ACR Wing, paint, C/F question

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my car out to an autobody shop to have the ACR aero installed and a few cleanup paint items on the car.

The shop painted the wing black, which I want exposed c/f.

Question is, can the wing be safely stripped then recleared?

thanks for any input

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chemically No. The chemicals in the stripper will react to some degree with the resin that was used to manufacture the wing and in a worse case scenario can lead to delamination and failure. There is some absorption of the chemical into the resin that may interfere with paint adhesion also.

When it came time to remove paint from the jets in the backgorund of my avatar, we use very fine plastic or organic media to strip the paint. Even then, it would very slightly abrade the resin. But the damage is easily fixed by sanding and then clear coating.

Another thing you could use is wheat starch or baking soda. Less agressive still.

Chemical stripping is often done on the metal parts of the jet, but the composite parts are masked off to prevent contact.

Steve A.

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the paint be safely mechanically stripped?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having spent lots of time out at Nellis AFB, I know there is alot of civilian aircraft industry in the area. (at least before the recession hit).

If you look around I believe that you will find someone who can strip the paint mechanically using the media I described above.

Steve A.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI if you have dual stripes and want your car to look like it came from the factory they paint the wing. Dual stripes = painted wing, driver stripe = no paint on the wing. Monotone color = painted wing. Black centerband = no paint.

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI if you have dual stripes and want your car to look like it came from the factory they paint the wing. Dual stripes = painted wing, driver stripe = no paint on the wing. Monotone color = painted wing. Black centerband = no paint.

i have a drivers stripe, black centerband. Thanks for the info!