ACR Rattler Update From DC

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Fellow Rattlers. Just a brief note to advise that "Chris" from Dodge called my office this afternoon and advised that our letter was "under review" by Team Viper and that a response would be forthcoming soon. As this is the first real confirmation of any action, it deserved a post. In the meantime I received an E from Chuck Tator asking If I might want to try his proposed as yet secret fix for our problem. I will be contacting Chuck in the next couple of days and explore his offer. If it would help in finding a fix for all, It is worth considering. Keep the faith
Bob Carroll

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel so bad about the rattlers. At least they can be tuned to handle REALLY well. The new Dynamic ones seem to be woefully short on compression. I wouldn't take the new ones as a "fix" unless they "fix" the new ones also (somehow I doubt that'll ever happen).

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Bob. Hopefully, DC will take assertive affirmative action to rectify the situation. I too received an offer fron Tator's to submit my car for the fix. Haven't had time to act on it.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,
Thanks for the update.
Please take Chuck up on his offer, and you too Joe.
Call me and I will take the ride with both of you.
PNUM very interesting comment on the DSP situation.
I had not heard of this before.
Do you think it is the spring rate?
I know it is different from the KONI shock package.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that because the shocks are so soft that they are trying to compensate with stiffer springs. I kept going harder and harder until I was almost maxed out. I thought I might have had a bad set until I spoke with a couple of people. Dave Jenkins (who knows everybody) knows somebody at Dynamics who confirmed that the ACR shocks are very soft and if you plan on tracking the car they have a different shock that will work much better (at a pretty steep price).

I'm gonna get mine dynoed this week to see if it's just me, so I'll let you guys know.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PNUM,
I am not 100% certain, but I believe the springs are much stiffer on the DSP setup Vs. KONI 1000#/sq in Vs. 600#/sq in.
ACR Joe has played with the KONI setup extensively.
For racing purposes not just the rattle.
Thanks.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, springrate is expressed in pounds of force per (linear) inch of deflection - not pounds per square inch.

Hey Paul, are the Dynamics single- or double-adjustable?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I never hear any rattle. It's obvious that people are hearing it, so thats making me wonder why mine doesn't.

I bought this car from a guy up in Illinois and he said that it did do it a little bit, but only when it got cold. So I'm wondering since I'm down here in Florida, if maybe the weather (cold) has anything to do with it. I don't know. It is good to know that if I do start hearing the rattle that there is someone working on a fix.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, they are double adjustable...nice units, but just lacking compression damping (so it seems to me). Rumor has it that they pumped up the spring rate to try to fix the soft shocks. Worst part is that Dynamic doesn't sell a kit to rebuild the shock stiffer. If anybody knows of anyone that does do it, I'd love to hear from them.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean,
I stand corrected. Thanks.
But is the rate really that large of a difference 600 Vs. 1000
and correct for each?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

The 600#/in rate is correct for the fronts. I have heard from reputable sources that the rears are closer to 1100#/inch! I'm running 600/800 on my Penskes.

Paul,

I haven't studied the DSP closely enough to know how feasible it is, but perhaps bumping the nitrogen pressure toward the higher end of the range would help the bump curve.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean,
Thanks.
Now I am even more confused.
I am going to see if I can obtain the correct info for both DSP,
and KONI.
Will keep all posted.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, I think the rates are 500 or 550 front (think 500 though) and 1100 rear. The car is a bit of a handful and you need to be quick to catch the oversteer, but the weird part is that at times it's too soft. I'm not sure how your shocks are setup but I think I'd be closer to 600/950ish with Penskes. The Schleys have the same setup as you and their car had a pretty big tendency for understeer (safe, but not as fast).

Springs are pretty cheap. You might want to try 950 rears and just start out with minimal shock setting so it's not too drastic. The car will require more concentration and smoothness, but I bet it'll be a bunch quicker overall. Just my 2c.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe & Sean,
I thought you guys knew that is between little and none!

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,
I heard you are going to get "Tatorized" next Friday.
Good luck and let us know your thoughts Friday from Chuck's.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PMUM:
The Schleys have the same setup as you and their car had a pretty big tendency for understeer (safe, but not as fast).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They may look the same on the outside, BUT - are they the same
inside? ;)

Thanks for your suggestions.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John ACR:
Dean,
Thanks.
Now I am even more confused.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adjustable shocks can get you that way. Keep records, drive methodically, keep records, drive...

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the guy that dynoed the shocks and my suspicions were true. They are woefully underdamped (esp. the rears), borderline useless shocks. We're gonna try to contact Dynamic and see if they are a bad set or if that's just the way they made them, but there is very, very little compression & rebound in the rear. While it's obviously better than stock, it's still a joke especially considering the premium paid for these things. I'd take the Konis for the track all day long (rattle or not). For the street, the new ACR shocks are much more supple, so I guess it depends on your intention.

Chrysler clearly jacked up the spring rates on these things to try to mask the lack of comp. & rebound.

As always...just my 2c.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob Carroll:

Any further word from DC? Did you do the Tator thing? If so, what were the results?

Based upon the above posts, the DSI's don't sound like any bargain either. If Tatorizing works, it indeed may represent the best solution.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PNUM,
Once again some very interesting DSP information.
ACR Joe and others with KONIS,
I spoke to Chuck "Tatorized" Tator and he was in touch with Bob
who did hear from DC. Therefore he did not get Tatorized last Friday as scheduled. I can tell you this: yesterday I took the beast out for ~ an hour and 50 miles without a shock rattle.
Joe call me or Chuck to try and schedule your ACR being the second TATORIZED ACR test vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960