A/C Modification

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried plugging or partially plugging the external air inlet for the A/C?

I am hoping this will do 2 things for me: 1) Improve the cooling of the A/C since it is always using just recirculated air, 2) Reduce the amount of polution I have to breath...

It's a 100 degrees this week and I need all the A/C I can get. Not to mention all the stinky cars and trucks around here...

I am hoping the recirculation air inlet is big enough to compensate for the external being closed off. I can feel a pretty good suction on the external inlet.

ViperDoctor

2001 Yellow GTS

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't plug that hole. If you look directly at the hole, that is the only source of air that it draws for the fan. You would have to route that inlet to inside the car. You dont think you have any options at this point to do that with a gen 1?

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I did some tests and you can plug the hole. I'm new to Vipers, so I don't know if the 2001 is a Gen 1?

The flow of air is slightly reduced from the vents.

The setting with the arrow going into the car and inside the car pull both outside and inside air.

In the end, I took a piece of cardboard and cut it into a circle the size of the opening. Then I cut a quarter size hole in the middle and taped it to the underside of the hood.

Now I get mostly recirculated air. I just tried it for half and hour and it seemed fine in driving and sitting idling.

ViperDoctor

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right. I forgot you have a gen 2 which uses both. When you turn the air control to the little sun looking dial that is recirculating air but I guess you dont want any air from the outside to come in. There is a dial for that also. Dont know why it would use both recirculating air and outside air at the same time though? Good question for a technician.

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne, the manual shows the snowflake as pure outside air. The other, more difficult to describe, knob uses both outside and inside air. I observed this in action during my tests today.

Vic, it's clear that you don't want pure recirculated air, but I think the Viper is pulling too much outside air for comfort...That's why my test setup has a hole in the cover to allow some air from the inside.

ViperDoctor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang