Accident at Viper Days, need insurance help!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently heard that some insurance appraisers get aftermarket parts quotes off ebay, check out message boards, etc. Be careful what you post. There is an edit/ delete option for your posts, just so you know.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timing, awards, all that stuff is inconsequential. Regular insurance ends the minute your vehicle enters the competitor area. Even the guy taking water to the corner workers is not covered.

A good rule of thumb is, if you have to sign a waiver to get there, you won't be insured once inside.

I disagree with the above. I have run many a drivers ed as an organizor & instructor as well as a participant.. I have seen at least 20 claims that have been paid & 2 that have been denied. The Porsche club of america calls thier events drivers education for that very reason & states in the sups that NO TIMING OR RACING IS ALLOWED. Many private events say the same. The fact that you sign a waiver to get into the track is that you ARE now covered by the liability insurance that is provided by the organization or the track itself, which in most cases also provides catostrophic accident insurance. The only coverage that I have seen denied was USAA & Progressive.

The old days of covering the car with a tarp & paying the tow driver to throw it in the ditch ended with digital cameras. Your car was probably on a web sight 1/2 hour after your accident.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year at Viperdays, I believe John Belinke had put together an insurance package for track cars and he made several presentations and appeals to promote the concept. I'm not sure if he had any takers or not, and I know it wasn't cheap, but it did directly address the situation being discussed.

I assume you've already talked to Skip, Ed, and I realize the reference above is after the fact, but for everyone else - check with Viperdays if you have any concerns before you run to find out what options are available. Otherwise, you should probably be prepared to cover your own loses.

Best of luck Ed, and here's thanks that your son was OK.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timing, awards, all that stuff is inconsequential. Regular insurance ends the minute your vehicle enters the competitor area. Even the guy taking water to the corner workers is not covered.

A good rule of thumb is, if you have to sign a waiver to get there, you won't be insured once inside.

I disagree with the above. I have run many a drivers ed as an organizor & instructor as well as a participant.. I have seen at least 20 claims that have been paid & 2 that have been denied. The Porsche club of america calls thier events drivers education for that very reason & states in the sups that NO TIMING OR RACING IS ALLOWED. Many private events say the same. The fact that you sign a waiver to get into the track is that you ARE now covered by the liability insurance that is provided by the organization or the track itself, which in most cases also provides catostrophic accident insurance. The only coverage that I have seen denied was USAA & Progressive.

The old days of covering the car with a tarp & paying the tow driver to throw it in the ditch ended with digital cameras. Your car was probably on a web sight 1/2 hour after your accident.

Agreed. :2tu:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was truly during instruction period and the track wasn't full of other cars, I would get someone to fight it for you that has experience fighting Ins. Co's.!

You know the rule of Ins. Co's deny coverage 1st. Then see what happens!!

Absolutely NOT true. And for those who say "screw the insurance company" "get what you can any way you can"..... that is the most ridiculous drivel I have ever read.... and to be honest, I am tired of that worn out BS. If it weren't for insurance companies.... you probably could not get a mortgage for a house, or a loan for a car..... The world economy would be a far different beast were it not for Insurance Companies.

Ask the people in southwest Florida if they are glad to have insurance?

I work as a Director of Commercial Claims for a major carrier, and our claims associates do NOT engage in such tactics... I am not aware of any major carrier that would condone such behavior. In fact, that is what's termed BAD FAITH CLAIMS HANDLING... anyone company engaging in such practices can be sued for punitive damages far exceeding the policy limits.

Get an attorney if you disagree with the interpretation, and file suit.... or you could just demand to speak with the claims manager, escalate the issue till you have exhausted speaking with all the line management.

Bottom line, everyone needs to read their insurance policy before track use... or get an opinion from your agent. There is also track insurance available, it is reasonably priced.