ACR 7.22 at the Ring.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome!

Not to take anything away from the driver (it must be nigh-impossible to get a perfect lap of the 'ring in without a manufacturers resources), but the time is even more impressive since it can obviously be improved upon significantly.

If I ever meet the guy who did that, drinks are on me.

Anyone know any details of the run? The tires sounded rather loud, but I assume they were PSCs? Was the car lowered? I did hear what I thought was tire-fender contact. Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see the story here.

Last edited:

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's awesome, and without factory support? What a beast :2tu:

What did that ZR1 techmobile run? I forgot already..

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Story:
2009 Dodge Viper ACR Sets Nurburgring Lap Record - Auto News - Motor Trend

So SRT rented the Nordschleife for a half-day (at a cost of $2000 Euro per hour), shipped two ACRs over to Germany, hired a pro driver through Zakspeed (a race team that runs Vipers in the ADAC Zurich 24h Race at the Nrburgring), and hoped for good weather and, more important, a lap time quicker than 7:26.

That's why the guy struggled. half a day and I believe a total of 4 laps. Pretty amazing job actually.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be that ******** package that put him over the edge. Anyway great run.

Bruce

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great run, but it's hard to believe that the driver was an experienced Viper Pilot. I would have like to have seen Mumford pilot that car......

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What was all the noise that sounded like bottoming, especially in the Karrousel?
Sounded like wheel to fender liner contact to me.

What made the shifter hammer back and forth on several occassions?
That was the car hitting the rev limiter, and the engine was shaking. He didn't even go into 5th on the back straight!

Last edited:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a well deserved, if not overdue, 'Ring' accolade for the Viper. We all knew the Viper was more than capable and the one to beat but a documented 7.22 at the Ring leaves no doubt - even for naysayers. Props to team SRT for making this happen.:2tu:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the presentation tonight it was actually Coronel's 3rd lap in the Viper where he set that time....and all he'd asked for was a little adjustment on the shocks....pretty damn good if you ask me. Sure, half a day at the track and more laps might shave a few more seconds off that time....but it holds against the best GM could do with a hoard of support, engineers, etc.

The gauntlet may have been thrown by GM, but answered rather decisively if you ask me!

Regards,
Aaron

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like the wrong gear in the car, Smacking the limiter, Needs to have another setup in the car.. jmho..

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope the next time they run, they will at least leave the stock driver's seat in there. Then it will be 100% stock. For those that say the seat wouldn't matter, then why change it out?? ;) Still baddass!!! :headbang:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job! Although I wonder a few things:
- What was all the noise that sounded like bottoming, especially in the Karrousel?

- What made the shifter hammer back and forth on several occassions?

- I think the ZR 1 driver was a GM tester...a very fast driver, of course, but not a professional racer. I wonder if the ACR gained any time by way of a faster driver?

- The ACR driver's hands were very busy. The ZR 1 driver seemed much less so. I wonder what that means?
Regardless, bragging rights are certainly back in our corner.
Well a professional driver can mean a lot more than 4 seconds against a engineer as in the ZR1 video the driver actually lets off down the staight at about 177 mph far before the brake zone. Buts thats 2 bad for them you run what you brung and it looks like the ACR was the better package today. I also think if the viper had better different gearing it would of been much more dominant as the gearing currently doesn't seem to agree with the rings configuration and to me looks like it hurt the ACR's time, the ZR1 video the vettes gearing seem to be a perfect match for the course.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ain't that a kick in the head for the ZR1 owners paying 20K over sticker...2nd place..
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

How 'bout a lil **** with breakfast??

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW a new record....

WOW... because it's a Viper (finally!) and WOW because the driver is a Dutch guy!
Tom Coronel drove the Zakspeed GTS/R the last years at the 24H of the Ring.... but they could only drive with a modified (V8) engine.

Tom unfortunatly never made it into the F1. He had a good chance at Arrows... but missed it in favour of Jos Verstappen. Tom was champion in the Chinese F.... championship and is one of the best racers we have in our little country.
I met him once, sure know what to talk about if I meet him again next time.

Found some intresting pictures of the ACR at the Ring on a Dutch site.
You must be registered for see images

Seems like the car is stock....

So we could only imagine how it would be if Dodge decides to make a /R again from this phenomenol racer!

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok cmon where is all of the guys that said the ZR1 would be the leader? Come on out
The ZR1 was driven buy a GM engineer tech and NOT a pro Viper driver with only a 2 second difference. Plus most Corvette and Viper owners dont track their car and with the majority being street driven, the ZR 1 will kick ass on many new Vipers.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom Coronel's Biography:
1990: Tom starts racing.
1991: Citroen AX cup -> Champion
1992: Touring cars and a bit of Formula Ford -> Champion in touring cars
1993: Dutch Formula Ford 1800 championship -> Champion
1994: Euroseries Formule Opel -> Second place
1995: German Formula 3 championship -> Seventh place
1996: Japanese Formula 3 championship -> Fifth place
1997: Japanese Formula 3 championship -> Champion
1998: Formula Nippon GT series -> Second place
1999: Formula Nippon -> Champion
2000: Formula 1? -> Didn't work out as planned....

2001: Dutch Touringcar Championship, FIA GT championship, Le Mans (in the Gulf Audi!) ->A lot of bad luck that season
2002: European Touringcar championship and Le Mans (Racing for Holland)
2003: European Touringcar championship, Formule Nippon, Le Mans (Spyker Squadron), 24H Ring (Lister Storm),
2004: ETCC, Le Mans (Racing for Holland),
2005: WTCC, Le Mans (Spyker Squadron)
2006: WTCC, Le Mans (Spyker Squadron)
2007: WTCC, 24H Ring (Zakspeed Viper first in their class second overall), 4H of the Ring (Zakspeed Viper),
2008: WTCC, VLN Championship (Zakspeed Viper)

So I guess he's not a "standard" driver...... ;)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, like that ZR1 at the ring was not totally prepped for months before it's race and they just picked some shlub out of the weeds to drive it. The time is the time.

What's that sound? It's ZR1 owners who paid 20K over sticker for 2nd place fainting this morning. :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys going into the carousel there was a bit of a drop or bump and at that rate of speed and ride height of the car, you will get some inner fender well rubbing. I have motons on my car and run a pretty conservative height and get rubbing at 70mph at big dips in the road which compress the suspension signficantly. One happens on major ungulations in the road at speed but it does happen.

Nonetheless, 7.22 is awesome. Definitely can be improved upon. He even missed a shift here and there. What also impressive is he looks like he is just taking a cruise.

Nice going SRT!

Sounded like wheel to fender liner contact to me.

That was the car hitting the rev limiter, and the engine was shaking. He didn't even go into 5th on the back straight!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's impressive! Anyone notice how much the shifter was bobbling around? Mine used to do that when my motor mounts went. Nonetheless, that was a great video!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where are the limited set of rings to celebrate the ocassion. Just a simple "Lord of the Rings" style ring with the time, date, car and driver engraved in fire insignia. Send a few to the corvette clubs.

The reason this is so great is because this was an off the floor factory car. I know everyone says that the ZR1 there is a floor model, but they seem to be non-existent on the street. Grab a floor model ZR1 when they are actually produced and have them re-run the Ring in that. i am thinking wit emissions dialed in, the street ZR1 will not be as potent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave