A Real 2013 Viper Review

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caveat Emptor - my experience and therefore, some of the following opinions are subjective based on 13 years experience with my G1 and G2. I am sure the G3 and G4 closed the gap on the G5, however, I have not driven either of those cars. The comparison is further based upon the SRT version, therefore, the GTS may rate differently in some of the comments.

The following observations are not in any particular order:

The Overall Car - there is no reason this car cannot be used as daily driver in non-snow conditions.

Corsa Tires
- This OEM track tire is exceptional in the rain. I drove 800 miles in a down pour bringing the car home from Nebraska.

Gauges - The factory speedometer(as received) is unreadable in certain light condition. The reason is that the speedo is on the far left and the RPM read-out is large and centered., that is good, but, renders the left side of the screen useless in certain light conditions. You must program the gauge cluster to add the optional MPH data to the right side of the screen. The good part is virtually all critical data can be displayed with optional screens.

Back Up Camera - the camera is wide angle and is good as it gets. It can be programmed to stay on for five seconds after you leave reverse. There is sort of a quirk in that if you shut the car off in reverse, the accessory/screen options are limited or do not work.

Phone Interface - All the info on my Android phone is viewable on the center console screen. Every now and then the car and the phone talk to each other, that is indicated by an update alarm on the phone?

Gas Cap - they hid the open button for the solenoid operated gas cap, make sure you know where it is if you are picking up the car.

Trunk Lid/Glass
- this has had a lot of bad press because of the large gap. This is because the lid has a latch position like a hood and most people don’t close it all the way. There is also an open button at the rear of the car in addition to the key fob button.

Ride - I have the MCS shock set up and on the medium setting the car rides is very comfortable. The springs are 500/800. On the MCS shocks the compression adjusts from inside the car. The front rebound is accessible with the hood up. The rear rebound is adjustable by jacking the rear up about 4 inches.

Hood - it probably weighs under five pounds. It is best to close it from the rear center. It takes no effort. The hood opens from the drivers side rear fender opening.

Seats -I drove from Nebraska to Ohio over the worst roads (Interstates of Iowa, Indiana and Illinois) possible. There is nothing wrong with the comfort of these seats. The caveat is that I am 6 ft/200 lbs.

The is a better range of adjustment front to back and up/down than the G2.. The column mounted power pedal adjustment is easy/simple to use. I could never get the perfect position with my G2, not true with the G5.

Headroom - I am 6 ft tall and I would estimate it has a little better headroom than my G2. If you take out the rear seat height positioner blocks you will gain another inch, therefore, making it far better than the G2. I do have the seat adjusted all the down.

Gas Mileage - about 20 mph on the interstates.

Oil Changes
- this is the easiest car to change that I have ever had (I was told it is the same as the G4). The filter is vertical and in the open. When you remove the filter almost one quart of oil flows out of the adapter. It is either coming from the oil cooler or oil pan. It did take a full 11 quarts. The torque on the pan drain is 25 ft-lbs, just like the G2.

Transmission
- it is in a different class than the old T56. The shifter is far smoother and there is better gate separation. The ratios have been changed for the better. It is perfect for road racing or autocross. If there is a short coming it is that first gear is not as good (higher/lower numerically) for drag racing. This coupled with a lighter flywheel makes the car hard to launch consistently.

Spike of Death - for those that don’t have a car no further information will be given. For those that have a car, do you find it interesting.

Windows
- the door closes then the side window slides up approximately 3/4" into the roof. This gives the car far better sealing from the elements. When you open the door, the window slides down before the door can be opened.

Exhaust - this is the best OEM sound a viper has ever had. What everyone calls drone, is fluid resonance. Resonance in most cases repeats in multiples of the base frequency. Resonance in this car is in a range of 2000 to 2500 rpm, it peaks somewhere in that range. It will repeat itself again at twice that rpm. A muffler change will be available from Corsa very soon, this should eliminate or change the amplitude of the drone.

Fit & Finish - excellent

Interior - exceptional

Paint Finish
- On par with custom paint finishes and better (opinion) than any car in its class.

Floor Mats - crummy.

GPS
- due to the screen size and resolution it is exceptional. The map is also available as an inset when you are in radio mode.

12V Outlets: (1) Rearview mirror (switched); (1) front of console (concealed); (1) behind cup holders (always on), this one is standard in the GTS or comes with the “Touring” package.

Rearview Mirror - has a receptacle for a radar detector, nice touch. I sent my detector cable pigtail to Woodhouse prior to picking up the car. When I picked up the car it was ready for my detector.

Towing - the frame has the same “T-Bolt” slots, (front/back) in the frame that the G2 had. These are used as trailer tie-downs. The front of the frame accepts the front tow eye, however, unlike the G2, the fascia has to be removed to install it.

Jack/Lift Points
- The frame lifting points are now v-shaped protrusions that project about 3/4" below the frame. These are easier to see than Gen2 lift points when you use a jack for lifting.

Cabin Heat - my Gen2 had no cats so this is quite different. The additional cabin heat is obvious. I have not had a 90 degree day to see if the A/C can keep up. In a couple of cases I could not get the A/C to flow from the upper vents.

Motor Operating Temp
- On a 60 degree day when on the highway the motor coolant temp stays at about 185. On an 80 degree day in stop and go it stays at about 195.

Fascia - the lower part of the front fascia is going to get stone bruised far more than the G2 did. I am not a big fan of the paint protection film, however, I am going to get the front fascia done.

6-Point Seat Belts - the car is set up to accept the racing belts. The standard belts are virtually hidden, therefore, the addition o f the 6-points does not create a problem.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up.

I've noticed two things so far that annoy me. The "One touch up" window for the driver side for me will go all the way up then half the way down, won't stay up with one touch. Can't figure out what is causing it. The carpet on the passenger side by the sill has come out of the plastic covering it a bit, probably just needs to be tucked up a bit.

Road trip with the wife tonight, with the windows down, it was amazing. Lots of people taking pictures.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mention that it is harder to launch...has that been at the track, and if so, what times and traps have you seen thus far (keeping in mind that you are still getting used to it)?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperSmith. I had the same carpet issue with my 09. Put a little piece of velcro there to hold the piece up so I did not need to keep tucking it in. 50c fix.

Jack. Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you are getting off to a great start with your new Viper. Congratulations.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been playing on the streets, lower torque (down low), lighter flywheel and 7% higher gearing in first makes it tough. I have the corsa's, the car bites and then bogs. I am going to try it this week on 26" tires, that is, if they fit.

You mention that it is harder to launch...has that been at the track, and if so, what times and traps have you seen thus far (keeping in mind that you are still getting used to it)?

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool write-up thx!
regarding the cabinet heat, you say it's more than in gen 2? and the AC wasn't that good after all?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found the cabin can get a bit hot - but I've been driving with the windows down a lot (and the AC on lol). But, the windows up and the AC on, you don't notice the heat from the sills, personally I find it comfortable.

Wife and I drove in the county last night with the windows down awhile - it was 70 outside and we were comfortable - (we had the AC on 2-3)

Last edited:

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful car. Thanks for letting us look at it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 149

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish SRT allowed the stripe option they do on the SRT viper for the GTS because then I'd get black with red stripes but the SRT style. I don't like the GTS style. Otherwise stripeless looks better on the GTS

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, I only like the full stripes but with a SRT hood. Glad to see we can order it that way in 14.

Well if they do SRT stripes on the GTS hood then everyone is happy. In which case then it seems SRT got the design backwards lol.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good review Jack. You will find the air conditioning more than adequate with the windows up. It was very good in the G4 and even better in the new car. To add to your list:

Side pipe insulation is great--no wory about burning your legs wearing shorts.

The whine is gone from the rear differential and the slop or slack in the drive line is gone, too. Much better than G4.

Bill

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good write-up. I have some comments about a few mentioned:

Seats -I drove from Nebraska to Ohio over the worst roads (Interstates of Iowa, Indiana and Illinois) possible. There is nothing wrong with the comfort of these seats. The caveat is that I am 6 ft/200 lbs.

The is a better range of adjustment front to back and up/down than the G2.. The column mounted power pedal adjustment is easy/simple to use. I could never get the perfect position with my G2, not true with the G50

Headroom - I am 6 ft tall and I would estimate it has a little better headroom than my G2. If you take out the rear seat height positioner blocks you will gain another inch, therefore, making it far better than the G2. I do have the seat adjusted all the down..

On my drive back from Detroit to Houston, the seats felt a little hard, especially on my lower back. After about 1500 miles, the seats softened up quite a bit and are very comfortable now. The cushions just need to break in. Guys who are scared to put miles on their cars will never find out. Second owners will be happy. Ha!

Also, we are about the same size. I find headroom to be plenty, even if I put the seat all the way up. I usually kept it mid-level, it was easier on my eyes to get the door mirrors more in line with my vision, so that I could see at a better mirror angle. I do like that the seats can be adjusted height-wise, my Gen 3 doesn't have that.

Spike of Death - for those that don’t have a car no further information will be given. For those that have a car, do you find it interesting.

I can't figure this one out. Unless you are talking torque-spike at low rpm and the ability to blister the tires at will. :)

Trunk Lid/Glass - this has had a lot of bad press because of the large gap. This is because the lid has a latch position like a hood and most people don’t close it all the way. There is also an open button at the rear of the car in addition to the key fob button.

Another interesting note about that exterior trunk button. The SRT engineer at the plant showed me that if you just push the button, the hatch will only half-open and remain on the safety latch. That was intentional. If you give the hatch a gentle lift at the same time as pushing the button, it will open. No lift, no open. Give it a try.

Cabin Heat - my Gen2 had no cats so this is quite different. The additional cabin heat is obvious. I have not had a 90 degree day to see if the A/C can keep up. In a couple of cases I could not get the A/C to flow from the upper vents.

A/C in the Gen 5 works extremely well when on re-circ mode. On our week long road trip, we rarely had it above level 2 on the fan, it would get too cold in the cabin. Windows tinted made a big difference, of course. No complaints about the A/C, it gets very cold. Also, my car also has the occasional quirk about the air not blowing out the dash vents. I've found this happens when I keep the car in bi-level mode (feet and dash vents on) and I shut the car off. When I come back to start the car, it typically is just blowing on my feet. If I go to the climate screen on the radio, and click on dash vents only, they come on. Then I can click back on bi-level again. It is definitely a quirk related to the radio. I'll wait for SRT to have a reflash on that, hopefully.

Tony

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well done. still burned legs a bit with shorts on with the slide over over the side exhaust pipes...no biggie, thought it was cool actually. I've been cruising with windows down so cant comment on the a/c. Not sure how u close the front hood from the center unless u have go-go gadget arms but I usually just close from the drivers side where it opens and it seems ok; very light and what a great view with it open. The rear hatch looks really cool open too; u can really see the CF and materials that were utilized in manufacturing that gave lots of weight savings. Today before a cruise a friend noticed how two small lights go on inside that area; Question: will they go out on their own after some time or will they stay on? we went crusin so I didn't stick around with it open to find out? obvious battery concern there.

Having driven a stick in decades since every thing is F1, e-gear, flappy paddles etc these days but gotta say its pretty user friendly. I'm not a great driver but I feel comfortable with the shifter and the clutch pedal is light. Been shifting between 3500 & 4000 RPM's. My timing isn't perfect but the challenge in the vehicle's operation is part of the fun for me; plus, you feel like you're driving a high performance supercar this way and not using a video game.

Floor mats aren't great and I thought the car didn't even have any until I checked that back hatch area. Llyod's or westwind is prolly in my future. Interior is just outstanding is every way, Been playing with the "up" and "down" buttons on the steering wheel and it looks like there's lots of information to access there; I think I found the hibernation setting for the battery during winter months on there today. The diagnostic button is a good idea.

Rear view camera is great. Reverse gear requires no acceleration on a falt surface. 1st gear is my toughest gear as well. 2nd winds up high never 4000, pull the trigger and find 3rd and then.......wait you're doing like 60mph in really low RPM....is there a need to find 4th and high? lol I mean even on the highway? gears 4-6 must be for high speed highway or track use. The car is very fast and will travel at a high rate of speed in the lower gears!

Noticed a message that said "speed must be zero" once and I think it had to do with timing being off. When I started over again at the next stop and put her in 1st the message went away and "ready" came on. Not sure what that was about...thoughts? (couldn't find in owner's manual)

Exhaust sounds great...doubt I'll mod it after all. With all the Euro cars I've had, its nice to hear the American Hot Rod sound for a change. I'm fine with what guys call "drone" and think the louder the better.

The venom wheels are great looking and the rubber around them gets comments (on width) every time.

Appreciate the review and hope I added something constructive to it given my experiences so far. Lots of you guys are more experienced in the Viper arena and in snake operation. Any break in tips or operation suggestions?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Speed must be zero" is when you try and type something into the navigation while moving. It won't allow it. It will search for things pre-programmed, but you can't type in an address or a business name while moving. Similar message also pops up when you try to scroll into one of the timer (1/4-mile, etc..) functions. Have to be stopped to reset those.

You haven't experienced the Viper until you cross 6000 rpm in any gear. Shift just before the 6,400 rpm limiter , when you see the snake glow to bright red in the back of the tachometer. That bright red snake is your shift light.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny...I've never used the nav so not sure how that "speed must be zero" message came on.....as for RPM's I've reved up near those #'s at idle in neutral. I'm sure I'll get there in gear eventually as my confidence continues to grow with its operation and as I continue to learn her personality. Any idea if those hatch lights go out or if they stay on? would be kinda cool to keep it open with the front hood open together at a C&C or at a meet.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't admit to revving in neutral. That isn't really good for any engine, to be free-revved at max rpm, without being under a load.

All the interior lights eventually go off, there is a timer. That is to save the battery life.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah just reved once to hear the exhaust; saw the CEO do it at a cars & coffee so I figured it wouldn't hurt once; understood that having the clutch engaged with higher RPM's is obviously healthier for the motor, even if it has those forged pistons. Good to know about the lights...battery life was my concern.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*having gear engaged

PS whats up with the back "pop" sound in the exhaust? is that an American muscle thing?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5545351_exhaust-burble-causes.html

Exhaust Burble on Deceleration
An exhaust burble, or throaty popping noise which could be likened to a babbling brook, is has a different cause if it only occurs when suddenly backing off on a vehicle's throttle. Essentially, the sudden easing off the throttle causes an immediate decrease in exhaust emissions to the degree that atmospheric pressure surrounding the exhaust pipe pushes cool air up into the exhaust system. This air collides with the warm exhaust gasses and creates a rumbling not unlike thunder. Normally this will only happen if the tailpipe has too wide a diameter to maintain equalized air pressure, or there is a seam in the exhaust pipes which is not air tight.

My business partners RS5 does the same thing. Love the "burble" sound!

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the trunk lid issue, you can just push it lightly one additional time to close it. It takes exactly the same touch as the front hood on a 911. Close it gently, then cinch it down with another light press right about where the latch sits underneath.

Porsche designed theirs that way on purpose. I would be SRT did too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21