ACR Shock Question

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Examining my 2000 GTS ACR I noticed something strange. The right rear shock assembly appears to have come from the factory mounted backwards as the adjustment window in the top eye is pointing towards the differential instead of the wheel assembly. My question is if I disconnect the top eye by removing the bolt attaching it to the frame, can I leave the clevis bracket attached and spin the top eye 180 degrees without changing the setup? I'm assuming that the shock absorber shaft would allow for that movement, but I'm hoping that some of you would confirm that for me.

Thanks!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty simple job!

Jack up the RR side, remove the wheel, place a jackstand under the frame, let the suspension hang free.

Measure/mark the location of the spring adjuster then unwind the adjuster to relax the spring.

Remove the lower retaining bolt.

Remove the upper retaining bolt and conical bushings.

Reverse the adjuster window (simply turn it).

Reverse the above procedure - connect the upper shock link first.

I have zipper on my shocks but that's a whole different story.

EM me if you need more help ..........

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sonny:

Sorry I forgot to mention ....... after reassembling the shock/spring assembly, you will need to re-torque the mounting bolts. With the vehicle still supported by a jackstand under the frame, jack up the vehicle under the lower control arm and torque the lower shock mounting bolt to 140 ft-lb and the upper to 100 ft-lb. This is very important.

Good Luck ...........

OP
OP
S

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe - Thanks very much for the reply. The service manual is helpful, but it doesn't really address a simple problem like mine directly. I have found this board to be a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate your advice!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible that you could turn the top eye 180 degrees without loosening the spring perch. If not, Joe's way is the next option.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unwinding the spring adjuster is necessary to relax the spring so that:

1) The shock/spring doesn't extend under heavy tension and mare the frame or the upper shock mount.

2) Compressing the shock/spring to reinstall the unit is extremely difficult. The Koni's are gas charged and it is fairly difficult to just compress the shock in order to align the mounting bolts.

As you may be aware, I have been seeking a technical solution to the dreaded ACR shock rattle so I've removed the shock/spring assemblies several times. My practical experience is reflected in these posts.

Once again, good luck .........