A Real 2013 Viper Review

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

You said: " can't figure this one out (Spike of Death) . Unless you are talking torque-spike at low rpm and the ability to blister the tires at will"

Put the window down, open the door look at the front of the door.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gauges - The factory speedometer(as received) is unreadable in certain light condition. The reason is that the speedo is on the far left and the RPM read-out is large and centered., that is good, but, renders the left side of the screen useless in certain light conditions. You must program the gauge cluster to add the optional MPH data to the right side of the screen. The good part is virtually all critical data can be displayed with optional screens.

Never noticed a readability issue with the speedo or any of the other gauges. If you have your headlights set to auto, they tend to come on even when there's still a good amount of ambient light. If your dimmer is turned down the gauges and LCD screen will be hard to see. It is possible to hit the dimmer with your knee and not notice.

Phone Interface - All the info on my Android phone is viewable on the center console screen. Every now and then the car and the phone talk to each other, that is indicated by an update alarm on the phone?

Uconnect actually has its own 3G cellular data connection built in which is handy in itself, but it doesn't come with a phone number. If you pair your phone with with the viper via bluetooth it will automatically pull address book data from your phone whenever its in range and update itself accordingly. You'll be able to make and receive calls without having to touch your phone. It works well.

Hood - it probably weighs under five pounds. It is best to close it from the rear center. It takes no effort. The hood opens from the drivers side rear fender opening.

I just lower it by hand until it's about 7-10 inches from being close then let it fall. Both latches catch.

Gas Mileage - about 20 mph on the interstates.

Been able to get 22-25 MPG by keeping the RPM around 2K or less

Exhaust - this is the best OEM sound a viper has ever had. What everyone calls drone, is fluid resonance. Resonance in most cases repeats in multiples of the base frequency. Resonance in this car is in a range of 2000 to 2500 rpm, it peaks somewhere in that range. It will repeat itself again at twice that rpm. A muffler change will be available from Corsa very soon, this should eliminate or change the amplitude of the drone.

The term is harmonics, of the resonant frequency. I did not hear any irritating drone in my GTS with the windows up even in the RPM ranges you mentioned. Some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies than others. The viper is surprisingly quiet when you're just cruising and I think the stock exhaust sounds great.

Rearview Mirror - has a receptacle for a radar detector, nice touch. I sent my detector cable pigtail to Woodhouse prior to picking up the car. When I picked up the car it was ready for my detector.

I received a connector for this with my car which could be spliced to power any 12V device.

Cabin Heat - my Gen2 had no cats so this is quite different. The additional cabin heat is obvious. I have not had a 90 degree day to see if the A/C can keep up. In a couple of cases I could not get the A/C to flow from the upper vents.

AC is fine in mine; did not have any problem with flow from upper vents. It always works right when I turn it on.

Motor Operating Temp - On a 60 degree day when on the highway the motor coolant temp stays at about 185. On an 80 degree day in stop and go it stays at about 195.

Uhh...if the cooling system is working correctly the motor should warm up to and stay around 195-200 degrees F. The motor temp is regulated it should not operate at a lower temperature once the engine is up to its operating temperature due to it being 60 outside rather than 80. Mine stays at 195 whether its 60 or 90 outside.

Thanks for sharing this 'real' review and putting those pesky fake reviews to rest. Now to whip out the stone tablet and chisel...

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went on a cruise yesterday and watched my temps. Unless driving hard they stayed between 185-188. It was low 70s outside.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

You said: " can't figure this one out (Spike of Death) . Unless you are talking torque-spike at low rpm and the ability to blister the tires at will"

Put the window down, open the door look at the front of the door.

The black plastic/rubber triangle at the front of the door window? That is a carry-over from the Gen 3 and 4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21