me, this one looks like alot of car for the money, even with the repair issue. It would be an especially nice "driver" for the guy who could care less about collecting it and/or flipping it for profit.

GenII (especially GTS) prices are on the rebound so if you hold out a little longer, you should get what you want for it. Good luck with the sale. :2tu:

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be glad to meet up with a IL VCA member have him test drive the car, inspect it, and then let you know all about it. If there's anyone that wants to do this let me know, I will be glad to drive to you

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say DO NOT replace the bumper with OEM expecting it to increase resale value. It won't. take the car to a body shop and see if they can adjust the hood to get it to line up better for cosmetic purpose. For someone like me looking for a cheap GTS for racing, slight body damage is not much of an issue. Its easy to find aftermarket racing style facia and hoods for a lot less cash compared to oem and it can be worth saving the money getting a car with less than perfect panels so you can spend the savings on racing gear.

My ideal viper would be a 97+ red GTS with no front facia, hood, or side sills as I plan to switch to aftermarket parts and I hate the idea of taking off perfectly good parts. No amount of spending on your part will increase the value of a rebuilt title over 26k. I have been interested in several GTSs with rebuilt titles under 26K over the past two years but another one always comes along with a little something different to offer.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I might be interested the end of this summer if you still have it then.

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interior finished:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you start the car, is the airbag light lit?

Yes, the bags are not connected, need to be reset to work from what I've been told? Eitherway I don't have the equipment to do it, and cheapest quote I got was $500 to do it. So the next buyer can figure it out, I've got over 26 into the car, I can't lose that much especially that I'm probably going to end up letting the car go for less than 25

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the bags are not connected, need to be reset to work from what I've been told? Eitherway I don't have the equipment to do it, and cheapest quote I got was $500 to do it. So the next buyer can figure it out, I've got over 26 into the car, I can't lose that much especially that I'm probably going to end up letting the car go for less than 25

It would probably be a bad idea for you to buy a newer SRT. You will likely not "make" money on those either.

If you have 26 into it and can do a buy-it-now-for 22 but are wringing your hands over potentially losing $4K on a challenged car in a challenged market, that you've driven for a while..... you're not being practical about depreciation and economic devaluation.

Not meant as an attack, just a POV to perhaps help you come to terms with the notion that unless you're dealing in very expensive ($500K+) or very rare (Bugatti) cars, they're going to represent a net investment over time.

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold it this morning :) but for alot less than $25k :/

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I was going to buy a c5 vette to drive for now, but I think I am just going to buy an older rt/10, so if anyone has one for under $19k let me know, miles don't matter in fact I prefer mileage of 50k+

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rt/10 for under $19K??? I am getting ready to sell mine...but not for such a ridiculously low price.. it has 56K miles, 3 owners... no title issues.... good luck with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper