ACR paint issue

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my new ACR and noticed some paint defects, has anyone else had paint issues. My car is a new 2009 and the problem is that it almost seems like the bodywork under the paint has a seam that is showing behind the passenger door about 2 inches. The mark runs up and down and is about 4 inches long. Their are a couple of other areas with the same but not as bad symptom. Has anyone else seen this on their car because I for one am not happy about a 100k car with inferior paint. My Porsche paint blows away the Viper finish.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen several cars with this same issue. It alomst looks like it is resting on something inside the body panel that is pressing it out. It is not on all cars though. Mine is fine.

Bruce

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess then a lot of people have this problem which means the QC at the plant *****. So now what do I do, have paint work done and have someone down the road tell me the car is worth less because it's not factory paint? No way if several cars are like this should they be leaving the factory, had I seen this on my car at the dealer I would have not taken it but now it's 1500 miles from the dealer and it becomes a problem. The dealer has been great and willing to be helpful but I'm not sure I should take a new car that needs paint work. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have several paint issues on my car also (along with a mis-machined area on the ABS part of the front splitter), but decided to leave everything as is since it came that way from the factory. Whoever compounded and waxed my car at the factory did a terrible job also, but I will fix that myself in the future. You are right, a 100k car should not have these defects, but I love the car so I accept it as is. :D

p.s. where are the pics of the new car???

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have several paint issues on my car also (along with a mis-machined area on the ABS part of the front splitter), but decided to leave everything as is since it came that way from the factory. Whoever compounded and waxed my car at the factory did a terrible job also, but I will fix that myself in the future. You are right, a 100k car should not have these defects, but I love the car so I accept it as is. :D

p.s. where are the pics of the new car???

You are to be commended, I am having a hard time accepting the flaws! I hear the staff has been way cut back so the QC has suffered. I can see a minor flaw but the obvious stuff bothers me! Maybe I'm spoiled b/c my GT3 is literally flawless. Does this mean the 2010's will be tainted also?

My car arrived in lousy weather but it's beautiful here now so I'll get some pics up this weekend. Also I want it clean before I post any!

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of ACRs with similar issues...brand spanking new with lots of paint flaws...you are not the only one.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe after you put a few miles on it you will forget about the flaws.... ;)

Trust me, I'm not happy about my car's flaws, but the alternatives (attempting to get a local dealer to fix them or not purchasing the car to begin with) sounded even less appealing. It will probably get more flaws as time goes on (rock chips, etc), so it just got a head start... LOL!

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a shame that after 18 years of building the Viper they can't get the paint right! What a disappointment when I got my car. none of us should have to take the oh well what can you approach, we spent good money for these cars and they should be perfect. We sell 30-40k Acuras in bulk and their is never a paint problem. I plan on getting in touch with Dodge to make them make good for the shoddy work, let's see if they stand behind the product.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the post-bankruptcy cars. I also have seen this, but the 08s seem perfect.
consider yourself lucky. Both the ACRs I saw w/flaws are 08s...
:( but are also black, which show a LOT more all the little imperfections...

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality doesn't seem to be job one these days especially for a $100K plus car. The were paint flaws with my car. I had a professional correct the problems. Panel fitting on these cars also ****.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am shocked to hear that this seems to be common, I don't remember seeing any threads regarding the lousy finish or body issues.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am shocked to hear that this seems to be common, I don't remember seeing any threads regarding the lousy finish or body issues.

Are you sure that we should be posting about bad QC, lousy finish & body issues ?

I'm sorry about your ride not being up to par. After reading your post i went to the garage took off the car cover & went over mine with a flourescent light...Mine looks good no runs, no errors, no bad finish or body issues..

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a black 08 coupe and the paint is absolutely flawless. There is also next to no orange peel.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This really ****** me off and I know its true. And I am tired of the PC save your job crap replies from the SRT team question and answer session that just took place last week or so. If you do a search on this, I asked them EXACTLY what you guys are talking about as many have complained of poor paint quality on the new cars -OVER SPRAY- and guess what, they avoided my question but said "our quality control is still a top priority with the Viper" or something to that effect. BS . And they avoided my question in the previous go around too about no more Mobil 1 at dealers and if a Quacker State oem engine oil cap was in the future. They will only give you simple non jeopordizing answers in their replys and I am done with their forums. Please post to the so called grail keeper on this paint issue. Yes, Porsche would not let this happen.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure that we should be posting about bad QC, lousy finish & body issues ?

I'm sorry about your ride not being up to par. After reading your post i went to the garage took off the car cover & went over mine with a flourescent light...Mine looks good no runs, no errors, no bad finish or body issues..

I'm not sure why we should not post about bad QC and body issues if it's fact! Four guys have posted the same unhappiness with either the paint or panels and one said he has seen "several" cars that are tainted so please tell me why it should not be discussed. Your lucky if your car is straight but it seems like a lot of us are not!!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my car and I have never noticed anything but the most minor flaws. It seems like you may have bought the wrong car if you are that upset about a minor paint issue. I drive my cars, I don't put them in a glass display case.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my car and I have never noticed anything but the most minor flaws. It seems like you may have bought the wrong car if you are that upset about a minor paint issue. I drive my cars, I don't put them in a glass display case.

Who said anything about a glass display case? May have bought the wrong car? What are you saying, that a 100k car should be flawed? Please stay off the thread if you don't have anything insightful to say!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure why we should not post about bad QC and body issues if it's fact! Four guys have posted the same unhappiness with either the paint or panels and one said he has seen "several" cars that are tainted so please tell me why it should not be discussed. Your lucky if your car is straight but it seems like a lot of us are not!!
Well said and thats one reason this forum exits, to inform, whether its good or bad. And when you pay 90- 105k for a new car you should expect a perfect paint job.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we went to CAAP during VOI 10 we saw how they quality controlled the paint. Every car went through a "light tunnel" and the paint was examined for flaws. Any car with any kind of paint defect was put in a holding area until it was flawless. The damage may have been from the assembly line or from the Saleen paint plant. Either way the panel was repainted or repaired to perfect condition. My 08 paint is flawless. Hope they didn't change the QC because the OP is correct a car like Viper should come with flawless paint.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get over yourself. I was adding my INPUT and OPINION. I never said anyone else mentioned glass display cases. I MENTIONED IT! It sounds VERY clear that you bought the wrong car, had you bought a different ACR that didn't have the minor paint issues you would have been happier.... NO? get the chip off your shoulder friend.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said and thats one reason this forum exits, to inform, whether its good or bad. And when you pay 90- 105k for a new car you should expect a perfect paint job.

Both of your posts have been right on! Why should we keep quiet, I contemplated returning my car and the one reason I probably haven't is that the guys at the dealer are so damn nice! I CAN live with the defects or get them fixed but it needs to be addressed to the factory that they are putting out a substandard body and paint product. My buddy has been in the body biz for 30 years and when he came over and saw my car he was blown away by how bad the quality of the paint is. Looking at my GT3 next to the ACR is like looking through a clean glass window or a cloudy one, that's the analogy I come up with.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My panels are great but I have paint issues as well. My 97 had better paint when I bought it used with 11K miles on it and 8 years old.

I am torn on this one. It's an awesome car but damn if it isn't the most I ever spent on a car and the worst factory paint job I've ever seen. Having said that my friends do refer to me as the "Detailing ****".

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get over yourself. I was adding my INPUT and OPINION. I never said anyone else mentioned glass display cases. I MENTIONED IT! It sounds VERY clear that you bought the wrong car, had you bought a different ACR that didn't have the minor paint issues you would have been happier.... NO? get the chip off your shoulder friend.

The bottom line is that no Viper should have finish issues period! When you are purchasing an item that is made to be w/out flaw but discover that they are numerous you have every right to have a chip. You should not see creases under the paint nor should their be any shortcomings, yes it should be perfect. As far as getting a flawless car, I bought mine from 1500 miles away, I did not have the luxury of seeing it first. But again I'm in the car business and expected nothing but perfect and I was wrong!! I'd like to meet the guy who signed off on some of these cars and take him to an optometrist!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we went to CAAP during VOI 10 we saw how they quality controlled the paint. Every car went through a "light tunnel" and the paint was examined for flaws. Any car with any kind of paint defect was put in a holding area until it was flawless. The damage may have been from the assembly line or from the Saleen paint plant. Either way the panel was repainted or repaired to perfect condition. My 08 paint is flawless. Hope they didn't change the QC because the OP is correct a car like Viper should come with flawless paint.
I have also been to the plant twice and they put their best pair of pants on when they give a tour. The 08s and previous years have not been much of a problem paint wise. Its the 09s. The holding area should be full now unless they are turning a blind eye.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lets not forget all the changes that Chrysler has been going through in the past two years. Its amazing that they were able to even continue making vipers. But I am a Dodge fanatic through and through. I would never own a Porsche just because it has a better paint job. I have never come across any car that makes me as happy as a viper even if it is flawed I would still rather pay 100k for an ACR than more than that for a perfectly painted inferior car.;)

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint on my 08 and 09 are flawless, from my reviews of the cars thus far. However, my 09 ACR was an early build, before bankruptcy. The only paint issue I have had is the Sport Cup tires sand blast the lower panels, worse behind the front tires than the rears. I have found the PS2 tires are not as bad about throwing sand.

-David

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, poor Chrysler. If your going to make an expensive sports car, do it right, including the paint. The Porsche is far from inferior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21