ACR wheels....availability and pricing...

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I see alot of posting about these wheels and their being hard to find.....I kinda dropped out of the Viper stuff for a while, but I ordered several sets of these wheels at a huge discount a few years ago from my local dealer and they were no problem to get at all (sold them all but one extra set)....I still have 3 sets (2 sets came on the Vipers)

questions

...are they still made ???

...can they still be ordered ???

...there were approximately 1000 ACR Vipers made to the best of my memory(4,000 wheels)plus the extras made by BBS...looks like there should be plenty of these wheels floating around for sale for a long time...

...........just curious

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt they are still being made, as ACRs have been out of production for over 4 years now.

Now, as far as supply at the dealerships, dont know. Guess I could call mine and ask whats in the system.

Its supply and demand, at the offering price a dealership wanted for theirs, most people didnt want to pay it, so the used market became appealing.

There are definitely better wheels out there, but as far as stock gen 2 wheels, the ACRs are hands down (IMO) the best looking.

I like them because they are the lightest weight and best looking and OEM equipment on a gen 2 viper.

I dont think their is reason to panic, because I called a lot of folks and there were TONS of 1's and 2's laying around in a lot of peoples shops. So if someone wanted to build a set cheaply, I can give you a ton of people who have them.

What I wanted was 1 complete set, all made at the same time, all part of the same family. Jon B came through for me on it.

Jon

PS. NON Chromed ACR wheels I truly believe have THE most value. Because Chroming is a LAST step for the wheels. I think anyone who has PERFECT shape ACR wheels should NOT get them chromed. Only chrome a set thats been curbed badly, etc, as once you chrome, UNCROMING them becomes near impossible. And I truly feel/have been told that the Chroming process exposes the wheels to extremely high temperatures that actually weaken them. Since I later found out that the 4 ACR wheels I sold with my car were BENT, I can only conclude that it was due to the weakening of the wheels through the chroming process. I dont expect to chrome my new ACR wheels unless I curb them bad enough that I need to.

Sorry about the rant.

OP
OP
S

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I chromed a set just because I wanted them on my F.E. ACR.....thought the chrome would look good(it does).....but I agree chroming is the wrong thing to do as far as value, stock is always best...

...I guess it's just hard to believe it's already been 4-5 years since I bought the cars...time flies...I'm going to check the dealer tomorrow and see if they still show them in the system anywhere.....who knows, they may be extinct already :) ...seems like the last new sets I bought were either $2200 or $2700....I do remember paying $600 to have a set chromed

...agree, they are the best looking wheels on GenII(maybe any Viper)....just a pain to clean :)

...I figured there were plenty of extras around, even if not complete sets...I just haven't looked(didn't need anymore)

....thanx for the info/insight....anxious to see a pix of the wheels on your coupe....

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I cromed a set too, but only because I had a slight altercation with the paint on two of them. It really did help to "set off the car" though to chrome them, so im not sad I did it. But honestly, I am a huge promonent of chroming them if you like that look, but please only do it to a set that needs to be "freshened up" because its a sin to ruin perfectly good stockers, because I do strongly believe it weakens the wheel unfortunetly.

If you got a set for 2200 or 2700, that is an absolute steal. Please include me in such an opportunity if you would. Matter of fact, if you arent going to be calling them any time soon, would you mind sending me the contact information so I might call them?

Dont worry, I full plan to post photos just as soon as my set arrives, which probably will be towards the end of next week.

Thanks,

Jon

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree they are the WORST wheels to keep clean. Damn it's neverending cleaning these things. I can drive around the block a few times and already they are coated with brake dust (in the front) Ugh...

But on my Silver ACR they match perfectly and i wouldnt put another rim on my car :)

OP
OP
S

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
purchased them at Goodwin Dodge, New Castle, Indiana....1-765-529-3780....

Burke is the parts manager....

...at the time I chromed my set, it was easier just to order new and pick them up at the dealer....used ones were selling as high or higher than new ones and I didn't want to mess with used ones...

...I left them painted on my graphite/silver ACR and put the chrome ones on the F. E.

...latest info.....called the dealer a few minutes ago....the current price on the wheels is...

retail... approx $3485. per wheel
my cost... $2,280 per wheel....they are still available new, front and rear

one wheel retails for more than I paid for entire sets back when... :shocked:

...Burke (parts guy) told me the reason the pricing was so much higher these days is they are no longer considered a warranty item and since Chrysler isn't buying them anymore the manufacturer normally raises the price(there may have been several price increases)...he remembers selling me some for less than $3k per set...but that was about 5-6 years ago....I bet at $14K per set retail, sales are kinda sluggish these days.. :)

OP
OP
S

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
261 wheels @ $3485 retail = $909,585.00

261 wheels @ dealer cost $2080. = $542,880.00

my businesses are all about turning $$$, not warehousing them... :)

a new set of ACR wheels costs nearly as much as a new Ram SRT10 :) :) :)

OP
OP
S

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, and sadly, there is 129 Fronts in the Chrysler warehouse in Michigan, and 132 Rears in that same warehouse.

Talk about waisted stock :(

Jon

...one other idea....I recently bought some Prowler parts at a great discount(at my price).....the dealer net work has things in stock at various dealers, they were most willing to MOVE the items cheap.....there might be a dealer with new wheels in stock wanting to dump them out of their inventory...my parts guy told me there were several on the dealer list, but I didn't go any further, didn't cross my mind at the time...might get a deal from some dealer with a couple in stock and no ACR customers within a hundred miles...

at my age, I doubt I'll wear mine out anyway :)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 funny I thought of the exact same thing, cept my parts guy acted like I was waisting his time. Any chance your guy could provide you with a list you could email me? I don't mind doing some ground poundingm

Thanks

Jon

Reaction score
261 wheels @ $3485 retail = $909,585.00

261 wheels @ dealer cost $2080. = $542,880.00

my businesses are all about turning $$$, not warehousing them... :)

a new set of ACR wheels costs nearly as much as a new Ram SRT10 :) :) :)

Yeah.....must be nice to be able to get by with a stock turn of...well......000001 or something like that!! LOL!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a "cheap" front ACR wheel - doesn't have
to be pretty, just true and hold air. Curb rash okay - chrome
is not.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a "cheap" front ACR wheel - doesn't have
to be pretty, just true and hold air. Curb rash okay - chrome
is not.

Daddy's got ya covered. I got an extra front with a partial set I am getting, but its in near perfect condition. I can do $950 for it, but thats it, I bought 2 for 2k and buying 2 more tomorrow for $1750.00

These wheels aint cheap no more. I am WILLING to change out a front for a rear, cuz right now I have 3 fronts and 1 rear. Let me know.

Jon

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ACR wheels regarding chroming process

Jon,

After reading this post and questioning the validity of the information (nothing personal, maybe you were right) I felt compelled to contact California Chrome who did my ACR wheels (which I will be selling to go back to stock), which are perfect and true 2 years later. I asked them for their professional opinion on the post above and reposted below, remember this is from a company that does a whole lot of chroming, California Chrome and I have no interest other than sharing some fact.

If your post was based on documented information please provide some source information to the group. I think this would be the responsible thing to do, as many of us have had or would consider having wheels chromed and would find this information meaningful. Where did you get the information?

One more thought, both OE and aftermarket chrome wheels are everywhere, if this "process that exposes the wheel to extremely high heat", it seems the number of chrome wheels on the road would eventually dwindle to zero due to relaibility and failure issues.

Below is the Cali Chrome response in blue:

>Jon
>
>PS. NON Chromed ACR wheels I truly believe have THE most value. Because >Chroming is a LAST step for the wheels. I think anyone who has PERFECT shape >ACR wheels should NOT get them chromed. Only chrome a set thats been curbed >badly, etc, as once you chrome, UNCROMING them becomes near impossible.

<font color="blue"> We re-chrome wheels every day. The quality of the finished product is largely due to the condition of the base metals the chrome plating adheres to. Please read the re-chrome section of our website under plating services. Calchrome.com </font>

<font color="green"> I just had one of my ACR wheels rechromed to make it right for the next owner and the result was perfect, timing was good and customer support excellent. Everything went as was planned, time, price, etc. In fact, they took partial responsibility for the cost as a CS adjustment makeing it all good </font>

&gt;And I truly feel/have been told that the Chroming process exposes the wheels ?&gt;to extremely high temperatures that actually weaken them.

<font color="blue"> Chrome plating does not expose the wheels to extremely high temperatures. Do you think that the heat generated by braking weakens the wheels? The heat from braking has higher temperatures then chrome plating process will ever create.
</font>
&gt;Since I later found out that the 4 ACR wheels I sold with my car were BENT, I &gt;can only conclude that it was due to the weakening of the wheels through the &gt;chroming process.

<font color="blue"> It takes a lot of pressure or a good impact to bend a wheel. This is usually caused by hitting *** holes, railroad tracks, curbs, shipping damage, etc. to flat spot or create an out of round condition. These conditions are never caused by the chrome plating process.
</font>
<font color="blue"> California Chrome Wheel Inc.
661-294-0170
Calchrome.com</font>