ACR paint issue

Hoodoo Man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers are not selling well. FiChrysler says it needs sales to improve. Issues of quality should matter to a company that wants to expand sales. There will always be a core of people that that will overlook quality, but I don't think that its possible to expand the sales base of a $100,000 car without ensuring the quality of the product.

Larrry

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are not selling well. FiChrysler says it needs sales to improve. Issues of quality should matter to a company that wants to expand sales. There will always be a core of people that that will overlook quality, but I don't think that its possible to expand the sales base of a $100,000 car without ensuring the quality of the product.

Larrry

+1 I just dont think fiDodge is too concerned as they are just getting rid of their extra parts for 2010 and throwing the color palet in to call it a day:(....Kevin

Reaction score
WOW, all I can say really. I have probably seen more and handled more new Vipers than most here and everyone is a little different. This is because it is hand built and assembled. I'm as anal or worse than most so I notice every little thing also. I just know that the chance of perfection is slim to none for me and try to deal with the variations of "perfect". I don't think anyone should have to deal with serious issues and I think you should go to the dealer and have them repair your faults. It will be fine future wise if it would matter anyway.

I can understand your rant here and empathize fully with you. I also know the people at the plant take their job and their "babies" very seriously. They would be upset that you were disappointed. They are also people though and you know what they did to the last "perfect" person that walked the earth.

We have seen things that were repaired because of flaws and we repaint things all the time before offering it for sale. We want the customer to be ecstatic about their Viper so we go the extra mile, but even we are not perfect. I hope that this works out for you that have issues you dislike and I'm sure the warranty will take care of these through the dealers without a problem. Even them there are some of us that will spend countless hours making it even "more perfect" after we thought it was perfect! :lmao:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the part that I am missing here is what has been the response from the dealer and dodge? Did they offer to correct the problem? Did they blow you off? Are you simply looking to see if other people have had the same problem so you can strengthen your case with the dodge?

If I had bought a new Viper and it had paint issues and the dealer or dodge offered to correct it to my satisfaction, I'd be happy with that ... perhaps I am crazy.

Complaining without a point is pointless, just saying.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the part that I am missing here is what has been the response from the dealer and dodge? Did they offer to correct the problem? Did they blow you off? Are you simply looking to see if other people have had the same problem so you can strengthen your case with the dodge?

If I had bought a new Viper and it had paint issues and the dealer or dodge offered to correct it to my satisfaction, I'd be happy with that ... perhaps I am crazy.

The dealer is 1st class, Baxter in Omaha. I am getting all my ducks in a row before I take it to Dodge. The dealer has given me 100% support and I'm confident if Isk them Dodge will too! Part of the reason for this post was to see if I stood alone and the other part was to hopefully get some knowledgeable feedback which most of it has been! I did not mean to paint a picture of my car falling apart but as someone said earlier diff. people have diff. tolerance and I'm not one of them. It's like our homes, we want them done correctly when building/renovating. Would anyone accept a crooked kitchen countertop or a gap in the wood flooring, how about new furniture with a scratch or dent, you get my point. I don't care what anybody says, the fit and finish on a car that has been being built for almost 20 years should be perfect, period!! Some yahoos keep bashing Porsche, well I will let anyone who wants to look at my GT3 and after they get their jaw back closed they can look for defects/flaws...good luck!! That's the way it should be, no excuses about hand built or company issues, if it can't be done right then don't do it. And what Mike said is true, the staff I'm sure takes great pride in what they do and maybe they don't have the resources to make it right, I don't know. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, I just believe 100k is worthy of correctness.

i

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a problem ... orange peel and blisters are usually prep related and not final finish issues. It could be that the paint and finish did pass final inspection very well and after inspection, the underlying problem caused a surface defect.
I also don't see the point in railing against other manufacturers and those who choose to buy them, there are a lot of cool cars out there, just think I happen to have the coolest one :)
We can all enjoy our cars without having to put down others.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a problem ... orange peel and blisters are usually prep related and not final finish issues. It could be that the paint and finish did pass final inspection very well and after inspection, the underlying problem caused a surface defect.
I also don't see the point in railing against other manufacturers and those who choose to buy them, there are a lot of cool cars out there, just think I happen to have the coolest one :)
We can all enjoy our cars without having to put down others.

If I did not agree with you I wouldn't have bought my 4th new Viper! My compalints are simple, the paint should be more clear, the seams and trim pieces should ALL line up and it shouldn't have a 4 inch stress in the body work that looks like it's trying to break out the paint. I also forgot the overspray on the side exhaust trim piece! I love the Viper in part because it's American made and in part b/c of it's prowess.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the selling dealer explain all of these paint issues to you before delivery?

If not, you should call them to pick up your car (yes, they pay both ways) and get it fixed.

It's the dealer you should be upset with if, and only if, they did not give you fair warning about these issues before you paid to have it transported.

The 'factory' does it best, but, as I understand it, the 'factory' does not paint the cars at all. It is all done via a third party (Prefix).

-J

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the selling dealer explain all of these paint issues to you before delivery?

If not, you should call them to pick up your car (yes, they pay both ways) and get it fixed.

It's the dealer you should be upset with if, and only if, they did not give you fair warning about these issues before you paid to have it transported.

The 'factory' does it best, but, as I understand it, the 'factory' does not paint the cars at all. It is all done via a third party (Prefix).

-J

In all honesty I don't think they picked up on it, it's a Bright blue like yours but solid and they were very surprised when I informed them. I am very particular b/c I had a nightmare paint issue with my Lambo and now I'm ultra cautious! As I said they are 100% behind me and very open minded to a solution, we almost considered doing a collatoral replacement but I love this friggin' color and wouldn't want to lose it. Either way the car is tainted but I can decide to fix it or live with it, bottom line is my frustration b/c it's there!! Let me say that w/out a doubt the dealer is very honorable and supportive, by no means am I upset with them!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all honesty I don't think they picked up on it, it's a Bright blue like yours but solid and they were very surprised when I informed them. I am very particular b/c I had a nightmare paint issue with my Lambo and now I'm ultra cautious! As I said they are 100% behind me and very open minded to a solution, we almost considered doing a collatoral replacement but I love this friggin' color and wouldn't want to lose it. Either way the car is tainted but I can decide to fix it or live with it, bottom line is my frustration b/c it's there!! Let me say that w/out a doubt the dealer is very honorable and supportive, by no means am I upset with them!

It is a warranty claim so the selling dealer should instruct you on the appropriate Chrysler Warranty rep in your area and have them review and then fix the paint.

I cannot see how that would affect resale as it will be a documented warranty claim. And I certainly do not think your car is 'tainted', not in the least.

-J

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing is perfect that is for sure.

My friend just bought his new 08' Scuderia in white and after 8 months the front bonnet looks yellowed in the sunlight. I think it is a clear coat issue, but it is hard to tell. Regardless it is not horrible but it now has a slight yellow tinge. He just settled with Ferrrari for $40K and a new replacement hood, which he will have painted and installed here in the US, and hang his original hood on the wall.

My point was that all cars have issues. My Viper has a slight imperfection at a certain angle (which seems to be common based upon this thread) but why let it eat me up inside from enjoying the vehicle. It is a car after all, not a work of art to hang on the wall.

Mark J, have you seen this panel issue imperfection behind the driver's door before?

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you coloviper! I extended myself and traded in a FGT last Jan. and bought a new 2008 LP640 Lambo. The car was in the showroom with 23 miles on it, the passenger side close to the wall. I bought the car and the day it got to my home was Jan.31, a beautiful day but 30 degrees. A couple of my friends came over to see the car and as we were looking I noticed the pass. door was a diff. color then the rear 1/4. Two days the Lambo rep was at my house with a build sheet that stated the door was repainted at the factory due to damage. My friend who does nothing but high end work had the car for 3 plus weeks and had three paint suppliers in to get the color right, it was pearl orange. They basically had to disassemble everything from the pass door back to and including the bumper, rear bonnet, rear intake, sill vents, you get the picture. The car came out perfect but it was such a lousy experience that I lost the good feeling that I had when I bought it (and we're talking 300k plus) and inevitably sold it in October anbd bought the GT# which I am ecstatic with. The moral is you are right, nothing is perfect but being the car guy and perfectionist that I am I just feel certain things shouldn't exist on a high end product. I guess I might be even more sensitive to this stuff after what I went through with the Lambo!! Sorry for the long story, appreciate your input.:2tu:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got to admit, my ACR has what sounds like the same paint flaw... It's on the passenger side fender, and there's a one-inch "lip ridge" that is perpendicular to the body line down the top of the fender about a foot in front of the passenger door hinge. It's definitely not a paint flaw, though - it's in the moulding of the fender. There must have either been a flaw in the fender mold, or the fender 'buckled' very slightly when curing. I don't think the factory would have bothered to fix it - it would have meant grinding all the way down to the fender material, smoothing it out, re-priming it, and re-painting it.

It's really not THAT noticeable, but I definitely did notice it when the car was out in the sun and I was waxing it. Ironically, it's in exactly the same place I had a paint flaw in my GTS, and I learned to live with that one, so I just figured it's the nature of the beast. I agree these should have better QC on them, but they are what they are...

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying front fender? My buddy said it's up to me, he'll fix it if I want but mine is on the rear 1/4, about two inches behind the door and it also is perpindicular, about 3-4 inches long.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is definitely on the front fender. I'll bet these flaws aren't in the paint but in the plastic fenders - at least that's what mine looks like. I thought about ******** to the dealer, but I'm afraid they'll massacre it when trying to fix it and I'll be worse off...

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is definitely on the front fender. I'll bet these flaws aren't in the paint but in the plastic fenders - at least that's what mine looks like. I thought about ******** to the dealer, but I'm afraid they'll massacre it when trying to fix it and I'll be worse off...[/quote

You can have your own people fix it if you choose and get reimbursed as long as the dealer is in on what your doing! In other words they will want you to be happy as long as they don't get hosed on the repair cost!

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again ,for a $100K plus car, nobody should have to pick up the phone to make a call to correct a problem. It should have been taken care of at the factory when it passed through "quality control" before it made it to the dealership. If i didn't love the car, I wouldn't have bought a 5th Viper. It just too bad that our quality standards aren't as stringent as our competitors.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fat,lazy,spoiled,overpayed non pride pigs- period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So genius, what exactly would your solution be??? Should they take the jobs to Mexico? Or would you rather pay $400k for the same car but with all the pretty **** of a euro car?? Obviously you are talking out your ass and have never been to the plant and met any of the people there. I am sure that given the time that they would like to spend on each car they would come out perfect but the workers aren't in charge are they? They are also not the ones in charge of tolerable flaws. Not to mention that the painting is done in a NON-UNION shop!!!! SO go ahead and keep talking out your ass and keep proving to the world how smart you are.:2tu: Yep thats right I am calling you out on this one. I was just getting compcoupe21 twisted up by my Porsche comments since he took something wrong I may as well go all the way;) No hard feelings Compcoupe21.

Granted you SHOULD be getting a lot when you pay $100k for a car, but I think that with a Viper you are getting what you pay for.... A BADASS CAR. It may not be perfect but its HANDBUILT in AMERICA. When was the last time you heard of a mechanical issue on a new viper? You think other cars that cost more don't have issues? They do, just on parts you can't see, the ones that really matter. :usa:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again ,for a $100K plus car, nobody should have to pick up the phone to make a call to correct a problem. It should have been taken care of at the factory when it passed through "quality control" before it made it to the dealership. If i didn't love the car, I wouldn't have bought a 5th Viper. It just too bad that our quality standards aren't as stringent as our competitors.

who would you call vipers "competitors"? The low cost vettes that have engine problems and mechanical issues galore, or the ubber expensive euros that still get beat by the viper on the track even with their plush interiors?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
J&R3XV10

I think my Viper is the sh*t when it comes to performance and bang for buck. Dependability, ease of maintenance, heck ya. But I don't think that just because my car is built in America by American's that I should be willing to overlook fit and finish on a 100K+ car. I worked hard to buy this Viper, and the one before...Why should I have to "make do"?.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J&R3XV10

I think my Viper is the sh*t when it comes to performance and bang for buck. Dependability, ease of maintenance, heck ya. But I don't think that just because my car is built in America by American's that I should be willing to overlook fit and finish on a 100K+ car. I worked hard to buy this Viper, and the one before...Why should I have to "make do"?.

My point is that for the cost of a viper (if you paid 100k+ for an SRT non ACR you were robbed) you get what you pay for. Again it is hand made - that means it is NOT going to be perfect every time. If you are expecting perfection than maybe you should be looking at a $400k car. I have never seen Dodge advertise the viper as "perfect" its advertised as a street legal race car and thats exactly what it is.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My point is that for the cost of a viper (if you paid 100k+ for an SRT non ACR you were robbed) you get what you pay for. Again it is hand made - that means it is NOT going to be perfect every time. If you are expecting perfection than maybe you should be looking at a $400k car. I have never seen Dodge advertise the viper as "perfect" its advertised as a street legal race car and thats exactly what it is.

Oh, I'm sorry..A car bought at invoice..BUT MSRP on my Aero coupe was $103,075. That's what Dodge is asking. For that price, it better have excellent fit and finish.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry..A car bought at invoice..BUT MSRP on my Aero coupe was $103,075. That's what Dodge is asking. For that price, it better have excellent fit and finish.

You go Shooter! You know what, we keep talking about 100k cars and lack of "perfection" but let me tell ya, if I was buying a 25k car I'd be unhappy if the paint was sub par! This is 2010 not 1965, yes manufacturing in this day and age needs to be excellent or people won't buy your product, maybe that is how the big 3 lost it's market share over the years to the imports. Is it a question of inteligence, I don't think so, maybe it does come down to the worker, well we can't say that b/c alot of the imports are built here so what is it? Maybe it's mgmt. and how the company is run and maybe that's is why Chrysler will soon be gone and GM, once the most powerful company in the world may someday follow. Business is business and it is imperative today that you produce a product that is top notch and for the most part the Viper is. As I said earlier in a post, I love Vipers, I bought 4 new, 2 used and also owned a Comp Coupe. Now anyone who has looked at a CC up close knows the reason the mesh shows through the paint is b/c IT IS a race car, the body is not meant to be perfect! A Viper or an ACR are track monsters but they are not "race cars", they are production cars and after so many years on the line I can't think of one reason why they should lack perfection. Sunday I plan to give my car a full blown detail and you know what, my own QC will be at hand and I can promise you that I won't miss a spot, that is how I do things and how I like things. I hope this thread has enlightened some folks, I'll say it again "I LOVE MY VIPER'S" and hope to always own one throughout the rest of my life! DO THE RIGHT THING CHRYSLER AND IT'S STAFF, WE THE OWNERS ARE HERE FOR YOU!!!:usa:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J&R3XV10

Very well said on all counts. Hey SRT boys, are you seeing this stuff or just throwing up your arms and saying "oh well, the plant will be closing soon but we will address this matter when we re-open."

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That's B.S. I would expect an excellent paint job if I was buyng a $30K Honda Accord. Yes, it is true that this is hand-built car and that panel gaps can vary from car-to-car (I know cause I've owned three of them). The issue here is quality assurrance is not up to the standards of most of the automotive industry when it comes down to paint finish. I had this issue with my 2004 where there were obvious clear coat "runs" down the left front fender. I couldn't quite understand how this could have left Conner Ave. this way. And to top it off, the windshield wipers (which I didn't have to use anyway) did not function because the harness in the steering column was never connected. Once again, how could this car leave the factory like this (obviously it was never functionally checked)? Nonetheless, I still love my Vipers.:2tu:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+1 Pointless and damaging to Dodge and the fine designers and workers who assemble our cars.

My '08 has had some warranty work, but so has every other car I have owned, including Porsches. Furthermore, while my Dodge Dealer (Orange Coast Dodge in Costa Mesa, CA) may not look like our local BMW or Mercedes dealers, they are equal or better in terms of what counts: great service that is courteous and efficient in accomplishing the task.

I have a 600hp car with a warranty that is effectively a street legal race car! (i.e., SRT) Really, it does not get much better than this.

By your admission, you have an excellent Dodge dealer. Just have the Dealer repaint and replace as necessary and enjoy your awesome, iconic car!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Vipers, but it is kind of funny to think about how great the team did to design and engineer these cars, yet the frigging Hyundai I just rented on a business trip had better fit and finish, nicer interior, etc.

I don't know if it's because the Viper is a low volume car, or if it's because ten thousand different suppliers and subcontractors are providing the parts for it and they won those contracts by being the lowest cost bidder... I work in the world of contracting and subcontracting, and believe me, if we have to take a serious haircut on our margin in order to win a deal, and we know that the customer most likely won't be in a position to renew the contract when it's over, we're not going to kill ourselves to make everything 'perfect'. We'll do what the contract tells us to do, and as long as we meet minimum deliverables, we'll focus our energy on the contracts that actually pay us for the time it takes to make things 'perfect.' it's a matter of dollars and cents, and making payroll. Many customers just don't understand that, they play hardball with suppliers, and they get what they pay for. I honestly think that's a big factor in this situation.

Sure, the factory should fix these things before letting it out of QC. But they've probably got to draw the line somewhere, and I know the paint flaw on mine isn't something that sticks out like a **** in a punchbowl. I don't fault them for not spending two or three man-days to fix it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21