A choice between two 97 dodge vipers, which do you think is a better pick?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had a choice between a:

1997 1 of 7 gold package red viper GTS with 15k miles (headers and exhaust, stock gold wheels still on original tires, so will need new tires...possibly new rims just so I could save the original wheels/tires)

or

1997 red viper GTS with 25k miles (headers and exhaust and HRE wheels with new tires)

Which do you think would be the car to go for if they were priced very similar?

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not enough info for me

I care more about condition than mileage so I'd have to check both out.

Looks wise I'd go with the second. HREs sound much more attractive to me than gold wheels

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both red? I'd pass on both. :smirk:

But seriously...I'd go with the lower miles. Especially if you're thinking of new tires/wheels anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both look very well taken care of, paint looks flawless on both, interiors look new, I would say the condition between the two is very comparable, excellent for both

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17" Gold wheels are Lame/Wack IMO
Partly cause i dont like wimpy 17" wheels on a Beast-like car like the Viper. Partly cause i dont like the color gold

Viper Headers & Exhaust are EXPENSIVE
Viper HRE wheels are EXPENSIVE

If you like the sound of the exhaust and look of the wheels Go for it as that will save you about 7or8 grand down the road.(Im assuming both cars are similarly priced)

What size & model are the HRE's?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't like the gold rims. Tough choice... Dig deeper like # of owners and service history and what not. I like the gold wheels and the 15k miles. You can add wheels and tires and keep the original wheels in storage for resale. You can't take 10k miles off of the other car.

You must be registered for see images attach

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd vote for the higher miles with the options you want.....assuming you would do the exhaust and wheel upgrades. I too am not a fan of the gold wheels.....and what's 10K miles if you're gonna drive it? You'l get to 35,000 soon enough with either one!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe decision is all yours, but the 1 of 7 cars a very rare and no other Viper had the gold wheels. From an investment category i would go with the Gold Wheel car, but in then end you have to make the decision.

Bruce

chenner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the gold rims but I like the lower mileage on the first one. If you're going to buy new rims/tires anyway I'd go with the lower mileage one.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are priced similarly, the gold wheels would go (well be stored), I probably would look for a set of 18 stockers or some ccw sp600s later on down the line. Both of the cars have headers and exhaust.

The HRE wheels on the other viper are classic 5 split spoke design, 18s all around, polished with new michelin tires.

The reason the 15k mile viper has my attention is because it's such a rare car, only 1 of 7 but honestly I don't think I will hold onto it for long enough to where it really will become that valuable but I don't know? I bought a Gen 3 viper originally, decided I actually wanted a Gen 2 GTS.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both cars have exhaust so I would go with the lower mileage as long as condition is equal. The gold wheel 1of 7 doesn't matter in real world value much, just matters to someone who cares. Gold wheels = good looking, not so much.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 years from now that 1 of 7 gold wheel thing will make you look like a genius. Next week's cruise night the jury will still be out... My car is a 1 of 267 silver car that I added stripes to and sometimes I look back and think that maybe I should have sought after something more limited edition like an original silver blue 1 of 26 car. Sometimes I look ahead and think maybe I will get something a little more rare.

There are 300 million something people in the US so a 1 of 7 anything is pretty cool. Take the gold wheel car with the lower miles and swap the wheels out and add some silver vinyl stripes and enjoy the car for 10 years then put it back to stock an laugh all the way to the bank. If you watch the auctions you know what something that is 1 of 7 does for the value even if it's a quirky thing.

Last edited:

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 years from now that 1 of 7 gold wheel thing will make you look like a genius. Next week's cruise night the jury will still be out... My car is a 1 of 267 silver car that I added stripes to and sometimes I look back and think that maybe I should have sought after something more limited edition like an original silver blue 1 of 26 car. Sometimes I look ahead and think maybe I will get something a little more rare.

There are 300 million something people in the US so a 1 of 7 anything is pretty cool. Take the gold wheel car with the lower miles and swap the wheels out and add some silver vinyl stripes and enjoy the car for 10 years then put it back to stock an laugh all the way to the bank. If you watch the auctions you know what something that is 1 of 7 does for the value even if it's a quirky thing.

+1 Go with the exclusive car and keep all original parts

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't stand the look of the gold rims and gold trim.......but I agree with some others that you should buy it, get different rims and tires and put the original stuff up till you sell it to someone else........but if you could drive each one first and compare the difference if any in performance and handling and for sure the gen 2 Vipers are natorious for having terrible air conditioners and problems blowing cold air......the one with the cold A/C would be a factor to me plus the all out feel when driving each one.....the mechanics.,....interior, carpet.....etc......lower mileage is good but to me not always the reason I would buy one over the other.......curb rash on the gold rims??? pull a few plugs and look at them for signs of water in oil, read the plug condition wet, oily, carbon, white , brown, black....just look for signs of not being taken care of inside and out. 99% of all Viper owners take excellent care of their Viper and this is not a big deal but still I would check for differences between the two....trans jump out of gear, stuff like that....clutch condition...feel...wear....spongy, soft........just some sugestions to think about.......who am I...?????my 2 cents.....:rolleyes: :dunno: :eater: :drive: :drive:

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say buy the one with HREs. If thy are not what you want, you can always sell and get something else and not lose much.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more.
Ugly clashing wheels are hideous now and will be hideous ten years from now.
After all, look at the clamor and demand for the ghastly yellow wheels on the MacViper....zero...

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not everything rare is desirable..... after 15 years most people hate the gold wheels, I don't think 10 more years is going to change most folk's perception.

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for a Viper, I told my wife, "not red and has to have stripes". As I searched, I kept coming back to one of the gold wheel cars, which I eventually purchased. Everyone will have their own reasons for why they bought what they did. My thing was to not have a car that you see all the time (a major reason that I didn't buy a Vette or Camaro). I don't see a lot of Vipers in my area, but there is one 1/2 mile from me. I was pretty sure there wouldn't be another gold wheel Viper in my area though.

I wouldn't buy it for an investment as others have said. Make your choice based on what you feel a connection to. I'd also recommend listening to sound from the car. I've heard some Vipers that have a tin can sound when they reve the engine. That, to me, is more of a turnoff than anything else.

herbbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea I think the gold wheels is the way to go. Wheels are only cosmetic. Since there are so few I would opt for that and get different wheels if wanted. Vipers are not a mass produced cars and not common, having one that is a "one of" is pretty special.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe decision is all yours, but the 1 of 7 cars a very rare and no other Viper had the gold wheels. From an investment category i would go with the Gold Wheel car, but in then end you have to make the decision.

Bruce

12 or 13 years ago I had a shot at a Red & Gold RT10!!!! Talk about rare, spoke with the guy across the country and made arrangements to fly there, when I called him back it was sold #%$&*$#, I ended up buying a brand new 2000 RT10 instead.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ended up getting the HRE car, the deal was just too good to pass up, if anyone wants the gold package car, it's on cars.com and the owner is very helpful.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ended up getting the HRE car, the deal was just too good to pass up, if anyone wants the gold package car, it's on cars.com and the owner is very helpful.

I've been looking at that car. What price were your discussing with him? Do you know his bottom line price?

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So where are the pictures of the new car? I would like to see it with the HRE's.

Congratulations on the successful purchase!

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where are the pictures of the new car? I would like to see it with the HRE's.

Congratulations on the successful purchase!

We are flying out Friday to Texas to pickup the car. I will be bringing my camera and hopefully we can find some nice backdrops for some pictures. I hope this doesn't want to make me sell my '06 coupe for a GTS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth