A few thoughts on Vipers

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started thinking the other day about how many GREAT things this country made at one time or another.
Some things were simple, some complex. A few examples came to mind...

Here's an odd ball, but interesting.....VACUUM TUBES....They ran old radios, TV's, guitar amplifiers, ect. The QUALITY of the tubes made in AMERICA during the 40's thru the 60's CAN NOT be dulpicated today!!! That amazes me.....With all our technology NO ONE can make a vacuum tube with the same quailty as the originals. The orignals were HAND MADE in the USA. They now command astronomical prices because of this quality.

Guitars....Old Gibsons and Fenders from the 1950's NOW cost what most people pay for their homes. These guitars were HAND MADE in the USA and everything from the metal alloys to the Honduros mahogany was hand picked for these guitars. Again...these instruments CAN NOT be duplicated today at ANY cost.

Machine tools.....I was in a machine shop the other day that was LOADED with vintage machinery....The owner said NOTHING being built today works as well on certain tasks as these original HAND BUILT in the USA pieces. He said taking them apart for maintainance was incredible. The sheer QUALITY of each and evry piece in that machine was unparalled.

I see Vintage Outboard motors made by Johnson and Evinrude selling for BIG BUCKS because these engines literally run FOREVER....Another item HAND MADE in the USA and built with hand picked top shelve components.

Then we come to another completely hand built item built in the USA by people HAND PICKED to do their jobs...

That item is the VIPER.....Bullet proof reliabilty. Cars like Porsches that cost tens of thousands more have countless re-occuring problems (I've owned 15 so I know) My Vipers have ALWAYS run...With BASIC hand tools I can maintain them, and they are BUILT TO LAST!!! The last 911 I had ate it's engine with just 10,000 easy miles on it. That was it for me. At one time Porsches were built like tanks...Now there built to a price point.

So now we have.....A BEAUTIFUL, Hand made, AMERICA product, that is probably going the way of the Vacuum tube.

I'll tell you one thing, and it's just my opinion.......At some point in time these cars are going to be seen for what they REALLY are...

JEWELS......Finely crafted, expertly assembled, near bullet proof, JEWELS!!! And at that point in time....The days of the $20K RT/10 Viper will be GONE forever!!!

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started thinking the other day about how many GREAT things this country made at one time or another.
Some things were simple, some complex. A few examples came to mind...

Here's an odd ball, but interesting.....VACUUM TUBES....They ran old radios, TV's, guitar amplifiers, ect. The QUALITY of the tubes made in AMERICA during the 40's thru the 60's CAN NOT be dulpicated today!!! That amazes me.....With all our technology NO ONE can make a vacuum tube with the same quailty as the originals. The orignals were HAND MADE in the USA. They now command astronomical prices because of this quality.

Guitars....Old Gibsons and Fenders from the 1950's NOW cost what most people pay for their homes. These guitars were HAND MADE in the USA and everything from the metal alloys to the Honduros mahogany was hand picked for these guitars. Again...these instruments CAN NOT be duplicated today at ANY cost.

Machine tools.....I was in a machine shop the other day that was LOADED with vintage machinery....The owner said NOTHING being built today works as well on certain tasks as these original HAND BUILT in the USA pieces. He said taking them apart for maintainance was incredible. The sheer QUALITY of each and evry piece in that machine was unparalled.

I see Vintage Outboard motors made by Johnson and Evinrude selling for BIG BUCKS because these engines literally run FOREVER....Another item HAND MADE in the USA and built with hand picked top shelve components.

Then we come to another completely hand built item built in the USA by people HAND PICKED to do their jobs...

That item is the VIPER.....Bullit proof reliabilty. Cars like Porsches that cost tens of thousands more have countless re-occuring problems (I've owned 15 so I know) My Vipers have ALWAYS run...With BASIC hand tools I can maintain them, and they are BUILT TO LAST!!! The last 911 I had ate it's engine with just 10,000 easy miles on it. That was it for me. At one time Porsches were built like tanks...Now there built to a price point.

So now we have.....A BEATIFUL, Hand made in AMERICA product, that is probably going the way of the Vacuum tube.

I'll tell you one thing and it's just my opinion.......At some point in time these cars are going to be seen for what they REALLY are...

JEWELS......Finely crafted, expertly assembled, bullit proof, JEWELS!!! And at that point in time....The days of the $20K RT/10 Viper will be GONE forever!!!
probably have to wait another 5-10 years to see that

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a matter of how much time is involved. It could take 20 years. It an observation of how little VALUE people assign to very special things at a time when they are AVAILABLE....It's only when the source of that supply is cut off that the true QUALITY behind these products comes to life.

I can see a time in the future when those HAND WELDED Gen 1 A Arms are looked at as pieces of incredible quality. Something that took TIME to create, and made by a person with SKILL.

This occurs over and over throughout history. Shelby couldn't sell Cobras because people wanted roll up windows. They disliked the aluminium bodies because repairs were a pain in the ass. Now those hand hammered alloy bodies are looked at as pieces of sculpture. The original wooden steering wheels in those cars cost THOUSANDS If you can find one.

This occurs over and over because PEOPLE never change. When they can GET IT, they don't want it....When they CAN'T get it.....THEN they want it!!!

Just an observation.

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what else have we lost?? ... The skills necessary to remain productive on a global scale.