A Prospective Convert

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a 2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350, and I am considering the Viper as my next 2-seater replacement. I would like to know the following:

1. Is the Viper an easy car to drive on a daily basis compared to most cars?
2. I have never driven stick before and I am planning to learn to drive stick with the Viper. Could anyone please enlighten me with the possible problems if I were to learn to drive stick with the Viper?
3. What is the maintenance cost of the Viper?
4. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where traffic jam is constant and hills are everywhere. Given that I am used to driving automatic in this city, is it a good idea to learn to drive stick at all?

Thanks.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a 2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350, and I am considering the Viper as my next 2-seater replacement. I would like to know the following:

1. Is the Viper an easy car to drive on a daily basis compared to most cars? NO.
2. I have never driven stick before and I am planning to learn to drive stick with the Viper. Could anyone please enlighten me with the possible problems if I were to learn to drive stick with the Viper? YOU NEED TOLEARN ON A FAR LESS POWERFUL CAR SO IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE YOU DO NOT HURT YOURSELF, OTHERS AND/OR THE CAR.
3. What is the maintenance cost of the Viper? DEPENDS ON THE VIPER AND HOW IT IS DRIVEN BUT I SUSPECT IT WOULD BE LESS THAN YOUR MERCEDES.
4. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where traffic jam is constant and hills are everywhere. Given that I am used to driving automatic in this city, is it a good idea to learn to drive stick at all? IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO INCREASE YOUR DRIVING SKILL SET BUT IT MAKES NO SENSE TO DRIVE A STICK ON HILLS AND IN TRAFFIC JAMS. WITH THAT SAID, YOU CAN SHIP A VIPER TO MARK JORGENSEN AT WOODHOUSE AND HE CAN PUT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IN FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE THE FUNDS AND WISH TO SPEND THE MONEY. MARK HAS DONE SAME FOR OTHERS.

Thanks.

See answers above.

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to joining the ranks of Viper owners. Appreciate the opinions thus far. Thanks.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with bluesrt and patentlaw. What you described doesn't sound like a Viper is currently the car for you. Learning to drive a stick on a Viper in heavy traffic and hilly area like SF sounds incredibly dangerous. Would you consider a Corvette? They are more daily driver friendly, they come in automatics, and maintenance should be cheaper since they make a ton more Vettes than Vipers meaning parts are more readily available.

When your circumstances change (you can drive a stick, have a daily driver, etc), BUY A VIPER! If you have a Vette between now and then, you'll forget the Vette the day you take delivery of the Viper and never look back! Good luck!

V

Venomiss

You should post this in the new owners section at the top.

Try here and see about Vipers by asking to attend a meeting, meet some owners, see the cars and then decide for yourself.

Northern California VCA

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of good advise given here. I love driving my viper and could easily drive mine as a DD where I live but the enviroment you described above and from what I have seen of the hills in SF I can honestly say I would hate driving my viper in that setting. But man do you live in a beautiful city. I say get a 650CI Conv. Absolutely the best driving car Ive ever owned and would fit your city perfect:2tu:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 40 miles south of SF. I go to SF allot though.

How much time are you actually gonna spend driving in the city?

Sometimes, driving in SF i have thought about how bad an experience driving my viper or any aggresive sports car would be.

The irregular warped roads, potholes, hills, short blocks lengths, narrow lanes, tight spaced vehicles, stop and go situations especially with a clutch... not fun.

Even before getting a Viper, ask yourself if you really think your are a Viper kinda guy as follows...

Do you enjoy a high visibility car that is louder, bumpier, allot hotter (unless you chage the exhaust system) with fighter pilot like seats, a big fat front end and a clutch.

To truly enjoy a viper, and have it give you back what it cost you must be realistic about all the above conditions.

My Viper is weekend only and mainly because it is a Viper.

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thanks to everyone for your advice. I have emailed Mark Jorgensen of Woodhouse on converting a stick Viper to automatic, and have even located a few Vipers for sale near Omaha, NE. My SLK costs $500 to $1,000 for the annual oil change. If the Viper's maintenance costs less, it is a no-brainer. I only need a 2-seater, and I have checked out the insurance. The next big step is to clear out my warehouse of a garage, because there is no way I will let the Viper stay on the driveway like my SLK does.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has a longer front end than your benz and may scrape more in such a hilly location :dunno:

After you factor in the auto conversion?? and consider that in your maintenance costs divided by xx years, are you sure you are ahead. Good luck in your decision.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A stick is better. You need to install a skip shift eliminator (Mark will do that cheap). Viper maintenance is Dodge maintenance in that every 30-40,000miles you should change the spark plug and wires. Change oil $100(?) every 7500mi. As you said, "No brainer"

I would daily drive my viper, but I only use it on long trips. Viper is supersafe as it stops on a dime and handles about the best in the world. I get 20mpg and Gen 4s get 22mpg. If I'm not driving my Viper, I'm not having fun.

As far as automatic, TC, ESC, etc goes - you need to improve your driving skills or the Viper will get you crashed. Drving standard is easy, Getting the perfect line around a corner takes a little bit of skill. So figure some track time to learn with an instructor.

If you're not willing to learn to become an excellent driver - buy a vette. They're cheap and nearly as fast as the stock vipers.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thanks to everyone for your advice. I have emailed Mark Jorgensen of Woodhouse on converting a stick Viper to automatic, and have even located a few Vipers for sale near Omaha, NE. My SLK costs $500 to $1,000 for the annual oil change. If the Viper's maintenance costs less, it is a no-brainer. I only need a 2-seater, and I have checked out the insurance. The next big step is to clear out my warehouse of a garage, because there is no way I will let the Viper stay on the driveway like my SLK does.

Maintenance Costs... nobody buys a Viper with that in mind. you will burn it all up in fuel use anyway. SF, for sure 8-10 mpg.

With Viper, either love it or hate it.

Well if you liked your SLK, dont buy a Viper.

2 Best day of boat owners life are day of purchase and day of sale. LOL

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oahu has hilly very bad roads and it';s easy even in a lowered srt10..The gen2 gts and rt10 on the other hand are much harder..my 99 rt10 was stock ride height and I scratched the front all the time..My stock height srt10 NEVER scratched..even lowered and inch ive scratched 2-3 times in the past 6 months..
still dosent sound like the car for you but the gen3 verts can be DD'd

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to make your own decision on this one. Go to woodhouse or a closer Viper dealer and test drive one for 15 or 20 miles as the Viper is going to be quite a bit different then what your driving now.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting questions and answers. I (obviously) own and drive my Viper in and around NYC. There's no need for a DD here, with all the public transpiration. However, I drive in SERIOUS traffic, among potholes and ridiculous road maintenance and conditions. There aren't too many natural hills (but you'd be surprised at how many there are in Manhattan), but there are plenty of bridge and tunnel ramps that can be quite tricky.

If you're proficient at driving a stick, you'll have no problem. It can be a bit annoying at times, but no more annoying to driving than any other standard tranny car (aside from the additional interest in going fast in a Viper). As far as a DD, you'd be taking the same roadways most days and you'd learn most every place to avoid in a few weeks. On some roads that I've driven hundreds if not thousands of times, I know every single road obstacle that I will encounter. Actually fun sometimes when some aggressive driver on my tail doesn't realize that my quick shift to the right side of the lane is not my allowing him to pass, but my move to avoid a major sewer "dip" in the road ... hard not to grin when I hear the resounding crunch as parts of his facia/spoiler part from his car.

Anyway, as others have already mentioned, if you've never driven a standard tranny, you'll find the Viper to be rather intimidating and unforgiving (not to mention you'll look like a tool reving to 5G's trying to work you clutch up a hill). You'll soon learn that your handbrake to be your best friend. I guess you can splurge for an auto tranny ... but seriously, (unless you're 1/4 mileing) a Viper is not a Viper IMO with an automatic transmission (obvious exception made for those with disabilities). Either learn to drive a Viper, or get a Vette.

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are great, the kindness and spirit of comradery exhibited here gives me more reason to continue my pursuit of a Viper ownership experience.

"Do you enjoy a high visibility car that is louder, bumpier, allot hotter (unless you chage the exhaust system) with fighter pilot like seats, a big fat front end and a clutch." -Dipapa

Answer: My previous SLK230 Kompressor was bumpier than the SLK350, and I rode in my brother's 2000 Porsche Carrera once, and I got used to the bumpiness. However, I was looking for a sedan because my wife and I are having difficulty getting out of my other car, a 1996 Mits 3000GT automatic. Not the SLK, though. Then we realize we don't want sedans after all. A 2-seater with good trunk space is what we are looking for. An SL is too tame and senior-like, a Corvette is too ubiquitous here in the Bay Area. I test drove a 2007 Shelby GT500 recently, and the stick was not too hard to learn; but it was non-commute hours and a long stretch of freeway. About the louder aspect of the Viper, I am aware of that, but I have to find out if it is louder than the Shelby GT inside.

"After you factor in the auto conversion?? and consider that in your maintenance costs divided by xx years, are you sure you are ahead. Good luck in your decision." -HyperViper

Answer: Fuel consumption is fine by me. I drive my SLK fairly mild-mannered, using it to pass slow fast-lane drivers occasionally. I don't tailgate, and I always let others go first at stoplight. If the Viper's maintenance is close to what RTTTTed described, then I'll be fine.

"As far as automatic, TC, ESC, etc goes - you need to improve your driving skills or the Viper will get you crashed. Drving standard is easy, Getting the perfect line around a corner takes a little bit of skill. So figure some track time to learn with an instructor." -RTTTTed

Answer: I always avoid quick turns around corners. I'd be one of the slowest Viper drivers around, too. I want the Viper for its potentials and visual statement. There is nothing like feeling the seemingly unlimited horsepower of the car you are driving. My SLK gives me some of that. That said, I always learn about the personality of a car and adapt to it quite quickly.

"..my 99 rt10 was stock ride height and I scratched the front all the time..My stock height srt10 NEVER scratched..even lowered and inch ive scratched 2-3 times in the past 6 months.." -Twister

Answer: I must have the SRT-10, then. Thank you for the insight.

"Go to woodhouse or a closer Viper dealer and test drive one for 15 or 20 miles as the Viper is going to be quite a bit different then what your driving now." rudedawg

Answer: I did an inventory search on the Dodge website and found only one dealer in the whole Bay Area carrying a Viper, and he is 40 miles from me. Will try to check it out in a weekend.

Thanks to all again!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all good answers

before you go to any dealer, make sure they will let you test drive or you may be making the trip just to look

the viper is 1 of the easiest sticks to learn how to drive, i hate it for prolonged stop and go traffic (gen 2 clutch heavy)

also, test getting in and out if this is an issue

if it is an option, own 1 at least once in your life, imo

pls keep us informed what you decide

:drive:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think you need to learn how to drive a stick in something else and not on a viper,this is basic common sense. try like a small economy car,rent a stick shift for the weekend and have someone help you learn it. do it for 4 or five weekends...then go testdrive a viper..

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the parameters you set. I have to agree with some of the other guys, the Viper is probably not the ideal car for your circumstances.

Honestly, I would recommend a smaller car (not a Corvette), with a stick, so you can learn proper technique and timing on a car that is more forgiving and cheeper to rapair if you do have an incident on one of those S.F. hills. I recommend a Miata, besides they are a blast, I race one in SCCA.

BTW, no shame in a "starter car". My father bought a Triumph TR7 to "re-learn & practice" on before he bought his Ferrari.

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Jorgensen replied to my inquiry early this morning with some pictures and the following excerpt:

"We have done this conversion and although expensive and time consuming it works extremely well and has proven very reliable. We used a 2 spd. Powerglide with a Gear vendors over drive unit so you get 4 gears. We did a custom stall converter and changed the rear gear to match. It had electro pneumatic shifting that is instantaneous with the converter we chose and is probably one of the most fun Vipers I have driven."

I am waiting for the cost estimate. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks.:2tu:

Attachments

• Abelfinished 009.jpg
    Abelfinished 009.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 30
  • 2007_05300002.jpg
    2007_05300002.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2007_06180004.jpg
    2007_06180004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0709050006.jpg
    0709050006.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0709050014.jpg
    0709050014.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 19

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want an automatic (being not disabled) buy a Vette. Nuff said?

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
You will take fun out of the viper if you change it to automatic, especially when you are well capable of shifting. As many have suggested, rent a stick shift and learn on it. Do it a few more times till you get comfortable using the clutch and know when to shift. Once that is done, go to a viper meet and get a ride in one to have an idea of its power.

And then, JUST DO IT. Take your time taming the power and enroll into Viper Days [or similar]. You will not be sorry.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Manual transmission is half the fun of a Viper. I would never get it changed to auto unless physical concerns demanded it.

oahu has hilly very bad roads and it';s easy even in a lowered srt10
Not to mention NO place to park there.

I (obviously) own and drive my Viper in and around NYC. ....... However, I drive in SERIOUS traffic
NYC traffic wouldn't be so bad except people drive down the center line of two lanes, taking up both lanes. I guess it's either because they are not sure where they're going, or the want to get the fastes lane so they hedge their bet and take up two. :rolaugh:

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Jorgensen quoted me $30k with tax for the conversion work. In addition, a 4-month lead time is required for the necessary parts to arrive. I might just have to learn the stick. Or like many of you said, resort to a Vette.

Thanks again.:drive:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Is the Viper an easy car to drive on a daily basis compared to most cars?
Not at all, in fact; If you were to take a list of all cars an sort them by dailydrivability the viper would be at the bottom of the list.

2. I have never driven stick before and I am planning to learn to drive stick with the Viper. Could anyone please enlighten me with the possible problems if I were to learn to drive stick with the Viper?
If you see a Viper in your future i strongly suggest learning to drive stick on an easier vehicle. The viper can make even an experianced stick driver look like a complete ameture with the bucking created by the combination of low end torque & drivetrain slop. You could literally end up looking like a 16yr old girl learning how to drive stick:)

3. What is the maintenance cost of the Viper?
The Viper does cost more than the average vehicle to maintain because parts are more expensive, labor is more expensive, and the amount of stuff that goes wrong(depending on the year, how the viper was driven, maintinance history, and... luck

4. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where traffic jam is constant and hills are everywhere. Given that I am used to driving automatic in this city, is it a good idea to learn to drive stick at all?
Putting a Viper in this environment with this driver i estimate the clutch would have to be replaced within 2 years but that might not be a concern because i also predict that if you purchased a viper that it would be up for sale within 1.5 years.

OP, Do you own any other vehicles? and what other options are you considering for the replacement of your Benze? I think that an automatic vette would be a much better option for you that you could actually enjoy in your driving environment. Is your Benze a droptop or no? If it is a droptop do you regularly drive *******?

WITH THAT SAID, YOU CAN SHIP A VIPER TO MARK JORGENSEN AT WOODHOUSE AND HE CAN PUT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IN FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE THE FUNDS AND WISH TO SPEND THE MONEY. MARK HAS DONE SAME FOR OTHERS.

Dumbest idea/advice on this thread IMO.
Because of you another Viper was almost neutered:nono:

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom426h, thanks for the opinion. My SLK350 has 268hp @6,000rpm and 258lb-ft @2,400-5,000rpm, and is a hardtop convertible. I drive it topdown whenever my wife is not with me, like once or twice every week, because she doesn't like the wind messing up her hair, and she loathes the sun that bakes her skin. I also sneak out on early Sunday mornings from time to time for a 2-3 hour drive and come home with her favorite food around noon just in time when she wakes up. I have parks and winding roads with lots of trees all around me.

I'd like to know what aspects of the Viper you referred to that are positioning it at the bottom of your daily-drivability list.

Also, what year of Viper is the most problem-free?

Thanks again.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score

To me the whole purpous of driving a sports car is the manual trans. Putting a auto in a viper is definately a:nono:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...because she doesn't like the wind messing up her hair, and she loathes the sun that bakes her skin.

Thanks again.

You better get the wife a ride in a Viper before any purchase as well. If wind in her hair is a complaint, she could find a lot of complaints in a Viper, especially compared to your Benz. Vipers are loud, low, hot, stiff suspension, etc.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might just have to learn the stick. Or like many of you said, resort to a Vette.

Thanks again.:drive:

Vancouver is every bit as hilly as SF ;) IMO . I'd drive my stick Viper every day if didn't have a DD already. Don't want to put the extra miles on the car [ 31.250 miles on it now] ! Take a professional driving course and you'll appreciate the driving experience of a stick car. I don't find driving the Viper any more difficult than my stick Mustang in the city. However ,the 4.10 rear makes bumper to bumper traffic less tiring. Instead of spending a fortune for an auto conversion , get a gear change :eater: