ACR - Wax or not - Composites??

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using Adams products tomorrow on my ACR but not sure if the wing, etc., are compositives supposed to be waxed. Meaning, do you wax the wing, etc?

Any other ACR owners want to comment?

Last edited:

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most composites are clear coated. I always wax or but a paint sealant on them (anything but Zaino:smirk:).

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to post some pics.

I used Adams "Revive" on it and then put two coast of Adams Buttery Wax on top. Brings out the black.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adams polishes rock - I've tried many on the market and now I exclusively use Adams. I even got brave and bought their polisher this past Spring and used it on my black 400 original mile '07 GT500. I followed the DVD, and the car looks so much better than when it left the factory. Unbelievable depth and no swirl marks. I'll never hand wax again.

I just stocked back up at Fall Carlisle. If there is one Adams product that beats everything out there it is the detail spray. Absolutely no smearing or leftover residue. Wonderful stuff...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Meguiars new quick detailer is very good too if your car isn't very dirty.

Use a clay bar, random orbital polisher, Griots paint sealant and Meguiars quick detailer on my black, 2004 Viper with 42,000 miles on the clock and regularly get the question, "Is that a new car???"

Dan

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since more composites and carbon fiber has been clear coated you don't need to use anything special on it. A good wax for paint sealants works well. Here's a pic of Paul Dalton waxing the all carbon fiber Koenigsegg CCXR Edition.
IMG_01971.jpg

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here are a few questions from a rookie....

Are the clay bar and polishes just basically cleaning agents that are applied by hand?
Do todays cars really need these?
Do u then wash the polish off and then apply the wax ,, or do u just go straight to the wax?

How long does a wax last? i currently apply meguairs wax applied by hand but it's pretty much gone after one damp towel wash?

Last edited:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clay bar removes surface contaminants. Polish is a commonly misused term, but in general it's the step before waxing that removes imperfections (swirls, scratches, etc.). If you don't need correction, go to wax as a protectant. Some use manmade sealants instead which last longer but many say don't shine as much (especially on red and black cars). Different waxes last different amounts. Exposure to sun makes a difference. I use Pinnacle Souveran wax applied by hand, but polish using a dual action buffer (not the cheap ones that are 12" and sold at walmart... they only go up to about 1500 rpm. DA's go up to 6k RPM). I'm not brave enough to use the rotary buffers, which aren't random orbital.

Read this:

Car Detailing Step-by-Step

The forums there are great. I went on there because I had swirls on my 360. Met some great people, and instead of just paying for a great detail they taught me how to do it myself. I like wrenching on my cars, figured I could start trying minor detailing. Did it the other day on some swirls on the 06 coupe, was very pleased with the results.

You've got a ton of choices... some are all-in-ones, some are 10 step systems. I used to use Zaino, but now I'm trying some other stuff because Zaino took way too long (I've heard they've since been easier to use and dry, but I haven't gone back).

Is your head spinning yet :)

Here's a great thread showing paint imperfections in a Viper, with some great post-detail shots. Notice how many steps he took:

Rec 05 Viper. Heavily Modified! Esoteric Auto Detail - Autopia.org

So here are a few questions from a rookie....

Are the clay bar and polishes just basically cleaning agents that are applied by hand?
Do todays cars really need these?
Do u then wash the polish off and then apply the wax ,, or do u just go straight to the wax?

How long does a wax last? i currently apply meguairs wax applied by hand but it's pretty much gone after one damp towel wash?

Last edited:

tiger6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treat the composite parts of the ACR the same as the painted surfaces-wash, polish, seal, wax topper coat or 2. Don't know what color your ACR is, but if it is black and red, try the Pinnacle Souvran or Wolfgang line of products. These work very well with darker colored cars. Remember that you can NOT put a sealant over wax but you can put wax over sealant.Auto Geek and The Detail University have a good selection/prices as well as complete instructions. As was mentioned here, Autopia.org is an excellent web site for detailing info etc.
Good luck and show us some pics when you're done!:2tu:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info achilles....that post on the red viper is pretty cool

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. As Tiger said, Pinnacle Souveran is great on red and black (but I'm sure will work on any other color). It goes on like butter (literally, it goes on like hot butter). VERY easy to apply. Wax on, wax off :) My problem with Zaino was the insane amount of waiting between steps (at least before they invented that catalyst). I think they fixed that by now. Not sure if you can use it with a dual action machine, either. Since most people on Autopia used other brands (each brand with different levels of polishing power, from fine to coarse), I did the same.

I will say that Zaino's leather products are second to none in my opinion, still use them!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i picked up a random orbital polisher today.. boy is that a fun machine...

i inspected my car and it's free from swirls or scratches.. so i picked up some polish and wax.. applied the polish and removed by hand.. applied the wax by hand and removed with the orbital...

applied some chrome polish to the rims

and took some pics....this could get addicting....autoform splitter goes on this weekend

c171.JPG

c18.JPG

c61.JPG

Last edited:

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes! Put down the AutoZone $29 polisher - in fact throw it away before you damage your car - and get the Porter-Cable. If you can pay $80k - $100k for the car, then $200 or less for the PC and correct pads is just pennies!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it is probably worthless.

I recommend a Flex 3401 or at the very least a Porter Cable ROB. Anything less is a waste of time. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX