AAAAARRGGGHHHH!!!! Someone baked my Viper

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I walk out to the parking lot today after work (private buisness lot) to find out that someone backed into my rear bumper. Of course they took off without leaving a note or anything. I'm fu@king livid right now. That car was perfect!!!! Screw going through insurance and having my rates go up! How much do you guys think it'll cost me. The damage does not look that bad BUT I want it back to perfect.
Will a good body shop be able to repair it like new or am I looking at replacing the whole rear bumper.
I need a few beers....

Dave

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****. :(

Just pull the rear bumper cover and have it painted. Only take your car to the body shop to have it re-installed. Should not cost more that a few hundred $$'s.

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:p
288crunch2-med.JPG

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm having some engine work done at DC Performance in the next few weeks. Is it possible to take off the rear bumper cover only and have it sent to a body shop, without the rest of the car? It would be great if I could kill two birds with one stone. It makes me not even want to drive it with that gouge in it.....

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go with a new rear bumper cover, get a take-off from someone that went with a Hennessy or ViperMed body kit. You will save a ton of $$.

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where can I get a good price on a new bumper cover or a take off?
Anybody got one for sale?
This ***** ****!!

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That just bites bad.. Sorry to hear about this.. :(
I had to get my back bumper redone, cost me about $500 but i didn't have any tears or anything in it.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out www.viperpartslarry.com

Inventory shows a 1996 rear bumper cover - may have a 1997 as well. Otherwise, make sure you use a GOOD body shop for paint matching and striping. We had some work done to Henry's 1996 and the body shop matched the paint PERFECTLY - so don't worry - it can be done.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it was my viper i'd do it right & get a whole new cover...
best of luck w/ it. if done by the right shop you'll never know...

tim

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with every one about getting a new bumper cover. Since it's soft plastic patching it would not hold up even if you leaned on it. I can't imagine it would cost that much to just replaced it.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel for you! All parts are painted before they are put on car when new anyway. Shouldn't be a problem for a good bodyshop to match it up.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GRrrrrr...

Start looking underneath the bumpers of trucks and SUVs there in your parking lot tomorrow...someone is bound to have blue curls of evidence up underneath their rear bumper (assuming that's what tore the gash in yours).

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ***** bro! I'd hunt them down and,well you know. But I would get a new piece.I had a front neo/plastic bumper cover fixed and it cracked 2 years later.It was a front piece,maybe repairs are better now.Best of luck in/on all areas.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know they made ovens big enough...

J/K :) That's horrible, beautiful GTS tho, it'll be good as new when you're done

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd repair the scratch/cut. Imagine the questions from the next potential buyer. You replaced the cover because of a scratch? Yeah right! No flame, just ran into the same issue when my rear cover was burned by the tailpipes. The dealer said no one would want a car with a replaced part because they would assume a major rear end collision. Good thing you have pictures!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, it can be plastic welded. SEM make a plastic repair epoxy that works good too. Viper blue is a pretty easy color to match also.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAAARRGHHH is right. I hate to see any Viper damaged, especially a blue/white. That's no scratch, it's a *****'n gouge! Do you have a security camera on your parking lot? I'd love to get my hands on that tape and get the plate # of the a-hole that did this!

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Submit through insurance ! Uninsued motorist coverage does not go against you. You will not be penalized ! (just get a police report). Good luck !

Butcher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats pathetic, the a**hole that did it couldn't even fess up to their mistake. It's no wonder insurance rates are so high. The sad reality is the ***** probaly didn't have any. I feel for you, had the same thing happen to me except it was my body & motorcycle that took the beating. A young (stupid) girl pulled out in front of me & had I to lay it down. All she could say was "soorry". Of course no insurance. Had to take it upon my self to pay for her mistake. :mad: At least you can take comfort in knowing what comes around goes
around. :smirk: :D

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked to my insurance guy at AAA and it looks like I'll only have to pay the $500 deductable. He assured me that my rates would not be affected due to the fact that I was not involved. Oh well, it would have cost way more to replace/fix it anyway. Do the body panels have some type of code as to tell if they are original to a specific car? I don't think so, but could be wrong.
Definitly going with a new cover.
And no, our POS parking lot does not have a security camera :mad: