a Q for poeple running bfgoodrich 18" drag radials

Q8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a Q for poeple running bfgoodrich 18\" drag radials

a bought a set in 345/30/18 and mounted them on my stock wheels and set them at 24psi but that didnt was all over the place the car wasnt stable ! it hooked good but the rear was moving ..really scary so my Q is whats wrong with them ? am i running them with too much air on the street ?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: a Q for poeple running bfgoodrich 18\" drag radials

hmm.. I would like to know peoples impressions of this tire too, I am goign to be buying a new set of rears soon. So if they are worth a hoot, I'll get them instead of another set of Pirelli's or Michellin's.

Jon

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great tire for the 1/4. I run around 15 psi +/- a little depending on track conditions.

On the street, I run close to normal psi, around 27-29. Remember these tires have a very or more compliant sidewall than stockers, so be careful taking corners. However, they should still be stable at speed in a straight line, but will still get caught in the groves like the Pilots do.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I run mine at 28 all the time and I set them down to 22 if I am out looking for fun. They are great for the track and running around on the weekend, but you will only get about 3 - 5000 miles out of them if you drive them all of the time. Oh, they really **** in the rain...it is like driving on ice. Anyway, with 22 psi of air the sidewall is going to flex quite a bit, I would say that your looseness is normal. Bump up the pressure and see if your stability comes back.
Later,
Joe

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use 30psi for street duty, and 15-16psi at the strip. Excellent drag tires considering size (18"), and ok to toy around town, but I definitely would not want to use 'em as everyday tires. Not very stable at high speeds on public highways, and they pick up all the small debris on the road.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You didn't say what year car, however, if the frame/suspension (998 recall) is bad it will act like you are describing. That is a stretch, just check the rear frame/suspension mounts.

OP
OP
Q

Q8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks guys for your help :laugh: ill try to mount them back and see what happens if it still does the same ill just buy a set of 17s speedstar with Kumhos :laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang