'99 exhaust mod recommendations

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'99 exhaust mod recommendations

This is for a bone stock '99.

I'm going to do a Gen I sidesill conversion, so the '99 will have sidepipes. As such, that eliminates a lot of plumbing.

I also plan to delete the cats, but I want to keep mufflers of some sort, because I don't want an obnoxiously loud car, especially with sidepipes.

Ideally, the car would be (relatively) quiet at cruising speed, have a moderate rumble during normal acceleration, and a serious growl with spirited acceleration.

So, from headers to mufflers to crosspipes to ?, which setup will yield the most HP while achieving the desired effects?

I am concerned about the exhaust note, but mostly after the HP gain. My HP/sound 'care ratio' is about 80/20.

Thanks!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'99 exhaust mod recommendations

Forget the side pipes.They make less HP and sound crappy.Get headers,HF cats or no cats and syms and a cat back. Bruce

OP
OP
W

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Forget the side pipes.They make less HP and sound crappy.

Really? I was under the impression that a shorter pipe after the header resulted in more HP, as the exhaust doesn't have to travel as far before being expelled. Can you explain why sidepipes would produce less HP?

Thanks.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With either system, BACKPRESSURE is the key with exhaust in making or taking horsepower.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A rear exhaust will sound better and make more HP.Why?Side exhaust you hear one bank of 5 cylinders of an uneven firing engine.There are no practical side pipe cross overs on gen 1-2 cars.Five uneven cylinders firing sounds crappy.Second.You can run straight pipes off the headers,No cats,only resonators or nothing at all on a rear exit system.With a cross over between the sides the sound will be good and LOUD (but behind you) with no restrictions.You will not be able to stand straight through exhaust without restrictions exiting under your ear unless you are deaf of plan on driving around with ear plugs.Once in a while I get a wiff of the catless rear exit exhaust.Makes me glad it not right under my window.Check out the sounds of some cars at a meet before you decide. Bruce

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same car that I have and here's what I did....Corsa 3" system, Random Tech hi-flo cats. Sounds great at idle (lumpy cam), sounds good at normal acceleration, and when you nail it, sounds like a ballistic missle. Lots and lots of compliments...highly recommend it. I had a '95 with Borla mufflers and it was loud and OK, but it was tough on long trips...your ears almost went numb!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang